The VENT

Cool Water Bottle VSCO trend

>

Loveandmercy

Cool Water Bottle VSCO trend
Old 01-26-2020, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI All
My students are very in love with their colorful waterbottles. I hear it is part of VSCO girls trend. Problem is, they sit and chug a lug water constantly and have to use the rest room all the time. Any ideas on how to better manage this? I am all for staying hydrated but I have kids constantly drinking and going to restroom. Also they put them on their desks and they are BIG water bottles that take up lots of room. They are a status symbol and I feel concerned that some kids can't afford this huge tank-like bottles. (Can you tell I am a little bit annoyed!) I feel like it is promoting, for some girls, a "better than" attitude in my classroom. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 01-26-2020, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you have the students keep the water bottles on a designated table and when they are done with an assignment they can get their water bottle?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 01-26-2020, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes! Sounds good! Thank you!

EllyTeaches

Old 01-26-2020, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year water bottles were prohibited at our school after a student brought in alcohol. They're allowed this year, but we haven't a problem with kids drinking a lot. They're more for looks, at least at our school.

I would be worried about theft putting them all at one table. Some of those bottles are expensive. (I'm not saying that it's right to have the bottles, but I think they'd rightly be mad if they got stolen. I think the more expensive hydroflasks are 50 to 100 dollars.)

For bathroom passes, we have a Google form that students sign and use a silent signal to show us they have to go. They are not allowed to go during direct instruction, and we often say "in a few minutes" to make sure they are not coordinating with friends to meet up in the bathroom. We check our spreadsheet to see if some kids are going way too often.

There's a definite VSCO trend with scrunchies and water bottles. In fact, my colleagues and I dressed up as VSCO girls on Halloween to somewhat poke fun at it. We marginally succeeded in making it uncool.
EllyTeaches is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

At Your Own Risk
Old 01-26-2020, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Water bottles are an ďat your own riskĒ item. You donít have to bring it, you donít have to have it, and it is your property, so you are the one responsible for it. Just like a cell phone. It is a choice to bring it to school, not a necessity.

We have a pocket chart for holding cell phones. We have a basket for water bottles. We have never had a real issue with either practice.

I agree. The repetitive sipping is more to do with showing off than actually being thirsty.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Shoe organizer
Old 01-26-2020, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We only allow water bottles when the weather is very hot in September, May and June. I use a hanging shoe organizer. I put their name on a pocket and they place them in their pocket after announcements. I have a water break after every period. It saved my sanity of spilled water, dropping water bottles, and constant drinking. If the bottle gets empty they refill it at the water fountain.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

one-to-one tech
Old 01-26-2020, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our students have iPads, therefore, the rule is no water bottles on the desk. They must be on the floor. The only problem I can see with that is if you don't have carpet, they would make a lot of noise as they kicked or knocked over their precious status symbols.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Water Bottles
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I didn't allow water bottles in my classroom. I did let kids get drinks of water when they needed them, however. I think individual water bottles would be great distractions and would result in too many bathroom visits.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

For this year you've gotten some great suggestions.

Next year, if it was me, I'd invest in a dollar store bottle for every student. A letter would go home that this is the only bottle allowed. If lost they must replace with another $$ store bottle. To make it fun I'd buy plain ones and let kids decorate with sharpies. Keeps the competition of who's got the trendiest bottle.

Yup it might cost me $20-25 but it would be worth it to me.

Or if this is an issue school wide, have the school provide them.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Water bottles have been a huge issue in my class because they have been 1.a distraction 2. They are constantly knocked over, and 3. Like you u have kids drinking 32 ounces of water in 2 hours just because thy want to play with their water bottle and then asking for the bathroom ever 20-30 minutes and 4. Spilling when they knocked down because the lid wasn’t screwed in on.

Now I say all water bottles have to stay on the sink and may not be on desks. You can raise your hand and ask to get a drink when you are working independently but not while I’m teaching. Problems solved.

Quote:
Next year, if it was me, I'd invest in a dollar store bottle for every student.
Make sure if you do this they are BPA free and you can prove it to parents. Many parents, myself included, would fight a rule that makes kids be exposed to endocrine distrusting chemicals found in cheap water bottles. That still wouldn't be good enough for some of my picky parents as they would refuse anything plastic but metal ones would be prohibitively expensive.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

water
Old 01-26-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For my kinders I set up a 'hydration station' with cups and a water jug on a table at the back of my room. This way they get pouring practice. Yes they do spill sometimes But I keep a rag there and they clean it right up. Each has his/her own cup, labelled with their name. I'm not sure if this would work for HS or not, but I did it because kids kept losing their drink bottles and occasionally spilling at their desk. I wanted to to eliminate those problems whilst still allowing access to water at all times.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 01-26-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

thanks for the great ideas, everyone. In my elementary school days, we went to a water fountain at recess, so frankly this bothers me. Call it my pet peeve. The fact that kids have items that are $50-$100 also is a toughie. I think that is a lot of money for something trendy. I do have a hand signal to dismiss the kids and that is a great idea. I like the "hydration station." I will put at back of classroom. I love the no bathroom during direct instruction. I implemented this rule but they still need to go and look at me with such urgency in the middle of a lesson. So I say, "When you are on vacation, and you need to go, and you are on a long car ride, can your parents IMMEDIATELY pull the car over? No, it takes a few minutes.

I teach in ten minute stretches (then Thinnk-Pair-Share or partner work or let's get out white boards) so all kids would just have to wait 10 minues.
THank you everyone!

Haley23

Old 01-26-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This thread reminded me of a time when I was in HS and I was on a health kick . I decided to carry around a water bottle with me all day to get more water in. I found I liked having it and once I started drinking more I really was thirsty for it. The problem was, about 20-30 minutes into each class, I'd be dying to go to the bathroom even though I also went in between every class! If the kids are drinking that much, they probably truly do have to go that often. I had to stop bringing my water bottle. I'm always amazed at the teachers I see carrying around those giant tank water bottles- I have no idea how they do it!

I'm not a classroom teacher but I don't let kids bring the water bottles to my small groups. Frankly they seem like a huge distraction and IMO no kid needs that much water unless there is a legitimate medical reason, and if that's the case then they can get a 504 with that written as an accommodation for them. If admin won't support you in out right banning them I'd do the "hydration station" thing and only have set times a day when students can visit.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have water bottles in my classroom and have had for years. I think you're letting your distaste for trendy water bottles color your attitude toward "hydration in the classroom." Yes, they play with them sometimes or they get knocked over occasionally, but if they didn't have a water bottle to play with, they'd be fiddling with pens or paper or erasers or tissue boxes or whatever. The water bottle doesn't cause the playing.

My students start out responsible for their own water bottles. As they demonstrate lack of responsibility, they get moved to designated spots. Generally, their cubby if they can't be trusted.

My only rules are no water near technology, no bottles on top of the desk, and no going to the bathroom during class. There are transition times every 90 minutes minimum, usually every 60 minutes and sometimes shorter. By upper elementary, I expect them to learn to manage their own bodily functions.

I like having my bottle with me at all times, and I think water fountains are disgusting, so I don't have a problem with letting kids keep their own water bottles (which I realize are probably just as disgusting for the ones who don't take them home regularly, but that's a parenting issue, not a teaching one).

Last edited by Gromit; 01-26-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 01-26-2020, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My district has an official policy that students cannot be denied keeping water bottles at their desks (my guess is a parent must have threatened to sue over a teacher's strict policy). So, while I do encourage kids to put their bottles on a shelf in the back of a room, I can't require it.
Yeah it can be a bit much. But not worth losing my job over lol.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

I'm out of the loop....
Old 01-27-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Had to look up VSCO!!!
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 01-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes, this is why I called it a pet peeve.

Loveandmercy

Old 01-27-2020, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Ha! Love it! Thanks

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-24-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I would have a rule.
1. You fill up your water bottle in the morning. Then, you can't fill it up again until after recess. 2x per day is plenty of water unless they have a medical necessity to drink more.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote