Help

The VENT

I donít have any ďpeopleĒ

>

checkerjane

I donít have any ďpeopleĒ
Old 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know some of give your eye teeth for this situation, but itís really got me down.

As the only sped teacher in my building, I feel like Iím on an island by myself. My schedule is different than everyone elseís, and sometimes changes daily. I donít have recess duty with anyone (I have car and hall duty), my lunch time is basically whenever I can grab it, and my planning time isnít with anyone elseís.

We have a Group Me app for my building, and lots of grade level teams are posting stuff and others are chiming in about how something was so funny, or do you remember when, or canít wait to see you guys again, kind of stuff. I had to help hand out packets and iPads the other day, and it was really nice visiting and feeling like I was part of the team.

Granted, Iíve already resigned, so itís not like Iíll have to worry about it next year, Iím just kind of bummed about it.

And, off note, cross everything you have for me because I have not heard from any where I applied. Iím telling myself, and I know itís true in my heart, that everyone is consumed with all the changes and hiring is the last thing on their minds, itís just nerve wracking.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Distance is hard.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry you're feeling left out. SPED is often on an island because it's so different from what GenEd does.

I have no special words, except that there are caring people out there.

I also want to thank you for reminding me to stay connected to support staff at my school.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why did you resign already? Stressful place to be?

I can totally relate. I taught GT K-6 for one year at my previous school, and since I was the only one and made my own schedule for the pullouts, never had anything in common with other staff! It is a lonely island to be on no doubt!
MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 04-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Why did you resign already? Stressful place to be?

I can totally relate. I taught GT K-6 for one year at my previous school, and since I was the only one and made my own schedule for the pullouts, never had anything in common with other staff! It is a lonely island to be on no doubt!
Yes! I have a non-verbal autistic kiddo who attacked my para and I several times a day and left bruises from bites and scars from scratches. Admin told me it was ďpart of the jobĒ and did nothing to help up out and often sided with the parent. She outright threw me under the bus with them during a meeting.

After a particularly crappy day, I resigned. I should have waiting until I had another job lined up, but I didnít and now Iím feeling the pressure. It was dumb.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Donít give up. Even though we are out of school my district is posting jobs for next year. Iím. Sure they will not be interviewing until summer but at least they are posted.

cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2020, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've always bonded with other special ed staff- people like the school psych, SLP, OT, etc. The counselor is in our "group" as well even though she's not technically sped. We have two sped teachers in my building now, but when I started it was just me. We also added a self-contained program this year. I also worked in another building where I was the only one. I do find it hard to "bond" with the classroom teachers due to the nature of the job. I'm very thankful for my teammates. I hope your next school provides a situation like this for you.

Really our interventionists/title 1 teachers have the most similar job to me in terms of teaching (of course they don't have to worry about all of the IEP stuff ), and for quite awhile I really tried to work and collaborate with them, but they just weren't having it. They made it very clear they only want to work with each other. They love to show off and I honestly think they were afraid I'd "steal" some of their "credit." While I sometimes wish I had someone to bounce instructional ideas off of, at least I have my teammates for emotional support and people to socialize with, and they can help with the IEP side of things. And as far as planning, really it's 10x faster to plan on my own than having to run everything by teammates/plan everything together. So I am grateful for that aspect- being totally in control of what I do within my own classroom/job.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote