ARCHIVE

Gradual Release Model

>

Smiles66

Gradual Release Model
Old 02-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I have been using the gradual release model (Debbie Miller's Book - chart) and have been searching for how to set up a thorough unit for each of the reading comprehension strategies. I know that student's drive our instruction. But...I guess my question to you is, how many times are you thinking aloud and modeling before moving into a shared activity? The reading lady has some great info on her site...but everyone's units are different. How do you plan for gradual release?

Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

planning
Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand that you're saying you need a plan in place, but at the same time you have to teach to the kids. That's why I set out a big goal and then subgoals. (See my blog)

Sometimes, I need to do one model for a subgoal, but other times (when they aren't getting it), I do it more than once. I find that breaking down the strategy to the exact skills necessary helps me see the path I'll take, but still allows me to be responsive to the kids.

Does that make sense?
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles66

Thanks Bookmuncher
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

See, this is what I am doing now...teaching to the kids level with a goal in mind and modeling when they aren't getting it. The problem I guess is, that I'm stuck in how many times I model before doing a shared activity. Right now, I have been thinking aloud at least twice, before I do a shared activity with them. Then I do a guided within my guided reading groups...but the independent doesn't come for a while. Our school is really focussing on literacy right now, and I want to make sure that I am on track...you know...how you panic...and think..."gee...am I doing this right?". I think I am...but I am going to check out your blog to see if your method is similar to mine.

Thanks again for your help!
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
D123

D123

Grm
Old 02-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you are looking for great courses involving GRM...check out embeddedlearning.com
Great on-line courses through Wilkes