Absent/Truancy Policies Have No Teeth... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Absent/Truancy Policies Have No Teeth...

>

Hawkeyegirl1

Absent/Truancy Policies Have No Teeth...
Old 02-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was reading the previous thread about entitled to be absent. Oh my gosh. I could have written that post.

At a meeting yesterday we were just talking about chronic absences, kids needing help, and how we can help them. I am so tired of caring more about the kids than their parents do. I am starting to feel very discouraged about this.

Oh, the attendance and truancy policies? They mean nothing and the parents know it. I once had a student who missed so much school that a meeting was called with my principal, myself, the mom, and district higher ups. All my documentation was checked and everything was in order. The parent was going to court and all she could say was, "Fine. Take me to court."

The case went to court. The outcome was Mom was given money to drive her student to school because they lived so far away (our of our boundaries) and were deemed "homeless". This parent knows her way around the system...I might add. So, yep, she got more money, and nope no consequences. They didn't even make her go to her home school (even though it was right where they lived). Don't ask me why...I don't know.

Oh, and now the last student of that family goes to my school and still misses a ton of days.

I'm so done talking to parents about attendance. Like I said, I feel like I care more about their kids than they do.

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a kid that was absent or significantly tardy (1-2+hours) more than 100 days. She moved him to a special program school and then they couldnít get up for the bus. So, he came back to us only to miss more school. And,
I couldnít retain him so he moved on having missed most of 3rd grade.

The whole thing was a joke. Honestly, I do t waste my time trying to catch these kids up.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 02-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my previous school, the day I started in 2007, we had a learning support meeting about attendance for one child, who was coming to school maybe 50% of the time. When I left, at the end of 2017 (ie 11 years later) we were having meetings about her younger brother, who was coming to school maybe 50% of the time. In between were three more children, who all had the same attendance pattern. The school did everything they were required to do in reporting to the Department, but nothing ever happened to change it. Five children suffered that educational neglect, with huge impact to their futures, and we couldn't get anything done.

In my current school we have two families (three children) with the same level of attendance, and the same thing happens. Letters are sent, meetings are held, thing get better for maybe a week or two, then it's back to the same old, same old. Every one of these kids could be a good solid grade average if they only came to school, but the laws on attendance just haveno teeth.

It's just so frustrating, and you're right, it feels like we care more than the parents do. Roll in that almost all of the children I'm thinking of are aboriginal and there's a whole other layer - the minute you say "Snowflake isn't coming to school" the racist card is played and everybody official backs off.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 02-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In this state, we theoretically have truancy laws that allow parents to excuse students in writing for up to 10 days as school board policy allows. They can have 5 unexcused absences per quarter before they are considered "habitually truant." At that point, the school is supposed to notify juvenile court that the student is habitually truant. Still there are steps to go through, though: a meeting with the parent, evaluation to determine whether there are learning or social problems causing the truancy. In theory, parents can be fined $500 for not sending their child to school but in reality what they usually do is fabricate a chronic medical problem. Some schools have a policy of requesting a doctors' statement after a certain number of days, although there's no law to support that. Usually when schools start pressing for a doctor's statement, they either pull their child out of school and "home school" them or move to a different district.

The extent to which these laws are actually followed by schools, though, depends a lot on who the student is.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-04-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am dealing with a nightmare involving the truancy court system right now. Some judge has apparently decided the solution is to get an IEP and court ordered the parent to request one. The child has literally missed more than 70 school days every year, and is tardy (often several hours) almost every day he does attend. We calculated TWO days this entire school year where he was there the entire school day.

We have been going back and forth for weeks trying to explain that we can't say a kid who doesn't come to school has a learning disability. "Court people" (lawyer, GAL, etc.) keep coming back with, "But isn't the child behind? Has he closed the gap?" Of course he's behind! That's what happens when you miss more than half the year!

But wait, that's not all. Since then I've received two more requests that are basically the exact same scenario. Yes, I have nothing better to do than have nonsense meetings, respond to a million emails, and potentially complete hours of testing and paperwork for children who just need to come to school. Clearly someone in this court system needs some major education about how these things work.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote