West-Coasters (minus Washington State) + Texans: In-N-Out - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

West-Coasters (minus Washington State) + Texans: In-N-Out

>

TheGr8Catsby

West-Coasters (minus Washington State) + Texans: In-N-Out
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 AM

Have I told you the story of how sad In-N-Out makes me? You people seriously over-hype it to the point that it made me disappointed.

I went to California with some west-coast native friends (mainly Cali and Vegas), and they were SO excited about me trying In-N-Out. I was too - not just because of them, but everyone! It's a BIG deal.

I took my first bite of the iconic Double Double, and everyone looked at me at the edge of their seats eager for me to profess my love and desire to buy a house next door to an In-N-Out.

"How is it?" I was asked.

"Umm...honestly..." Everyone's faces just dropped like I had just announced that I was dying.

Y'all. It's Wendy's. With fewer options. There's nothing wrong with Wendy's. I can go through a Wendy's line. I can also go through an In-N-Out, but I was so disappointed of its over-hype that it actually makes me sad to think about it. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

When I said this to some other people, I get "oh, but there's a secret menu. You must not have used it!" Y'all. It's not a secret. I, someone who has only lived in KENTUCKY and before my trip had never been to a STATE with an In-N-Out knew to get animal style.

Texans, as the only place with both I can tell you: I was also underwhelmed by What-a-Burger, but I don't have strong feelings of animosity towards it like In-N-Out. It's the same "I could go there, but I wouldn't seek it out." My West Coast friends were bad-mouthing What-a-Burger before our trip, and I was like "well, I was underwhelmed, so I'm excited about In-N-Out." But...no.

So, in summary In-N-Out makes me sad because I was so disappointed; I need therapy, and this quarantine really needs to chill.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I lived in SoCal for many years.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:24 AM

The lines to In-and-Out Burger used to circle around the parking lot of the strip mall it was in. I never thought their food was anything to write home about. The burgers are bland. The fries were usually cold. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM

Ha! I actually like 5 Guys Burgers & Fries burgers a little better, but I personally like In 'n Out burgers fine. I like Jack in the Box's cheeseburgers. The lines for the In ' Outs in my area are still long.

Regarding french fries, I don't care for In 'n Out, but 5 Guys' cajun fries are good! For some reason, my local Burger King's fries are great.

I personally never saw the hype with:

- Sonic
- Cane's Chicken - the most flavorless fried chicken I've ever had!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 AM

I've had in n out a few times going to baseball games in TX. It's one of the few places that were "safe" for cross contamination for a few people in the group with celiac and severe food allergies we can find.

I was just kinda "meh" about the burgers. Would I eat there again? Yes.

Would I seek it out? No.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM

I'm a California native, and I do agree with you! in-N-Out is a bit overhyped. We will eat there once in awhile, but it isn't something I crave. DS and I really liked Dick's Drive In when we went to Seattle last year, but we are pretty easy to please!

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Native Texan here, expecting great things from the vaunted In-N-Out Burger. It was the food equivalent of anticipating getting to open a beautifully wrapped Christmas present, only to find it contained socks and underwear.

Whataburger is far superior ( at least the burgers and fries have some taste to them) but it certainly isn’t as tasty as the commercials and a lot of Texans would have you believe.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 AM

Well your friends would be even more disappointed in me because I donít like hamburgers and never did. As a kid when my classmates and neighborhood friends were begging their parents to take them to McDonalds, I begged mine not to make me go there.

When my husband and I were in California seven years ago we stopped at one just for chocolate milk shakes which were good.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

In-N-Out
Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 AM

I've lived in SoCal a long time and have eaten at three different In-N-Outs over the years. Underwhelmed each time. I just don't get why they always seem to have long lines.

My favorite fast food place for a hamburger (which admittedly I rarely eat) is Carl's, Jr. I think Farmer Boys almost certainly has great burgers but I'll never know because I always get their fabulous Cobb Salad when I go there. Sadly, during COVID times, I'm only eating what I make at home.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-04-2020, 10:38 AM

I’m a California native and I love fast food (probably because I very rarely have it). But I’ve never been to an In-N-Out because I am ethically opposed to a secret menu.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 AM

We were supposed to get one of those near me this year; not sure if it will still happen with everything going on. I will of course have to try it out and see for myself if it does come!

I really like Larkburger for burgers. They also have really good truffle and parmesan fries. Unless they've expanded, I'm pretty sure they're only in my state.

Quote:
Cane's Chicken - the most flavorless fried chicken I've ever had!
I SO agree. Cane's became popular in my hometown after I left, so when they came here I was excited to try it. People, seasoning is your friend! I didn't know it was possible to have breaded chicken taste that bland. The sauce is good, but you have to smother the chicken in it to get any sort of taste, and you can still taste the underlying grossness of the chicken. And the fries are just like those boring ore ida fries you can buy at the store/make in your oven.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 AM

^ Yep, a few (Cane's) locations have popped up here several mos ago and I tried them once. Never have to again! You and I make much better chicken ourselves.

TheGr8Catsby

Old 04-04-2020, 11:23 AM

As for Cane's, we have a lot of Zaxby's around me. I first tried Cane's in California, also. It reminds me a lot of Zaxby's.

Head-to-head winners:

Chicken: Zaxby's (similar to Cane's but is seasoned)
Fries: Zaxby's
Cole Slaw: Zaxby's
Toast: Cane's

Someone mentioned Carl's Jrs. We're in Hardee's land (if you didn't know, it's the same restaurant under a different name). They're not elusive here. We pass them up most of the time. They probably have the best fast food breakfast.

As for Sonic: better for breakfast. Good for unique drinks. Meh for other food.

annie_g

Old 04-04-2020, 11:27 AM

Hmmm...I love In-n-Out! But the double double is too much meat. I just like the single cheeseburger. And their milkshakes are great!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-04-2020, 11:28 AM

TheGr8Catsby, my top fast food winners are (in no certain order):

- Jack in the Box - but pricier than most other fast food

- Waba Grill - Good-tasting

- Del Taco - Love their spicy jack chicken quesadillas and that they have TURKEY tacos

- Popeye's - Love their cajun rice and flavor of their chicken and that they have fish, but the seasoning is a little too salty

- 5 Guys Burger & Fries - Offers a lot more toppings on than In 'n Out

Gogogo

I donít get it, either
Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 PM

We have an In-and-Out here in Northern California. The lines are always long. The burgers are OK. Just like all fast food places are OK. There’s nothing special it

I LOVE French Fries. That’s the only place where I don’t order them. They are horrible. I really don’t understand the allure of it. Nice t-shirts, though.

There’s a place in the Midwest called Culver’s that has Butter Burgers. Those are mighty tasty.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 04-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Culver's is probably my favorite. It's not hyped like In-N-Out, though. It's good fast food.

sportsmom88

Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM

I have never ate any of the restaurants discussed, but my favorite is Culver's for burgers. Taco John's for mexican style food, my top pick would be Chick - Fil a. Unfortunately no Chick-Fil a's close in my town. I live in Iowa.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-04-2020, 01:27 PM

I like Wendy's! Their fries are tops! It's one of my favorite fast food places.

I had In-n-Out burger once on a trip to California. I wasn't super impressed, but it was fine.

I was actually just cravings Dick's (get your minds out of the gutter) Burgers yesterday. There's nothing special, but I like them.

I like Culver's, but I only get those when I go back to the midwest.

I like Five Guys, but it's pricey. Burgermaster is also pricey, but it's good.

Dh loved Kidd Valley, but I think it was pricey.

Dh really loves Blake's Lotaburger and misses it greatly. I think it's mostly (only?) in NM. He compares every burger to Blake's. He thinks Five Guys comes closest. And perhaps Kidd Valley.

In spite of myself, I also like Jack-in-the-Box.

I also like McDonald's in a pinch. Burger King is fine, too, but I hate their fries.

Obviously, I'm not super picky.

I've never heard of Cane's, of all the places that were mentioned.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2020, 02:57 PM

I LOVE Culver's. There is one very close to my house and in "before virus" times I used to go there about once per week. Even when I'm "on the wagon" I fit it into my calorie day. My go to meals are the buffalo chicken tenders with cheese curds as the side or a burger with fries and cheese sauce as the side. I miss it!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Burgers
Old 04-04-2020, 03:14 PM

Iíve eaten In n Out and Iím not impressed at all. It was just an everyday burger, nothing Iíd seek out. I eat at Whataburger every now and then, they are fine. I love Braumís burgers! They are my favorite fast food burger.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Burger
Old 04-04-2020, 04:18 PM

I’ve never had In-n-out, but I was very underwhelmed with What-a-burger. I didn’t care for Zaxby’s at all either.

I do love 5 Guys.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM

I do like In-N-Out. Itís just a good, basic, inexpensive fast food burger.

I usually order the cheeseburger (not double-double) with chopped yellow chiles in it (for a little heat). They do peel and cut the potatoes in houseóI like that fact, but yeah, their fries arenít the best (I think maybe because they donít double fry them). But I still like Ďem just fine. I havenít ordered their shakes in a long time, but my favorite was the vanilla shake. They make them from ice cream; yum.

I suppose I like them for the simple menu, low-ish prices, cleanliness, happy employees, and maybe for an old fashioned vibe of a place that has never changed their menu in all the many years Iíve been going there.

Keltikmom

In and Out
Old 04-04-2020, 05:35 PM

Itís awful. I donít understand the slavish devotion to their food, secret orders or not. Their burgers are tiny and blah and their French fries taste like paper.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

A fan.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:51 PM

I rarely eat fast food, but I love In N Out. My kids do, too. Their fries are meh, but their burgers are my favorite.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-04-2020, 06:05 PM

In'n'Out burgers are fine; I'm not a fan of their fries.

But when I lived in CA, the big draw to In'n'Out was how cheap it was, the cleanliness of the establishment and how they treated their employees. Much higher than minimum wage pay and generous flexibility for students (college town).

I do think the burgers are better than comparably priced fast food! There are better fast food burgers, but they're also usually twice as expensive or more.

https://www.businessinsider.com/in-n...yee-pay-2018-1
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 PM

I have to be offended by comparing In-n-Out to Jack in the Box. That's fairly blasphemous!

I hate 5 Guys. I really don't like any fast food burgers.

I love In-n-Out. I love the simple menu. I love that it's pretty cheap and my family of 5 can eat and be satisfied for $25. I can't do a double double, though. Too much meat.

They pay well and treat their employees very well. Their restaurants are always clean and well run. And the food is consistent from one establishment to another.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I have to be offended by comparing In-n-Out to Jack in the Box. That's fairly blasphemous!
I didn't see anyone comparing the two- just listing Jack in the Box as another place some people liked
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't see anyone comparing the two- just listing Jack in the Box as another place some people liked
Sorry, meant Wendy's! It was compared to Wendy's (where the only good thing is the frosty).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Ugh to In n Out
Old 04-05-2020, 01:01 AM

Personally, I love a Habit cheeseburger! Full of mayo and lettuce and the grilled onions, YUM!!! I too, am a California native, and I don't care for In N Out at all. Although the fries are okay.

Favorite fast food:

Del Taco, love their fries and egg/cheese burrito

The Habit!

Wendy's, their burgers are decent, and their natural lemonade is quite tasty

Everything else is meh.
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote
BurgerBabe

BurgerBabe

Fast food burger
Old 04-05-2020, 05:20 AM

I agree about being underwhelmed with In and Out, but I love Whataburger! I'll take a Monteray Melt with fries any day! (Well not really, too many calories!) Their breakfast taquitos are also good. I think what I love about them is that you can always customize your burger or taquito with delicious add ons. Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience!