Search Consultant? (not for teaching.. general info) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Search Consultant? (not for teaching.. general info)

>

SpeedLimit62

Search Consultant? (not for teaching.. general info)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 PM

One of my bestfriends has a masters degree in music. She was telling me this afternoon that she's tried to build a 'studio' for the past 5 1/2 years.. and she only has about 10 hours of work per week. I feel bad because she has worked just as hard as I have in school and over time .. at her degrees and everything.

I think it's really making her feel worthless and that makes me sad. She doesn't have health insurance and wants to see what else is out there for her to do. I told her to look into the regular things like waitressing, desk jobs, stores things like that but I'm sure there has got to be other jobs as well.

Does anyone know if there is such thing as a job search consultant? Is there someone she can work with that may give her support and help her with her resume? Does this even exist?

For us teachers it's easy because we know what we need to do .. apply to schools! It gets tricky when your degree isn't providing job opportunities like you had hoped.

My husband plays an instrument. I know it's hard work. I took piano lessons and never got anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I can pass along. She's been on my mind since we spoke this afternoon.

Thank You!

SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 PM

Has she ever taught in the schools? I have a music degree and had a music education business in which I went into schools at no cost to them, and charged families a fee for my band and piano lessons. I had no overhead because I taught at the schools, and I offered an educational extra curricular activity.

I had 7 schools and 80 students at my high point. I could have almost doubled that if I had been willing to hire an employee. Maybe she can do something like that.

Otherwise, I think what you are thinking of is a career counselor.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Ideas
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 PM

A career consultant would be perfect for her. There are also people who can consult with a person about their business.

I don't know what her musical interests are but here are a few ideas.

If she has any interest in working with young children, she could consider teaching a KinderMusic class or something similar.

Perhaps she could develop a simple music program (or even better, a weekly class activity) that she could do in area preschools.

The local libraries or park districts might be a venue.

If she can conduct or play piano/organ, she might be able to get a church job.

In my area, the local high schools make arrangements for students to take lessons at school with outside music teachers. Maybe she could get to know some of the high school teachers by subbing (can't be easy to find a good sub for high school music classes) or even some volunteer work.

There are also life coaches. (Google it) A skillful one might be able to help her to figure out why her studio isn't growing and whether that's what she really wants to do.

Good luck to her. It's got to be discouraging.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote