MAT Leave - how to cope with not going back.. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

MAT Leave - how to cope with not going back..

>

Smiles66

MAT Leave - how to cope with not going back..
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
While this thread might be irrelevant for quite a few, I was hoping I would get some feedback from some other teachers about how they dealt with not going back in the fall because they were on MAT leave. This will be my first September in six years where I won't be going back. OF course, my MAT leave ends just after xmas and I will be returning, but I'm so sad that someone will be starting the year with the kiddos I will get to meet in January. How did you cope? Any comments will be helpful!

P.S. I am in contact with the LTO replacement, but I don't want to feel like I'm invading her space.

Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

enjoy the time
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It was summer when I had my son, so I too did not start the year that September. To be perfectly honest, it did not bother me in the least. I say just enjoy your baby and not worry about it. The class will be fine with the supply, and they will be fine with you. I would not even contact her, as it is her class until January. Enjoy the time--it is too short.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Have you had your baby yet?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I looked back through some of your past postings and saw no mention of a new baby. I am thinking maybe its not here yet. If that is the case, just hang in there. You will have lots to do and not miss school so much then.

I was in the same situation 48 years ago. My son was born Sept. 10 and that was the first year I had not started back to school since I was 5 years old. It was hard!
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Swimmergirljz

Swimmergirljz

Maternity Leave
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Let the sub do her own thing, and stay home and enjoy the baby. You could send a letter to the class in Nov/Dec, "Dear Class, I hope you are having a great year so far with Ms. _____. I have anew baby named __ and I have been taking care of him, but I will be coming back to school in January. I can't wait to meet all of you and get to know you. I have some wonderful books I am eager to read to you, and we will have a great time together.... etc."

Then, stay out of it until then. When I went back after maternity leave, I just acted like it was the first day of school and even said to the kids , "Pretend like it's the first day of school today!" I went in during the break (after the sub's last day) and changed the bulleting boards, rearranged the kids' desks and moved my desk and changed the general classroom arrangement. You'll be starting all over with new routines, and there is no point in trying to have the sub "be" you, because we are all different. I recommend really re-establishing your own style and not continuing with the sub's ideas. The kids will adapt.

frogger25

It will go fast
Old 08-30-2008, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Smiles66....It will go so fast.... I too had similar feelings after the birth of my first child. I couldn't believe that the school would go on with out me and that things would be fine. But, they were and your time home will go so fast that it will feel like you weren't even gone. The students will adjust and so will you. I wish you the best and hope that you enjoy your time home because your children grow so fast! Enjoy this special time with yours.

I do agree that limited contact is fine and then just change what you want when you return. I know have returned twice in January after two kids and it goes very smoothly.

Good luck!

frogger25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Caralala

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It does go fast...too fast. Once your baby is here you'll be happily distracted from school thoughts/feelings. I had my little girl in July. I set up the room in September because I too was returning in Jan. It didn't bother me not to start the year because I knew I had only precious time with my little one and then I would be back.

I am expecting our second and will be leaving in November. This time it is strange because I feel so ready for a new year yet I'll be leaving them in 2 1/2 months. I know though that they will be in good hands and I will be where I need to be.
Best of luck!
Caralala is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles66

Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks to everyone who responded! Yes, I have had my baby (this past January) and when I didn't return after Christmas, I was SO busy that I didn't have time to "miss" school at all. Now that my little one is 8 months, I have a little more time to stew about it...lol. My husband is also a teacher and has been talking this past week about going back - so I'm thinking that's why I'm missing it more. Thanks for all of your advice, I will definitely enjoy the rest of the time I have with her and go back like it's the first day of school after Christmas. Thanks so much!
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote