First Grade

Favorite 1st Grade Math Game!

>

ACRteach

Favorite 1st Grade Math Game!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!
I'm getting bored of our Everyday Math games in first grade, and so are the kids. I thought I'd reach out and see if I could collect some new favorites!

Here one of ours:
We call it "Roll and Bundle." Kids roll 2 dice, add them, and take that many popsicle sticks to place on their place value mat. Once they make a 10, they bundle with a rubber band and move to tens place. They keep rolling and bundling until their popsicle sticks run out.

ACRteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyNot

Great idea
Old 02-27-2015, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't think of one to share right now but yours sounds really fun and great for teaching regrouping.Thanks!
WhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Bump
Old 02-27-2015, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My class loves Bump. I have created and/or found versions for all of the math strands that we are doing. If you don't know what bump is here is what I know.
There is a game board with a variety of spaces on it -- our first version was for addition to 12 so it had one space for each number between 2 and 12 (the sums available using 2 dice). Students each have 10 game pieces (I use unit cubes) of one colour (e.g., 10 red and 10 blue).
Child 1 then rolls the dice (or pick a card) and places one of their markers on the answer. Their turn is over. Then Child 2 rolls the dice and places one of their markers on the answer. If the answer is currently covered by the other child's marker then it can be bumped off, but if there are 2 of the same coloured markers on the same number that space is frozen and child 2 can't bump them off. When one child has used all of their 10 markers, the game is over.
I just created a version for time to the hour and time to the half hour. They pick cards with the analogue time and cover the matching digital time.
There are many freebies for bump available on TpT too.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

Mine really like the
Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

strategy game 'POISON'. It is for two players and 10 poker chips. The students sit across form each other and place the 10 poker chips between them. They may take 1, 2 or 3 chips, taking turns taking chips, the one to take the last chip loses. They also really like 'Card Bingo' and 'Domino Top It'.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

Old 03-21-2015, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We took one of our EDM games (Rolling to 100) and made it HUGE. I made a 100 chart on butcher papee , laminated it and got huge fuzzy dice. Same game, different format. They love it now.

ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love these games!

My quick, "we're ready a little too early" game for that age is:

Guess the Number
I pick a number between 1 and __. The first child makes a guess, and I say "higher" or "lower." Then next child guesses, and so on, until someone gets it. If we have time for another round, I let the child who won pick the next number, whisper it to me, and we play again. It's like the Monster Squeeze game they already know, just an oral version.

My favorite game for that age, if we have a bit more time to fill is:

Find Your Buddy
Each child draws a number from 1 to 9 out of a bag/hat/cup and keeps it secret. When I say "Go," they move about the room and the find a person who has the number they need to make 10. Then they come to me and share their number sentence. I like it because it accomplishes both math and a movement "break," it's quick to make a set of cards, and they talk briefly with kids they might not otherwise partner up with.

Last edited by Lakeside; 03-21-2015 at 10:42 AM..
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Domino Number Neighborhoods
Old 03-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My kids love to use dominoes to make number families. They use the domino for a chimney, then draw a triangle for the roof and write the 3 related numbers. They write the 2 addition and 2 subtraction sentences in the box they draw for the house. The reason they love this so much is because they get to draw on their table with wipe-off markers.

They also like domino Top-It, and "War" (although some teachers prefer to rename this. A colleague called it "Beat Me." I said, "Oh, yeah, that's so much better!" )

Roll to 100 is good- they move a game piece along a number grid. Then they move back.

Race to 100 with place value boards. They roll a die, add to their board, build tens and ones. Then they can race to zero.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

vballmom

Fact game
Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My class likes to play a version of 7-up game. Before they can guess who pushed their thumb down, they answer a math fact question. We also play it with spelling words.
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote