Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you ever get overwhelmed

>

SassyTeach

Do you ever get overwhelmed
Old 04-02-2020, 03:00 PM

by what's going on? I'm not typically one who worries or gets anxious about much, but there are times that the reality of what is happening is really overwhelming. My husband and I will be financially okay, so I'm not worried about that, but the economic crash that is inevitable is so scary. The lack of PPEs that my husband (a firefighter) needs, as well as others on the front line, is frightening. The fact that New York doctors are going to have to start field triage similar to Italy is a very real possibility. Cuomo told paramedics to not bring in patients if they can't be revived in the field. People are going to lose their lives, because of hospitals being overrun and understaffed.

I don't mean to go on and on. I'm just having a moment and needed to write this out. I have yet to break down in front of my husband or with my friends IRL (well, though video), and I'm trying to put on a happy face. The truth of the matter is that I'm very frightened by what's happening and there are times it's completely overwhelms me.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM

Itís definitely overwhelming.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Old 04-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Very overwhelming. It terrifies me to see my husband leave the house for work.
kerrysgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Yes. It comes and goes, and I don't have someone in an already risky occupation (like a firefighter), made riskier by stupid people. This is unlike anything most of us (all of us?) have experienced before.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Iím definitely overwhelmed
Old 04-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Iím with my MIL and husband. They want to watch the news every waking minute. I donít want to hear it anymore. We stay in the house, we wash hands, donít touch our faces, only go out for essential things. Thereís nothing more we can do. Why do we have to listen to it 24/7?

linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Yes!
Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM

I get overwhelmed from time to time. I try to push it down because fear is not going to do me or my family any good. Writing in my journal helps.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

me too
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM

I have moments of panic. Panic for my postal worker son and DIL who works at a hospital in questionable positions. I panic about their financial future. I panic and then withdraw from news shows and try to focus on doing something for others.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 04-02-2020, 03:47 PM

I am really worried by times. I am an anxious person at the best of times. especially about sickness, and already dealing with postpartum anxiety. I can manage well for a while, knowing our risk is low and we are doing everything we can. And then it will hit me, usually in the middle of the night.

I have to manage my news consumption - we've stopped watching TV news, I only let myself check the app a few times a day and I often tell my husband I don't want to hear whatever article he is quoting.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Me, too
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM

I have moments of panic. My husband is a paramedic and my sister is a nurse. I have to limit watching the news.
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Overwhelming
Old 04-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Yes. I had that moment today. I have cried twice during all this. I am really worried about my husband (working in the largest prison in TX) and my son (still having contact with the public doing carryout and order preparation).

Today when they were talking on the news about being pretty sure that the vapor just from talking or breathing could infect people I had a really bad reaction. My husband is diabetic. My son should fall under ®young and healthy® but those people are dying also. My son also lives by his school so I am afraid he will get sick and I wonīt know.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Sassy teach
Old 04-02-2020, 04:25 PM

I think everyone has their moments during this crazy pandemic. We shopped again today and I am done going out. Except to walk with my DH. We have enough food for weeks. I just froze a huge container of lentil soup. I do not want to see anyone. Am I paranoid? Perhaps. We have books, Netflix, heat, food, wine. I am prepared to stay here for weeks. We all have moments of panic. How can we not? The news is just so, so sad. I am with you...it is a very crazy time.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM

Looks like I'm in good company. I'm still grieving the loss of my aunt, who had been my mother figure since my mom (her sister) passed 3 years ago. My aunt passed in early February, and I spent that month dealing with end of life affairs for her.

Like everyone else, I am grieving the loss of normal and feeling very frightened about what is coming. NYC...I just am appalled at what our health are workers are being asked to do with few resources to protect themselves and care for the sick. I have a dear friend who is a radiology tech in Chicago. She has to reuse her N95 for days! I live in a rural area with one small hospital that will be overwhelmed when this hits.

My county will go on lockdown tomorrow though my governor refuses to put a statewide order into effect. I'm only 50 miles from StL which has the highest number of cases in the state.

While my principal isn't insisting that we zoom with students, many of my colleagues are, and I am feeling pressured into doing this also. I'm having trouble holding myself together and don't want to have a Hoda moment while in a zoom meeting. I am retiring at the end of the year, so this makes it harder as well.

So, you are not alone in your feelings of anxiety at the current situation. I'm on the other end of the couch.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Yes, I get anxiety and panic attacks at times. I do have Xanax and I don't use if often but I'm glad I have some.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 PM

Iím anxious, stressed, overwhelmed, you name it and Iím feeling it. I do not watch the news at all. My DH still watched but he knows that if I walk in the living room he has to change the channel.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-02-2020, 06:04 PM

You are not alone, I had a melt down today. I should not have watched the daily coronavirus update but I wanted to hear the Treasury Secretary. I didn't change the channel when he was finished but continued to listen until I went pyscho. I live by myself thankfully. Xanax helps.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 PM

I just told my husband what you wrote. He said those people hardly ever make it anyway. In these times the correct decision.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote