Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Puppy Scare and emergency vets

>

Claire

Puppy Scare and emergency vets
Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Last night my ds 19 called me and his gf was on the way here to the emergency vet with their puppy. Their house/college is 45 min away and the emergency vet by us was the closest one. Apparently their roommate´s larger lab mix had gotten into roommates bedroom and gotten into some type of protein/preworkout suppliments the roommate uses and ds puppy ate them as well. She found both dogs extremely sick when she got home from work. Roommate was at work as well. So she called my son at work to see what to do. Unfortunately, they were both sick but ds puppy is tiny (mini dachshund) only 6 lbs so she was more critical.

My ds was so upset because he forgot to crate her when he left and he is so attached to this dog. So he left work to meet her there, and it was a huge ordeal due to corona and the vet not letting people inside. He had to call in, wait on hold forever, check both dogs in and give all the info, and then when gf arrived with them call back in and hold until the tech could come to the door and meet them with the dogs. He couldn´t go in with her and had to just wait outside in the truck as they kept calling with info. Vet required ds to call ¨pet poison control¨ to get info for them and pet poison control required a fee in addition to the vet bills.

They ended up having to stay overnight getting IV´s etc, blood work, etc.

The crazy thing is the cost. I understand vets are expensive and they need their pay, but I feel like emergency vets get people in a bad position because they are desperate and that place is the only place open. They had to pay a deposit of 839.00 per dog BEFORE they would even start to help the dogs. They were literally in distress and the vet was telling ds on the phone that he needed his card up front and ¨no they didn´t do payment plans¨ (he hadn´t even asked for a payment plan) so what did he want to do?

I guess it´s a good thing I´m not an emergency vet because I could never watch an animal dying and refuse treatment because the owner didn´t have that huge chunk of money up front.

Anyway, they picked them up a little while ago and they are okay. The roommates dog recovered quicker than the little one. She´s fine right now and they were told they need to monitor her heart rate for a couple of days to make sure it doesn´t get extremely elevated again like it was.

What an ordeal. He has had some super crappy luck during all of this quarantine. I´m so glad she pulled through, but they definitely could not afford this right now. I´m sure he will never forget to get her in her crate again before he leaves.

I told my dd 14 last night when we were both awake worried that the worst part of being a parent is when you see your child distraught and there is nothing you can do to help the situation. That has always been what I found the hardest about parenting.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I’m so sorry you had to go through that.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 AM

I agree about the cost. We paid an emergency vet over $2000 one time, and our sweet dog still died. They won’t do anything until you pay up front.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 AM

The emergency vet in our town is almost as bad. They don’t haggle over the phone like that, but they are somewhat difficult. I will say when Mason has his major accident 1 1/2 years ago, they were amazing. I think (at our e-vet) it depends which vet you get.

I’m sorry your DS went through that. I’m glad your DS’s puppy is on the road to recovery.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM

You might want to suggest to your ds to look into pet insurance. My college dd started paying it for her cat. She found one that pays for well checks and vaccinations and almost comes out even - but it pays copays for larger things and she has had to use that, too. It has paid off for her.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Pet Insurance
Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Kahlua...how does he find it? Just google? Do all vets accept it or just certain ones? That would probably be really good for him! Thanks!

kahluablast

Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM

I am sure she looked on line- she might have found info first at Petsmart or the vet shop.

My dh's job actually added Pet Insurance as a thing employees can choose as a pretax deduction. I haven't seen that with the school program, but it might be an option I just haven't seen.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM

I am glad the dogs are ok. I have had two awful experiences at emergency vets. They are all about the money and not about anything else. My last trip, a young couple walked out of the exam room and she said to her husband, who is selling their kidney for this? The desk staff then signed them up for a credit card they use. How sad. I would get pet insurance. I have used vpi which is now Natonwide pet insurance. I highly recommend it. I pay upfront then get reimbursed. It pays for vaccines, meds, and visits.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-05-2020, 11:02 AM

My next dog WILL have pet insurance.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 04-05-2020, 11:41 AM

I just looked into it and sent him some names. He said they will look into it AV (thanks Amiga). He´s pretty much unemployed right now due to the virus. He gets like 10 hrs a week at his restaurant.

I can´t wait until this is over and everything can start getting back to BV status.

MissTrace

Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM

We’ve had good experiences with our local emergency vet, but we haven’t needed extended care either. They are pricey, but in our case they gave us the option Xrays with them or taking her to our regular vet. We chose to wait after having her looked at and our suspicions confirmed. Of course our dog has become quite expensive over the years.

I’m with GG, our next pets will have insurance!

MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-05-2020, 12:09 PM

I am so sorry that this happened to your DS. (Although the idea of your football-playing DS being so attached to such a little dog has me going,"Awwww.") I'm glad you looked into health insurance for the pets.
I have a friend who worked at an emergency vet's office. Here's what she told me about why they're so expensive: first, it's the hours. Most people don't like working evenings/weekends/holidays. Almost every place that I've worked that offers those kinds of hours pays more for people who are willing to work off peak hours. As a single mom, it's well-nigh impossible for me to work those hours. To get people to staff those locations round the clock, they need to pay them more. They also need to have it reliable staffed, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year...the emergency vet that I've used doesn't make people come in to get their pets at 7 am to take them to their regular vets. They offer round the clock care.
They also have to be prepared for anything and everything. Nobody takes their pets to an emergency vets' office unless they're desperately concerned about their pet. Their pets are desperately ill or injured and it is very serious and can't wait. ER vets have to be prepared for the worst emergencies and for ANY emergency. Hit by a car; dehydrated, ate something poisonous, etc. They often are prepared for almost any type of emergency.
Hugs to you all.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Cruxian...
Old 04-05-2020, 12:13 PM

Oh yes, this dog has become his baby. She literally lays in his arm like a baby feet up.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM

I am so glad the dogs are both OK now, but wow, that is terribly expensive! ER vets here are also much more costly than regular vet offices and I think you are right. They know they can get it because people are desperate.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 PM

I am happy to hear the pups are well. I guess the roommate learned to keep his stuff up higher.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote