Need help with job advice: stay or bail? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Need help with job advice: stay or bail?

>

hovenweep

Need help with job advice: stay or bail?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
I am a licensed ECE and K-6 teacher who has been home with my young children and recently accepted a job where my daughter could attend with me.

I have recently discovered that our school is entirely unlicensed and has been shut down once for this reason. The director continues to operate the school in secret. I was led to believe that the school was open again through a series of loopholes making it a legal operation...the reason this came to light is we have a situation with a student that SHOULD result in a call to CPS, and the director is not willing to call because the school isn’t supposed to exist. This puts my coworkers and I in the position to need to do the reporting.

Other issues: director is almost entirely absent from the school. She is there less than 20 minutes a week. I have no emergency info for the children, despite requesting it several times—she said her desk is too messy to locate it.

I have two weeks left in the school year. Do I stick with it, or bail?

hovenweep is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess it depends on how much you like your license. You'll probably lose your license if you're found to be working there. Also, you're a mandated reported so if it's found that you didn't call DCFS when you should have they'll take your license for that too. I don't want to sound flip but I'm appalled. And I can't believe that this is even a question.

Hotline DCFS and get out of there.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

hovenweep

Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! I just resigned and already called CPS.

WGReading

Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So, you are working at an unlicensed, illegally operating school? And are aware of abuse of a child in some form but are being asked by the school not to report that? And there are not safety and emergency protocols in place to protect the children while they are in your care?

Leave immediately.
Call CPS.

I personally would also try to find a way to notify the families that are sending their children to the school. Whether that be individual contacts, notifying a state agency, posting on FB or the local news. The safety of children is at risk, and it sounds like in one case, extremely so.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad to see you resigned!

What a hot mess!

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good call!
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

hovenweep

Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Want to know how the director responded to my resignation? She asked me to work on Friday this week.

Anyway, I am feeling free and my conscience is clear. Thanks, everyone, for the validation. I was feeling a bit confused about the situation because this lady has the ability to convince you hints are in the up and up.

TAOEP

Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

She asked you to work Friday? Clearly the woman is deluded. I would strongly encourage you to report the various violations (such as the lack of emergency info and operating without a license).Not sure who you would call--probably the state licensing agency. I'm sure that you don't want your daughter in such a "school"--nor do you want other people's precious children there. The likelihood of harm is great, as evidenced by the avoidance of making a CPS report.

By the way, at least in my state, every mandated reporter (which would include you as a teacher) is required to report any cases of suspected abuse or neglect. That responsibility is not considered to have been fulfilled simply by informing an administrator. The mandated reporter must call.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote