Help

The VENT

absent again

>

Kinderkr4zy

absent again
Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just posted a few days ago about a student who has had several absences since the winter break- 3 days for a vacay here, an extra day added to the weekend for another trip there, then an early release for a funeral on Friday, then she was absent on Monday, and now, after only being at school 2 days this week I get another email that she wont be back again until Monday.

I was at work until 6:30 tonight because I was filling out RTI paper work for this student. She started 3rd grade at a 1st grade level in math. I also met with the P to talk about how concerned I am with this students inability to grasp simple math concepts (we had to work for 5 minutes for her to understand that half way between 50 and 60 is 55-and we had a number line in front of her) and how that shows a lack of basic skills that will prevent her from any chance at success moving forward in math. We also talked about how she is falling farther and farther behind as the year moves on more and more content is cover and we are still working on her getting to 70% proficiency for the first skill we work on back in August. Now with all these absences I know she just missed any chance that she will be tested for services. I mean if the graphing unit is only 9 lessons long and she will have missed 4 of them...thats a clear cut reason for her to not pass-she only got 42% of the instruction will be missed. Our area unit 16 lessons-she missed 4 of them thats 25% of the instruction-of course she was going to fail (and she did)

I am irritated. and I an heart broken for a kid whose parents are failing HER.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-06-2020, 02:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is so frustrating! I have a student who is on an IEP for both reading and math. Her attendance has been poor since kindergarten. She has missed over a 110 days total in 5 years! That is basically 5.5 months of school total. Imagine the progress she could have made if she was here for most of that.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Absences
Old 02-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I could've written your post last year, and maybe 20 other times besides that over the last 15 years.

I learned, after a lot of stress, heartache, and making a few enemies in the "truancy department" in our district, the best I can do is document, report, refer, and be the best teacher I can when the child's behind is actually in the seat. No, I can't (and won't) be a personal tutor to try and fill the gaps for excessive absences. I struggle to pull up my students who are lower readers with PERFECT attendance, let alone those who average 3-4 absences per week.

The most common, and most frustrating scenario we see are parents who get tired of us haranguing them about attendance, so they withdraw their student to homeschool and in many cases are very glib and defamatory on social media about the school that failed their child. It never fails, September rolls around and the student will magically appear on someone's roster (weeks after our start date) and the cycle starts again.

I'm sorry your student is in such a terrible predicament.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hasn’t a truancy officer been called to investigate? Parents can be taken to court when their child has excessive absences and is falling behind.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Yes, Zipline, but...
Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I,too, posted about this a couple of days ago after I read this teacher's original post.

In that post, I explained that even after I documented, referred, complained, everything we got a meeting with district higher ups. It DID go to truancy court and NOTHING changed.

I'm so discouraged with this. Absences and tardies mean nothing.

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

frustrating
Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I could have written your post a few years ago.
I had a ELL boy who was always in school but never on time. He would show up 15 to 90 minutes late 4 mornings out of 5. The ELL teacher wouldn't change his morning pullout time to later so he missed that targeted instruction. No one showed for conferences, answered notes, and on and on. In a meeting I threw a hissy fit with the AP because I felt that a letter sent via mail wasn't enough. They did put some pressure on the ONE person who made home visits for our large district. Nothing changed.
The system is damaged. Even though "school" has became synonymous with social agency, it can't take over the role of parent.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

This is so frustrating :)
Old 02-06-2020, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a student who has missed 45 days of school. I suspect he has delays, but there is NOTHING I can do for a child who never comes to school.

Why are you filling out RtI paperwork? In my area, we can't recommend anyone for testing who has poor attendance, because who's to know if it's a true SPED issue or simply a lack of schooling? And we can't provide interventions for a child who is never at school. So sad.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-06-2020, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The lack of fallow through on truancy issues is a problem here like Hawkeyegirl said.

I don't actually think we have a truant officer.

In my state we have a school attendance review board which you cant even get to until the school has met with the family several times to try to "help them" and identify what is "root cause" of the child missing school. NO ONE GETS IN TROUBLE-its all very wishy washy but we are required to show that we tried to help families "over come obstacles to school attendance". Even with this we have to practically beg them to let your chronic truant move forward in the process because there are more kids that need to go before the board than there are opening to. I had a student 2 years ago who had missed 50% of the school year for 3 years before he sent to SARB. Then we can go to the SARB which includes an officer and a district attorney but they basically meet, let parents make excuses, and say-this is what we can do to help you and here is what expectations we will hold you to. Only most of the time there still isnt follow through. Its a crying shame.

My student that I have been posting about hasn't missed that much-she will probably only miss 15-20% of the year so she wont even get as far as SARB. She will just fall farther and farther behind. 80% attendance when you are already more than a year behind is not sufficient for a student to make adequate progress. I am not a one on one tutor so interventions and reteaching groups move on in her absence. Then she comes back and is lost in class and even in small group among other low kids. This sucks.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

when S falls behind, they want assessment-
Old 02-07-2020, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've noticed an upswing in parents wanting assessment, thinking an IEP will solve the issue of their children being behind.

Well, they never consider that ATTENDANCE has a huge effect on learning!
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote