Help

Substitute Teachers

NJ Unemployment

>

NJSubteacher

NJ Unemployment
Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did any NJ subs have any luck filing for unemployment benefits? I was thinking about trying, even though I hear the website continues to fail due to overload. However, I do not want to apply too soon in case the school districts actually choose to continue paying subs (even just a little) throughout this crisis. Also, how far back can you apply for retro pay?

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in California, but I don't see districts paying us anything when we aren't working, whatever the cause. I'm not seeing it. We don't get paid during the summer.

Last edited by bodhimom; 03-26-2020 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: California
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

FBMidwest

I am in WI
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't speak about NJ, but in Wisconsin you can't file more than two weeks back. I would recommend filing your initial application as soon as you can. Everything else can be worked out after that. Don't miss out, we have no idea what Congress and each state is going to end up passing. But if you have your initial application in, you won't lose any possible benefit.
Of course, as you have probably read, no one is really sure if subs are actually going to receive any payment. My claim is starting the week of March 15 is still on hold for some type of verification from the district. We are on Spring Break this week, so more questions about if a sub can get benefits during a "regularly scheduled break"

I just know getting the claim started is essential.
FBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've heard of subs being approved, but I haven't heard anybody on here tell us they've actually received cash. I'm glad I applied early. I don't know why people wouldn't.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am waiting to file because the main district I work in finally caved and said they would pay us something. That was Friday and we havenít heard anything since. I donít want to file now and then be in the position of having to pay back money. This whole thing is a sh*t show.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would file anyway, and then report on your bi weekly claim the amount the district has paid you.

None of my three districts in California are paying us anything.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-26-2020, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry they arenít paying out. I hope the bill they passed gives people the added cash they are promising with the unemployment.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

I filed
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the feedback. I went with most of your suggestions and filed for NJ. It was actually a fairly short, easy application for my state. My claim was accepted, but I need to wait and see if they approve it. There was a question on it stating if my place of work is only closed due to COVID-19 and if I am still technically employed? Of course, I answered yes and provided a brief explaination of what I am sure they already know. Normally we would never be eligible for unemployment, but due to COVID 19, there have been several new Federal and various State laws providing exceptions to previous rules. In fact, a new federal law dictates that most employers who had to shut down, must also provide their employees a paid family leave for an extra two weeks pay based on their average hours they work from federal relief funds. It even includes part time and seasonal workers. Therefore, technically the school districts we "Regularly" work for (except for independent contract companies) are "supposed" to give us a little something extra.

I have a strong feeling that IF they dont, there will be a place on our 2020 taxes to indicate that.

NYC public schools and all of NJ schools are now closed until 4/17 and the situation will be re-assessed at that time.

Subtastic

Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would try to reach the governor on this. I know he does a weekly call-in show. I hope you get something. The numbers don't look good. Looks like school is not resuming until September.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

UPDATE: It looks like I was approved for UI benefits. However confused because the notice in the mail said I can claim my benefits for first time on 4/8, then next sentence says "Beginning Sunday after date listed, you can claim your benefits online or by phone". So which is it?? Can anyone share their thoughts on this? Do I claim benefits on 4/8 or have to wait til the following Sunday?

The notice did not indicate how much I will be getting or for how long, but appears I will be getting something.