Help

First Grade

Confusing vowel sounds a, e, & i

>

want2teach

Confusing vowel sounds a, e, & i
Old 01-02-2020, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on ways to help a student that continues to confuse the medial vowel sounds a, e, & i when blending or segmenting words. I feel like I have tried so many things and it's just not helping. Looking for some suggestions/activities that others may use to help this student distinguish between the sounds.
Thanks so much!

want2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I introduced and reinforced the way the mouth ,chin and cheeks look when teaching these sounds. Exaggerate the chin drop and puffy cheeks and give the students small little mirrors so they can see the difference. Initially the practice for each medial vowel with words was focused on the same vowel for five days a week,writing and reading with that vowel. Once each vowel was introduced I spent three days in a row practicing with that same vowel for the entire three day cycle.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Focusing on what your mouth does while making the sounds does help a lot of kids. I would also consider what you're doing as far as phonemic awareness. I see a lot of kids who confuse those sounds because they can't hear the difference and they need a lot of PA work.

Like the pp said, I also introduce just one new vowel sound at a time for students who really struggle. Since "a" is the most different, I'd practice that for awhile along with the o and u sounds the student already knows. Make sure you are practicing the sounds in isolation as well as in blending/segmenting. Once the "a" is mastered I'd add in the "i" and only add in "e" once the others are mastered.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught in this order : a,o,i,u,e that order reduces listening confusion between the i and the e
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Blending short vowel sounds
Old 02-02-2020, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had kids practice with just the beginning sound and vowel like “ba, sa, ta” etc.

The old Open court blending held the consonant + vowel together before adding final consonant: b+a: ba+t:bat

Did same with other short vowels

Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote