Help

The VENT

Teaching math remotely...ugh

>

Violet123

Teaching math remotely...ugh
Old 04-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been given direction to assign a 30 min daily math assignment to my small group special ed class. They canít do it when Iím with them let alone independently! I have no idea how to do this! Iíve been assigning IXL so far.. but theyíre either not doing it , they donít know how to do it or I assign something that only takes them 5 mins to complete. If I send a worksheet how will they complete it and return it to me? Ugh! This is so crazy!!! I have 6th and 7th graders and they are so needy!
Iíve never wanted school to start again so badly!!!!! Ugh!

Thanks! Needed to vent. I know weíre all in the same boat. Hold on!!!

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, are you planning to do it synchronously (with the kids together) or asynchronously (with you recording it)?

If youíre doing it together Iím hearing a lot of good things about Jamboard (a Google app that I havenít played with but itís on my list tonight and tomorrow) being used with Zoom or Meets. You can also have the kids use add on manipulatives to help.

If youíre doing it the other way id totally recommend Screencastify.

As a sped teacher I see the benefits of both but I like recording it so the kids can rewatch if necessary. You could do a flipped typed classroom where you record, they watch and do the assignment and then you meet to go over it and clarify anything.

I hope this helps.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Advice
Old 04-06-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For doing a worksheet, you can assign it on Google Classroom. If you use Google docs, they can show their work on their own, on the honor system, and type the answer on the doc and submit it to you. Just make sure when you post the worksheet to google classroom, you select "make a copy for each student".

You could do a PDF and have the kids install Kami as a google extension. Then, they can show their work right on the worksheet and turn it in to you. Again, when you post the PDF, make sure you select make a copy for each student.

I'm planning on teaching my math lessons via Google Meet, but not live. I'll record just myself and share my screen. I'll use a PDF document with Kami or Jamboard, another Google extension to show/teach the skill. There will be times where I can meet with small groups on Google Meet for any students with questions. If they are working on the assignment, they can share their screen with me and I can help.

I'll admit, it's not ideal. It's much better/easier to teach students in person in the classroom...but what are we going to do? We don't have to choice. This is the best option with what we have/with the cards that have been dealt.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 04-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could use Edpuzzle. You find a YouTube video over the content youíre teaching an then can embed questions in the video. I like it because it give you a grade and they cannot skip watching the video. It will not even let them fast forward.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I make my own videos and then post them on EdPuzzle with questions at the spots where I would normally ask a question in person.

You can also find other people's Youtube lessons and put them on EdPuzzle.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet123

Thank you
Old 04-06-2020, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the ideas. I do have access to many of tech options mentioned. Iím just not a tech person and itís so overwhelming for me.
One day at a time. Thank you for your ideas!
Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I mad it super easy for my parents to submit any paper work (many of my kids donít have any devices), the parents just send me a picture if each completed piece of work through ClassDojo. Iím also using the portfolio section of ClassDojo for them to submit work.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Math
Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think we have the same class! I have been using Screenomatic and Google Slides for my lessons - and IXL for skill practice. I tape my lesson slide by slide while teaching my students how to solve problems and then assign practice. I have also used the screenshot function on my laptop to create worksheets. I have inserted the screenshots into a Google doc, then I have inserted text boxes on the Google doc where the students are to place their answers so they do not have to open in Kami. It is very time consuming as we do not use a textbook in my resource room class and I have to create everything!

It seems a bit unfair that some teachers have just sent home work packets and are not teaching. But on the bright side, I have all of these resources that I can use next year!

Wishing you the best!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you assign the work in Google classroom, try using a google drawing to make the assignment. Then they can use drawing tools to show their work.

Jamboard is good too. Either way, a short instructional video would be helpful - or work with the products in a "live" meet.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote