Special Education

High School Math Resource Teacher

>

musicmeg222

High School Math Resource Teacher
Old 02-21-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am currently a self contained teacher for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who have intellectual disabilities. As a self contained teacher, I teach social studies, science, math, and ELA to my students. I have decided that I would like a new setting for next year and was just offered a position for math resource/inclusion position at a local high school. I was informed that the position will be a mixture of Geometry and Algebra II classes. I will co-teach for some classes and pull students for resource for other classes. I am more than excited about this position, but am somewhat worried about being able to remember everything from Geometry and Algebra II. The department chair of special education informed me that there will be plenty of resources and support, but I want to be as prepared as possible. I want to make sure I feel as confident as I can with the material - especially since I will be co-teaching. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the teacher I will be co-teaching with, but I still want to be prepared.

I find it impressive and somewhat surprising that teachers, such as myself (without an extensive math background), are allowed to teach math courses at the high school level. I have taken and passed these courses, but it has been so long. It has been even longer for those who are older than me.

I know I have the rest of this school year and the summer to become prepared, but I have already been thinking about it. I'm excited! Does anyone have suggestions on how to best prepare for teaching Geometry and Algebra II? I took Geometry in high school so I no longer have the textbook. Should I review online materials and information for Geometry and briefly read through my Algebra II textbooks? If not, what would you suggest?

Let me know what you think. I'm open to various suggestions and tips. Thanks!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-21-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations. I hope it goes well. You might ask whether you can have copies of the text books now. There are tons of videos on Khan Academy.

You could take an algebra class at your local community college.

Definitely get a graphing calculator and work extensively with it. Check with the high school math department to find out what kind they recommend their students buy.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-22-2020, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second TAOEP on everything!

Try getting the books ahead if you can, and working your way through over the summer. - If they don't have spares right now, get the edition information and check on Amazon. Sometimes you can find used copies very reasonably.

Familiarizing yourself with the calculator is a great idea as well! A lot of the questions kids will ask you will be more about "how do I use this thing" than actually "help me understand".

And I tend to sub younger grades, but Khan Academy was one of my favorite resources when my own son would ask me for help with homework in high school! Like you, I'd taken all the courses in high school and college - but it was a long time ago, and the details you don't use every day do tend to fade.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

musicmeg222

Old 02-22-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the suggestions and tips so far, guys. I appreciate it!

I didn't even think about refreshing my memory with the graphing calculator. I still have my awesome purple TI-83+ from high school. I even removed the batteries so they wouldn't corrode or leak while not using it. Thanks for reminding me about that!

I just started teaching last year, but have been in the middle school setting, so I'm also not very familiar with the high school state standards, especially math. I'm sure reviewing those would be helpful too.

Any other tips or suggestions?
musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote