Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What did/would you do?

>

md2dkh3

What did/would you do?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:59 AM

I'm retiring at the end of May. I remember last year our librarian retired and gave each staff member a small gift. I don't plan to do that but, is it customary or usual for the retiree to give gifts to some close staff members/friends upon retirement? Thanks in advance for your input/suggestions.

md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 02-16-2020, 12:08 PM

I have never heard of that. Only one close friend retired while we worked together and one teammate that I wasn't particularly close to. I mean they both let me have stuff out of their rooms.... but I don't think that's what you meant.
bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Retiring question
Old 02-16-2020, 12:13 PM

I wasn't aware of that happening at any schools where I worked, and I didn't do it myself. I don't think you need to buy anyone gifts unless you were particularly close and want to say thank you for help in the past. But not just because you are retiring.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 02-16-2020, 12:16 PM

I have seen staff members who are retiring bring in a snack for everyone to share (like munchkins and a box o Joe from DD). I have not seen gifts passed out. My mom, a retired teacher, did not get anyone anything. She still keeps in touch with the parent liason at her old school and buys uniforms for kids whose families can't afford them.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not at my school...
Old 02-16-2020, 12:20 PM

As I retiree, I was given gifts by the staff, my district, and individual students and teachers I was close to. I did personally not give any to the remaining staff like your librarian did, but I did send out a staff email thanking everyone for making my time at the school special. I also send out thank you cards for the group and individual gifts I received. We did have a teacher who sent for a bagel breakfast for the staff the first September after she retired.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Not at my school
Old 02-16-2020, 02:08 PM

Everyone that retires receives a gift from the faculty/staff and we have cake/punch in the gym in the last day of school. There is a dinner at a local restaurant for all retirees and their family to enjoy.

There was one teacher many years ago that retired mid year. She was moving away to help out a family member that was very ill. She decided to hold a raffle in which everyone’s name was in a huge glass bowl. (Yes, she included cafeteria workers, janitors, and paras.) If your name was pulled, you won a small gift. Some gifts ranged from a $5 gift card to Wendy’s to lovely guest towels! I think she had about 10 small gifts. She was moving away and would not be around for the end of the year dinner. She also had a moving sale for her classroom items and household goods. She donated all the proceeds to the SPCA.
I had not thought about her in years. She was so thoughtful.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Gifts
Old 02-16-2020, 03:55 PM

I didn't give anyone a present when I retired four years ago. I was the one retiring, not them, so it didn't even occur to me to give them anything.

The staff gave me a travel bag full of small presents, and that was nice.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-17-2020 at 05:32 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Retirement
Old 02-16-2020, 04:21 PM

When I retired at the end of June last year, I did not want a big hoopla. One colleague (friend) knew I did not want a big deal, so she arranged a very private dinner with 9 people that I had taught with over the years. Yes, she asked me who to invite. I had swag bags made for them by my 1 dil who makes homemade soy candles, bath stuff, soaps, lip balms, among other things. They were a big hit. I just knew they would bring gifts and pay for my dinner, so I wanted to give something back to them to let them know how much I appreciated our years together and loved them. What a great time we had. I only invited 3 from my then current staff, of 9, as they were true friends and we still are. It is what I wanted to do, so I did. No one else at the school got a gift.

Well the custodians did because they could not do enough for me. I truly loved those two men.

Last edited by Crazy3; 02-16-2020 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: More info
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

I drop off goodies
Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 PM

I was always one who brought in homemade goodies rather than store bought. I always signed up to help out and often planned the little celebrations. I occasionally drop off goodies these days using my recognizable platters. I had few signature favorites that always disappeared so I repeat those.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM

I did give gift cards to my teacher’s aide, the janitors, and the school secretary. I do not know if that is a common thing, but I was grateful for the things they did for me.

Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 PM

I brought Munchkins from DD and left them in the lounge with a note thanking everyone for being such awesome coworkers! Four of us retired that year. One did the same with candy kisses but I haven't ever known anyone who actually gave out gifts.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-16-2020, 06:55 PM

I have never seen that happen. I have seen retirees give away "teacher stuff" from their classrooms that they will no longer be needing.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 02-17-2020, 05:41 AM

Someone at my school just retired and she didn’t give anyone a gift. I wouldn’t have expected that.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 02-17-2020, 04:27 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate them all. I'm glad to hear that gifts are not the norm. I may give gifts to a few people who are friends as well as coworkers if there is a party or dinner for me. Usually at my campus, there is a luncheon for all staff on the very last teacher prep day and all teachers leaving/retiring are recognized at the conclusion of that luncheon.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote