Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Things were weird!

>

Ima Teacher

Things were weird!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 PM

I got out today to take supper to my mom. Local place has $4 Fridays, and itís a favorite for short-order types of stuff.

Anyway, thatís not the weird part.

Mom had a grocery list, so I added it to my pickup order for Kroger. Earliest pickup day is Wednesday night. Thatís okay. We have plenty enough stuff until then. However, Mom did need a few things before then.

This is the weird part.

The local grocery (only one) had a constable at the door. Only 20 people in the store at a time. One person per cart. Limits of one on the common items. I didnít stand in line long. Maybe 10 minutes? I only saw one person who was a angry about standing in line. She left. The entire store was marked off in 6í squares. You could not be in the same square as anyone else. The cashiers are behind plexiglass, and there is a designated spot for buyers to stand in while they check you out. They load your bags into a cart, then you take the cart.

I only carried the debit card with me. I sent DH a ďget meĒ voice text from my watch. He said I seemed near panic. I got a little overwhelmed at the whole process. Maybe Iíll be recovered from that experience before time to pick up the groceries on Wednesday. Iíll have a 30 minute drive to prepare myself for that, though. Plus, I donít have to go inside the store.

Whatís been weird for you?

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Shopping Today For Groceries
Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 PM

The six foot squares are a great idea so everyone keeps their space! I like that.

I have been buying groceries online for some time now and picking them up curbside. Now I am still ordering online but getting them delivered to my home.

Whenever you went on line in the past you could always find a time the next day to pick up. Now they are booked two weeks in advance.

Also before you could total out and pick a time but you could go back and add items you forgot up to four hours before your delivery or pick up time. Now you can only add four items and that is it.

I usually get three to five substitutes on my orders now and two or three items are not available at all. Not too bad. Very doable.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM

I wish we could buy essential items online.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-03-2020, 06:42 PM

That sounds really intense! I haven't seen anything like that, but I haven't shopped in a while.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Weird
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Groceries are a big deal... curbside and delivery are swamped and nearly impossible to book. Iíve been to a supermarket a few times and come away hoping that I didnít catch it.

SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 PM

I am in love with the 6' square idea!!! That needs to become a thing! The lack of 6' squares stresses me out.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 PM

That is very weird! I guess that's life in the time of COVID! I keep putting off going to the grocery store. Haven't been in two weeks. Not looking forward to going and seeing all of the weirdness!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 04-03-2020, 07:56 PM

There was a post a few days ago about what we should keep from this experience. I like the lines on the floor telling people where to stand. I don't need 6 feet when I'm standing in line, but sometimes I just want to turn around and ask people to at least give me a foot or 2. Hate when people are in my personal space!
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 04-04-2020, 02:59 AM

Today it will be my first time in a grocery store in three weeks, kind of curious to see what itís going to be like .
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Arrows
Old 04-04-2020, 05:25 AM

My husband works with multiple grocery stores. He said Walmart is going to put arrows on the floor so you can only go in one direction down an aisle. That way the aisles wonít be so crowded.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 AM

Our grocery stores look like a video game, arrows on the floor so you can only go onecway down aisles, squares marked off, footprints to show you were to stand to wait for the next check out.
We also have a ďbouncerĒ at the door, someone wiping carts down, hand washing sinks at entrance and exit and plexi glass for cashiers.
ily is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I went to the grocery store
Old 04-04-2020, 06:09 AM

Last week during senior hour. It was not crowded and there were lines on the floor to wait for a cashier. We didn't even have to wait. A new cashier came on duty and took us right away.

We wore masks and gloves and went through sanitizing all the items we purchased like the video of a doctor showed people how to. We also washed our clothes and aired out our jackets and didn't wear them for more than 2 days, just in case.

The only hiccup I had at the store was when I was in the aisle searching for yeast. I was on a hopeless hunt. My DH was standing at the end of the aisle and had to call out to me. Another shopper wanted to get sometime in that aisle but didn't want to pass me. I walked to the other end of the aisle and around the corner so she could get what she needed and then went back to search.

Most of our stores are doing their best to make sure their customers are as safe as possible.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

My niece, who is 40, is doing InstaCart
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 AM

shopping for people. She is making a fortune. I thought about doing it, but then realized it probably was not a great idea. But still...

I am lucky that all of my workout classes, including Zumba, are being given FREE online. Getting in two workouts a day, one zumba, one cardio or weights, yoga, etc.

My closets are getting cleaner by the minute. Also organizing all cupboards and packing stuff away for yard sales. Will we ever have yard sales again??

Next project is to list everything on eBay that I think I might be able to sell that way. I used to keep 200-300 items in my eBay store, but have been slacking off the past two or three years. Time to get started.

Cooking - if Farmer makes one more loaf of banana bread, I may explode. We are eating such great meals.

Today is beautiful and sunny and close to 50 degrees. I really should take a walk.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Most big stores in my area started doing this a couple of days ago. I have not gone and participated yet but will probably have to tomorrow/
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 PM

Saw some pictures of some grocery stores that have put plexiglass shields up to protect cashiers.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2020, 08:10 PM

I had a similar experience at the grocery store a few days ago. The whole situation seemed very eerie to me.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote