Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

social distancing?

>

Renea

social distancing?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:42 AM

My bible study group wants to "meet" this coming Monday for lunch. We'd sit around a fire-pit in our lawn chairs 6' apart. There are only seven of us, if we all attend. My question is: Are we following our state's order of social distancing correctly?

The state order:
Quote:
the order now includes x,y,z,and p counties and effectively shuts down the dining rooms of restaurants and bars and shutters theaters, churches, schools and gyms. It also limits social gatherings such as weddings and funerals to 10 people.

Are we fooling ourselves that we're following the state directive? What are your thoughts?

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I think it depends.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:48 AM

I'm in Maine, and we are now under a "Stay at Home" order, so that means what you're proposing would not be allowed.

If you haven't gotten that order from your governor, you "could" do it, but that's really going against the whole idea of social distancing. The 6' apart thing is for those times you just have to go out in public, like for grocery shopping, medical appointments, and such.

I'd have a google meet chat online rather than chance it.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM

It sounds like you are fine BUT you are still taking unnecessary risk. Personally, I would opt for a Zoom meeting instead.

This virus will never be under control until everyone, everywhere, does the same thing.

We all need to stay at home to starve the virus.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

goodwork

stay at home
Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 AM

This article advises against your meeting.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...pert-says.html
goodwork is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Are we fooling ourselves that we're following the state directive? What are your thoughts?
You might be within your state’s directive, but IMO not CDC guidelines. I do not think your meeting could be considered essential or true social distancing.

Renea, I really like you, so please know this isn’t personal. You asked. I have to say it appalls me how different states are interpreting what we need to do to beat this virus. If it weren’t for all the cars parked on the streets because most people around here are WFH, I’d think I lived in a ghost town. Most of us are giving up so much to do our parts to flatten the curve. I would think your meeting would be easy to postpone.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM

A church choir did this. 60 members showed up, practiced "social distancing". Now 45 of them are sick, and 2 are dead.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...choir-outbreak
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Personally, I wouldn't do it and would go for the Zoom gathering instead.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Not essential. Wouldn't do it!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 04-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Might be allowed, but I would not attend. Use Zoom or similar. It definitely works; I attended one today on Zoom. The last thing you want to do is to possibly expose one of your dear friends to the virus.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Personally, I think it's irrelevant what your particular state's orders are. Too many governors are dragging their feet on this and causing immense harm to their citizens.

People should be staying at home to the fullest extent possible EVERYWHERE whether their governors are more concerned about "the economy" or not.

In addition, the governors who instituted stay at home orders are having to be more and more strict as people violate the spirit of the order and create greater risk. If more people would do what they are supposed to do because it is the right thing to do and not just because they are being told to, we wouldn't have to have such strict regulations and orders.

Social groups are not essential right now. Stay home!

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

My thoughts
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM

A couple of days ago I would have said if you all are 6 feet apart. Now after reading and listening to the CDC, countless stories on TV, hearing about the numbers going up, etc. I would say NO.
Find another way to meet using the technology on hand.

I wonder about how you worded your question, “fooling ourselves”. Maybe you feel like it is unsafe too? I read the state’s orders and maybe you found a “loop hole” but is it a risk you are willing to take?
Take care and be safe.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM

After repeatedly hearing on the new how the virus is spreading, and it's going to get worse..... I don't see how anyone would even consider meeting as a group.

Quote:
There are only seven of us
7 of you, and then there are all the other people each of the 7 have come into contact with days before your proposed meeting.

We should not find excuses for not using common sense or not following doctors' and scientists' advice.

Why are ADULTS not getting this?
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

study group
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't. The virus is present before people know they have it.
About the wedding and funerals limit of 10 people those are life events not casual occasions. How would you feel if one or all of your friends fell ill from being at your house?
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Think about
Old 04-01-2020, 11:41 AM

what we tell our students.

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

A bible study is not essential, and can be carried out virtually. Why not just be safe? I don't understand why these questions keep coming up.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
7 of you, and then there are all the other people each of the 7 have come into contact with days before your proposed meeting.
and then all of the people the 7 of you will come into contact with AFTER your meeting

https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content/...graphic-01.gif

The thing about social distancing is that it isn't personal. It's social. This is for the good of society. It's not about you and your personal risk tolerance.

annie_g

Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I don't think you should regardless if it's technically okay in your state. Why take the chance? You never know who has been exposed. Don't risk it.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Amiga13, thank you.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Amiga13, I understand exactly what you're saying! I'm most likely the only member who feels that we should stay home and get together with Zoom.

My state is extremely conservative and the governor has been slow to adopt any regulations concerning COVID19. My county is one of a few that have been given shutdown orders because we have COVID19 cases popping up every day. Yesterday we read of a local doctor's clinic that had "several" staff members test positive for the virus. Today it was a staff member at a longterm care facility.

My DH declined to golf with his buddies even though they said they’d stay 6’ apart. Nope … can’t do that with a golf cart. The course was shut down later that day.

We don’t go inside anywhere. We pick up prescriptions and over the counter meds at the drive-through of our pharmacy. Our groceries are ordered online and put in the trunk for us. Every perishable is disinfected and the rest is put on “hold” in the garage for five days.

We haven't seen our children or grandson since the last week in February because we don't want to infect each other.

Doctor and dental appointments have been canceled.

It seems as if all our efforts would be wasted if we casually met in the churchyard for lunch.

I’m appreciative that you all gave your honest opinions. It means so much to me. Through all of this pandemic business, I’ve had a difficult time determining if I’m completely crazy or just cautions. Not going to the lunch on the church lawn seems cautious, not crazy. Thanks, everyone.

GreenBunny

Old 04-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Man and I had this same discussion 10 days ago when his Bible study group wanted to meet in the leader's back yard half a block away. After many back and forth discussions (yes, let's call them that ), he finally told the leader that he wouldn't be joining because while it was allowed (then), it wasn't smart. Now they meet over Zoom.

Rick Mercer, a comedian well known to Canadians, had this to say about social gatherings. I like what he says about loopholes. Just because there's a loophole that says that gatherings of 10 or less is okay doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 04-01-2020, 12:17 PM

When in doubt, don't.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

plug the holes!
Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Greenbunny. I loved Rick Mercer's video and completely agree. It will be a good one to pass along.

GraceKrispy

Old 04-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think it's irrelevant what your particular state's orders are. Too many governors are dragging their feet on this and causing immense harm to their citizens.
Totally agree. I'm glad you're not on board with this, Renea. I hope you can convince the others zoom is the way to go.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 04-01-2020, 02:25 PM

Renea, I know it sounds like that could work, but in reality if someone sneezes 6 ft from where you're sitting, the wind could carry those germs right to you. I don't think that's safe. I went walking the other day ad there were about 20 older people and they all brought chairs with them. They were sitting probably 6 ft or so apart from each other.
They're just kidding themselves.
I'm having my book club meeting Friday night by ZOOM. Why don't you suggest giving zoom a try?
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

mom23kids
Old 04-01-2020, 02:41 PM

mom23kids, I agree with you completely.

Gromit

Old 04-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
My state is extremely conservative and the governor has been slow to adopt any regulations concerning COVID19. My county is one of a few that have been given shutdown orders because we have COVID19 cases popping up every day. Yesterday we read of a local doctor's clinic that had "several" staff members test positive for the virus. Today it was a staff member at a longterm care facility.
And the ridiculous thing is that they're all waiting for positive tests before enacting preventative measures! They're shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted!

All the more ridiculous when you realize how little actual testing the US is doing!

Ima Teacher

Old 04-01-2020, 03:31 PM

The 6’ apart means that is how far apart, minimum, you need to be when you MUST be out.

According to out current regulations, you should only be out for work or supplies.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 04-01-2020, 04:00 PM

GreenBunny, I loved the video! I couldn't find the word that describes what the people who are dragging their entire family to go shopping at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, and Menards when our governor, mayor, and health department have recommended only one person in the family do the shopping and limit shopping to once a week.
Single parents with young children would be an exception. Some people are going shopping every day. Clueless or just looking for loopholes?
My next door neighbor stopped me to talk yesterday as I was coming home from my walk. She stayed in her yard and I stayed at least 8 feet away. She suggested that we get together some afternoon and have drinks on one of our decks or patios setting up our chairs 6 feet away from each other. Are you kidding me? No thank you. I wish I would have thought to say, "Nope it's not our job to look for loopholes during a pandemic."
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-01-2020, 04:31 PM

I just wanted to say thanks. I agreed to meet a friend for a walk earlier this week but have been bothered by it for days. She has met someone almost everyday (well, everyday it looks like) for a walk. They take pictures and in the pictures they keep their distiance. However...

Kicker was today she texted to set a time and told me she was helping deliver meals to at risk children before we met. Great cause and I applaude it. But that is a lot of people who may or may not have isolated.

I called it off. I was looking forward to conversation, but...
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

No
Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 PM

I wouldn’t go. Who’s providing the lunch? Are you all handling the food? What happens if people need to use the bathroom? Just too many variables. Stay home and do a Zoom mtg. I know it’s not ideal but better safe than sorry.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Teach 5
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Teach 5, as I started, I'm NOT going. Of course, everyone is bringing their own food, but that's not my point. It seems unwise to even be out if I'm following all of the other protective rules.

I have a feeling by Monday the gathering will be called off.

Isn't' there a Dwight Yoakam song, "I Ain't That Lonely Yet."? Guess that's me.

MKat

Old 04-01-2020, 09:40 PM

As someone stated above, the choir that met on March 6th (back when social distancing was what was being suggested) learned the hard way that it's not enough. A funeral at the end of February had the same result. It's confusing that people don't seem to get it yet. Aren't they watching the news? You are smart not to go.

I would flat out share with them that you think doing the community service of staying home to keep others safe is too important to be going out except for essential business and then let it go.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote