Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Masks? Gloves?

>

amiga13

Masks? Gloves?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 PM

I believe the good stuff needs to go to healthcare workers.
I donít have a mask or gloves and feel like I should have them for my next visit to the grocery store (the only place I go).
Maskócan I just wrap a long scarf around my face? Isnít that as good as the homemade masks?
Glovesóno clue, suggestions welcome.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Yes, that will work for a mask! Not sure what to say about gloves. I don't have any either. I'm going to follow this guy's advice!

I'm in the middle of watching an amazing Dr and his video about this.

https://cornellsun.com/2020/04/01/in...d-19-pandemic/

Lots of practical advice from a Dr!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM

I've seen suggestions of using a bandana as a mask.

Gloves aren't the be all and end all anyway, if you touch surfaces with gloves, then touch your mouth, eyes, nose etc the virus can still be transmitted. Even if you handle your phone while wearing gloves after touching a contaminated surface, then aren't careful to wipe it down. My sister, who is training in a medical field keeps saying this. The best thing to do when you are out is be super careful not to touch your face, then wash hands well when you get home. She says gloves give people a false sense of security.

You can't find gloves or masks in my area for love or money, so it's a moot point for us

But I applaud people who are able to buy, yet refrain, in order to save for essential workers.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 PM

bandana mask video--30 seconds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-Kmeb_16o
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 PM

I don't know who said it, but the question was posed whether they should ask the public to start wearing masks. I thought we had a box of masks in my son's stuff, but I can't find them. I think I might have to make some masks for my husband and I. That would be interesting since I am an amateur with sewing projects.

My husband said he heard someone on the news day a scarf can work well in place of a mask; however, my husband is in favor of using bras to make face masks.

I only have a few vinyl gloves. I use them for cleaning but never got any when they got low. I was focused on my surgery when things got crazy with the virus so I never managed to get gloves before they were gone. I have a few pair of knit winter gloves and wonder if there is any benefit to wear them, then put them directly in the wash when I got home. A person who has washed the skin off their hands with frequent handwashing, or burnt the skin off using hand sanitizer may wish to cover their raw skin whengoing out in public. That seems like a silly idea and maybe it would do more harm than good. I just don't know.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I think I might have to make some masks for my husband and I. That would be interesting since I am an amateur with sewing projects.
The video shared above is a no sew mask. I feel like it might pull apart with nothing securing it, but a few well placed tack stitches would certainly help that.

Quote:
She says gloves give people a false sense of security.
I agree with your sister!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 PM

I saw this video this morning that uses a dishtowel and two rubber bands to make a mask.

https://www.facebook.com/candy.m.row...8680812469851/

The President said the word scarf like a zillion times in his press conference today, so I am pretty sure you can use a scarf as well.

I agree that most people use gloves incorrectly. Use hand sanitizer and wash your hands often!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 PM

I have a collection of plastic bags that I used to bring my wet bathing suit home from the gym. I have them by the door and use them to take packages from the porch to the garage. They are like the ones in the produce section. Maybe pick up a pair and dispose of them in the trash on the way out of the store.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-01-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
however, my husband is in favor of using bras to make face masks.

The way I'm envisioning would involve two people- one for each cup- but that would not practice social distancing.

I think the main purpose of masks for most (healthy) people right now is to keep you from touching your face. In that case, a scarf would most certainly work.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 PM

I too have used plastic bags in place of gloves. I use them to pump gas too. My sister dropped off a couple roles of doggy poo bags in my mail box. They work perfectly.

imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 PM

Yep, I've started wearing a mask and gloves since the last couple of times I've gone to the grocery store. Dr. Oz said even a bandana is good. I have some dust masks that I've had already, so might as well use them up for now. I also have scarves I could wrap around my nose/mouth.

I'm sure any gloves are good (rubber, plastic, vinyl). I like the vinyl gloves because they fit and feel the best IMO.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

A friend made a mask for me and my DH
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 AM

it is only folded 100% cotton fabric with elastic. I found a box of plastic gloves left over from crafts. Neither of these things are medical grade and they won't really protect us that well from the virus, but if in the odd case WE have the virus it basically stops us from spreading it to others.
We follow the video posted here where the doctor models how to sanitize food brought into the home.
Both my husband and I wear our glasses while we shop because my friend who worked in the medical field pointed out an article that indicated that the virus can enter through the eyes.

We have only gone to the grocery shop 2 times in the past 3 1/2 weeks, and won't go for another 3 to 4 weeks.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

ELAteacher2

Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 AM

You can find gloves in a hair dye kit.
ELAteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 04-02-2020, 05:43 AM

I saw a video posted by a doctor from Cornell Hospital in New York, who said the reason to wear a mask is not to necessarily protect yourself from inhaling the virus, but to remind you not to touch your face. It may be the same video recommended above. The doctor said 99% of the transmission of Covid occurs from you touching something with the virus on it and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth, not from inhaling the virus in the air.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 04-02-2020, 06:39 AM

If someone wears gloves at the grocery store and touches a contaminated surface, donít the gloves actually cause further spread as that person touches things throughout the store?
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 AM

Good research on materials to use for maximum efficiency and breathability

https://www.designworldonline.com/cd...ask-materials/

Using a tshirt(cotton mix) looks good for breathability The tea /dishtowel looks fabulous but there are questions on breathabilty
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/

Here is an easy no sew way to make a mask from a tshirt.Be sure to scroll down for video

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/o...-n95-mask.html
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-02-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
If someone wears gloves at the grocery store and touches a contaminated surface, don’t the gloves actually cause further spread as that person touches things throughout the store?
The gloves would be just as bad as your hands in spreading the virus. I think the gloves are to protect YOUR hands from the virus while shopping. The bad thing about gloves is you MUST remove them with extreme care so as not to contaminate yourself. Here's a clip about how to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATU383lIfT8
Note that after you remove the gloves place them in a secure trash can and wash your hands again.

As PP said, gloves can give you a false sense of safety. You can't touch everything just because you have on gloves because you're possibly spreading the virus.

Recent reports suggest the use of masks in public because that keeps YOU from spreading the virus to others. Of course, a mask might stop you from touching your face so much.

Last edited by Renea; 04-02-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

masks and gloves
Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 AM

We have started wearing gloves to the grocery store and to pump gas. DH found a box of 500 food handlers gloves at Smart and Final. We gave about a hundred to our next door neighbors.
DH is retired construction and had 4 masks stashed away. I'm saving mine for now.
What I'm hearing now on NPR is anything - bandanna, scarf, etc. is better than nothing if you are around people. Just be sure to wash it regularly. Microwaving or ironing will help kill any germs.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-02-2020, 08:35 AM

People discarding gloves in the parking lots here. Who do they think is going to pick then up?
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Oreopete

Ziploc baggies
Old 04-02-2020, 11:05 AM

I bought a box of the quart size ones and use them to get packages, mail, go grocery shopping. Just thinking outside the box
Oreopete is offline   Reply With Quote

EnglishRose

Coffee filters
Old 04-02-2020, 11:10 AM

A nurse friend who works in acute care asked me to make her some masks with a pocket on the inside so she could put a coffee filter in it every hour.
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 04-02-2020, 02:39 PM

I made my first mask today. It was a trial run. It took a little while since I canít follow directions. I need the elastic to be a bit longer. It pulled my ears forward so I looked like Dumbo.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote