Help

First Grade

No Text Book

>

vballmom

No Text Book
Old 12-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year we have no math text book. We are to come up with resources to use. It has been so time consuming pulling materials from many different sources. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? I sometimes feel like we are sinking! Grades 3-5 have a text they can fall back on - previous adoption. Grades K-2 are flying by the seat of our pants as we had consumables the past few years. Thanks for any ideas you can share!

vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use stuff from Mathdrills.com. There are also a number of good pay for websites out there like Superteacher.com. (Sorry all my stuff is bookmarked at work so I'm trying to remember off the top of my head)

Are there any older teachers in your school who may have files from previous years? I wish our school hadn't wasted money on the stupid math program we have. Last year, I used almost none of it and had all of my own materials. It is definitely frustrating to be provided with nothing though.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

A lot of publishers have workbooks
Old 12-07-2016, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

available online. Google "Grade one mathbooks pdf."

The good news is that many, many choices will show up...Some are only samples, some are ads to purchase them and some are clickbait so be choosy.

The bad news is that most will not include the teacher's editions for the lesson plans and answer keys.

The good news is that it will provide a scope and sequence of sorts and worksheet pages to go with it. You may have to tweak it a little to fit your needs. I've downloaded several so I can mix and match as needed. I teach SpEd so some of my kids need several lessons on the same concept for it to stick...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa1

Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Look at http://www.maths300.com/ and https://nzmaths.co.nz/ for ideas. Use this for ideas about targeted teaching: http://grattan.edu.au/wp-content/upl...d-Teaching.pdf

We don't have a scope and sequence (i.e. specific maths program) but rather use the curriculum (state mandated) as a starting point, and then use Di Siemon's 'Five Practices' model and 'Mathematics Misconceptions' as starting points.

Hope this helps!
Tessa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Luvnone

Luvnone

Math
Old 12-08-2016, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out Engage NY web site. That is the curriculum we have used the past two year. You can download it for free. It is very rigorous.

broomrider

Explore the
Old 12-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Illuminations web site from the National Counsel of Teachers of Mathematics. They have activities for preK-12 for many different math areas.
http://illuminations.nctm.org

They also have many publications supporting elementary math teachers.

You might also search for Marilyn Burns and Kathy Richardson (separate searches). Each has many activities and great publications.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

My previous district was like that.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It was freeing in some ways but I hated the time it took to put it all together. We had a pacing guide for the standards so we couldn't use an online curriculum. My advice is plan together! That's the only way we made it through. Everyone brought ideas to the meetings and we made it work.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote