Violent student

>

am i crazy?

am i crazy?

Violent student
Old 05-27-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've signed out for this one...

I have a student that has run away three times this year, twice from school and once on a filed trip. Police were called twice and student was taken to hospital for an eval once. Student has been physically aggressive toward students twice and me 3 times. The latest incident includes me being punched in the face for which a 5 day out of school and one day in school suspension was given. Currently 2 days have been serves. Last night student called and left a voice mail on my school phone and then another message this morning. The call last night was about how student would see me in court. This morning there was a mention about how they would become rich when I had to pay them a million bucks, how they knew this was my school number but they were going to find my home e-mail and stalk me on Facebook and other social media as well as telling me they hoped I rotted in h---. Is this something I should show my principal?

No clear threats have been made but I'm not very comfortable with this student returning for the last 5 days of school I know they have it out for me and I don't want any more of this. I have already decided if this student physically attacks me again that I will file a police report.

What are your thoughts? Should I give this info to the principal or just ride it out the remainder of the year?

SassyTeach

Without question!
Old 05-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd tell him as well as the police, because the threat is real. I'd also demand that he be placed in another room. He should NOT be put back into your room, especially after the threats!!

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-27-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree! Both police and principal need this information ASAP!

Ridiculous! Follow through, please! Otherwise, this ill-mannered child will think he/she can get away with it.

Keep us updated! Scary!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Also, depending on how the P handles it is consider filing a police report.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 05-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh my goodness, we live in a crazy world. You say no real threats were made and based on what you wrote I'm not really sure. Looks like others think threats were made.

mes is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not sure how old this student is nor whether he has been diagnosed and/or treated with mental health issues, but he has punched you in the face. He's angry and is making threats.

Absolutely tell your principal. Be sure that the voice mails are saved. Set your social media settings to the highest possible privacy.

Unless you feel absolutely safe after talking with your principal FIRST thing tomorrow (or even tonight), I would seriously consider filing a police report. School will be out for the summer and that will probably result in a de-escalation, but what will happen if the student sees you out in the community or figures out where you live? He seems quite volatile and not to be trusted.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you belong to a union, call them. This child should not be back in your classroom.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This student should in no way be back in your classroom. Put your foot down with your principal. You have a right to feel safe.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Violent student
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

DO NOT let this slide. Tell P ASAP and say you will be filing a police report. Follow through. This child needs help and you need protection.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Yes!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Call the principal and file a police report. Those are threats, and, based on this studentís history, they need to be taken seriously!

geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Opinion...
Old 05-28-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would be filing a police report before even talking with your principal.

I am surprised you have not filed police reports before this, and I am even more surprised the school district has not filed police reports before this.

Save those voice messages. The police will need them.

I am thinking of you...
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I completely agree with ConnieWI. A police report needs to be filed.

There are huge problems in so many schools because students are allowed to get away with violence.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Violent student
Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I will echo what pp have said and call the police now and your principal next.

Do you have security at your school? You or the student need to be walked to and from transportation by security.

I don't know how old the student is, but I am guessing at least upper elementary if they looked up and called your school number.

I know this sounds cruddy, but I have known administration to split hairs over whether the student can carry out the threat.

If he said ANYTHING specific (your personal number, car color, license plate number, any social media aliases you go by, where your spouse or kids work, etc.), you need to document this and have it with you when you and your union rep meet with police and administration.

Do you have evidence the parent can't handle the kid? Police have picked him up wandering street, there have been witnesses to him being physical or abusive to parents at school, parent making excuses for kid? I would document that too.

I will be thinking about you. Stay safe.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote
am I crazy?

am I crazy?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Well, the p didn't even listen to the messages nor want to know what was in them I was told to call the mom and tell her the basic content so she can share with his Dr if she so chooses. At this point student will be returning Thursday and I am not happy. I attempted to call the mom but she didn't answer, she never does after an incident. I did e-mail her the voicemail though so I'm hoping she'll be upset with me and not send student back this year.

Fingers crossed and praying!

kidsrme11

Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What did you do? I hope you told your P and called police. You seem like a sweet person who just wants a stressful situation to end, but I feel that you can't ignore this. I'll be worrying about you. Please tell us that you're ok when you can.
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Contact the police...
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Do NOT wait for another incident. You have clearly been assaulted and it seems to me threatened... whether or not it rises to criminal threatening I can't say. Act as a private citizen and protect yourself if the school/principal will not. The police may suggest a restraining order... if so, get it.

Given the student's threats and the lack of response from parents, this may well not end when the school year is over.

While this student clearly needs help, that need should not outweigh your safety. If the school/principal are not going to be considerate of that, you must.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

Get the DAD on the line
Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thinking of you....

Where's the father?????!!!!!!
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

Later
Old 08-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I know it has been two months since you last posted but I was wondering how the situation ended? I hope you did follow through with filing police report.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have a new principal and I had already told him that my door would be locked and explained my reason. However, I found out today the student will not be returning to our school for the new school year. I am relieved. I think his mom was really ticked that I filed reports. Thanks for asking!
mes is offline   Reply With Quote