Help

Retired Teachers

How do I let admin know I am retiring?

>

LuvsPixieDust

How do I let admin know I am retiring?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This sounds silly, but I am dreading telling my admin and dreading going to the Central Office to start the paperwork. I have to complete it all by Jan. 21 according to our recent employee newsletter.

I feel like a quitter. In a nutshell I am tired. I really, really like my admin and my co-workers. I am afraid I will cry when I tell them.

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Retiring
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I ended up telling my administrator in January even though I had planned to do so later. Just had to do with projected numbers of students the next year and they were talking to one of my sweet teammates and telling her she would be moved to a different grade level or school. I could not allow her to be upset about this when I knew I was retiring and her position would be safe.

I told my teammates at a team meeting first.

Then the same week I told my assistant principal at the end of a meeting about something else.

Then I told my principal. These were just a verbal notifications.

Then the next day I handed my principal a letter telling her of my intention of retiring at the end of the school year.

Then I went downtown to fill out all the paperwork with the school district and I had a letter for them as well stating that I was retiring.

You can do this. So what if you cry. It happens. You won't be the first or last teacher to do so. Just means you love your job.

Good luck to you.I am sorry you are tired but that happens as we get older. Teaching requires a very demanding schedule. It sounds like it is time to take care of yourself. That does not make you a quitter.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! It will surprise a lot of people that I am. And I know many others want my job because it is an untested subject.

1956BD

Lucky You
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I considered going back to school to become a librarian so I would not have to teach the test subjects. Decided against it for several reasons. You are lucky to have such a wonderful position.

I hope your enjoy retirement as much as I do or more. I thought I would really miss teaching but not so much. I do miss my teammates a great deal. But I don't miss the meetings, professional development that was usually not so great, the early hours, long hours, stress, testing, unsupportive parents, misbehaving and rude students..........

I am so much more relaxed and rested now that I am retired. I get plenty of sleep and am no longer tired from August to June. I also stay well a great deal more being away from all the germs generated in a classroom. In short life is good.

It is an adjustment. I developed new interests and hobbies to keep me busy. Hopefully you too will find joy in your retirement.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I told my administrator in November. I wrote a letter and planned to read it so that I would not cry. I went unannounced to the office two separate times and both times she was not in the office. The third time I went in I forgot my lil speech. So I just started talking and ended up crying happy tears.
My team knew since the beginning of the school year. I filled out paperwork a couple of months later. It was actually a relief to share the news with others. I loved working with my team, students, and admin.

I agree with 1956BD, itís okay if you cry. Life is too short.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks, LaFish!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That sounds like what will happen to me. I think I have another office job waiting for me to cover the gap in pay. I am 49, but I have 28 years. We only need 25 in MS for full benefits.

I am at stage 4 kidney disease. I don't want to try to teach after I start feeling terrible. Dialysis won't agree with teaching either in my opinion.

Marcimcg

Telling intent to retire
Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I told my administrator a year before my end date to help with planning for staffing. Our enrollment had been going down and it looked like they might have to let a teacher go. So the school board and parents knew.

However, after a while, administration wanted me to spend my last year doing RTI and not have my own class. I refused and regretted telling them so far in advance. Administration did not pursue this so I had my classroom for the final year. But they could have forced the issue

So my advice is to wait as long as you can!
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote
likestravel

likestravel

keep it simple
Old 01-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

1. Schedule a quick minute or two to tell your principal in his/her office, keeping it simple and to the point.
2. Turn in a letter to your principal (they need it in writing). You could also give it to her when to meet to tell her. Keep the letter simple, no long/wordy letter is needed.
3. Get the paperwork from central office. They are used to handing it out.
4. Tell your team. Keep it simple. (Believe me, you don't need to tell anyone else, your planned retirement will spread through the grapevine-teachers and parents alike.)
5. Tell your students the last week, or day of school.

I told my principal in March, but since your paperwork is due by Jan. 21, you'll have to do that earlier.

Don't worry about crying. So many of us have done that, no matter what the circumstances were upon retirement. Retiring can bring on so many emotions. We were all blessed with a wonderful career with children, and it can be hard to leave the joy we've found working with children.

There are so many others ready/needing teaching jobs, wish them well in your thoughts and enjoy your retirement.

NJ Teacher

I told her after school one day...
Old 01-08-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I announced my retirement early in the school year when I did it. After I put my official letter in to Central Office, I told my principal very quietly in the hall one day after school when no one else was around. It really was no secret as my closest friends on the staff and grade level partners all knew i was going to retire.

My principal asked if she could announce it to the staff at our December faculty meeting. I was not close to her and I had told her in October, but another colleague she loved had announced her retirement, so I said, "Sure."

It is definitely normal and okay to be emotional. it is a big step for you. You are not a quitter, you are beginning a new and exciting chapter. Just make sure it's what you truly want. You are right, teaching these days is definitely exhausting, for teachers of all ages.

Good luck to you. I truly love being retired.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You know, you're probably overthinking the whole thing. You've earned this retirement....so don't feel too sad about taking it! I told my admin. the day I learned she was not renewing a very deserving new teacher's contract. I didn't want her to be let go and so I just marched in and told my principal, " I'm retiring why don't you tell Miss X she has a job next year." And that's just what she did. I was happy to give somebody else a job and while I loved parts of my job, I knew it was time to leave.

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

First, Iím sorry youíre unwell.

Second, I donít think thereís a right way to announce your retirement. Do what feels right to you.

In August before my last year, I stopped by the District Office of my small district and told the Superintendent. Then I drove to my school and told my Principal. Finally, at the day-before-school-starts-staff-meeting, I announced my retirement (and I had a small gift for each teacher). I told my students on the first day of school that they were special because they were my last class. I got to enjoy a whole school year of ďlasts,Ē and it was enormous fun.

Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 01-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In the fall, I mentioned to a few teachers that I was thinking about retiring. That sort of eased my way into it. In March, I told my principal and then my coworkers a minute later. I filed for retirement at central office a week later.

I remember one teacher put in her papers at central office after school one day, planning to tell the principal and teachers the next morning. Too late! People who know people who know people passed it through the rumor mill within an hour. And this was in a very large district. Confidentiality be damned!
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thank you, friends!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Your words have comforted me very much. I can't wait to REALLY join this club.

Lanieob

Oh My- sending hugs!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sending hugs to you! My husband is on dialysis. Very best wishes on your retirement- it's time to relax and enjoy!
Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Lanieob
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

IgA Nephropathy is the cause for my kidney disease. It was quite a blow in July 2018 when I got the diagnosis. Since then my function went down, then up and seems to have stabilized at 29%. I hope I stay at this level a long, long time, but I know what is eventually coming. I am at peace with it.

Last year did me in emotionally and physically.

Lanieob

Wishing you well
Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I hope it continues to stay there. It is time to refocus and recharge and enjoy life.
Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote