Help

ARCHIVE

Unsuccessful week with Reading Logs!

>

kyteacher

Unsuccessful week with Reading Logs!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, I need help and suggestions. I usually give a reading comprehension sheet and a math sheet each night for homework. However, I decided to use a Reading Log and let students select a chapter book from the class to read for the week and record the pages, minutes, response each night on the Reading Log. I had two parent notes that said their children said they read at school and would that count for their reading logs, several students lost the reading log and didn't even have theirs, four students didn't fill it out more than two nights, etc. It was very discouraging.

I was hoping not to have to copy, pass out and collect reading pages for each night of the school week but based on the results of this past week and parent comments, they would rather have a specific reading page with a passage and questions for their child to do each night. I agree that this way has its advantages as students are working on specific skills each night. However, I also like students to be able to read books of their choice too and I think it is too much to ask them to read the assigned sheet and answer questions, do their math page and read independently each night.

Any suggestions???????

kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

my thing this year...
Old 09-09-2006, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i also did reading logs last year, and it was extremely unsuccessful. this year, i moved to second grade and i'm doing it a little different. my entire class are not yet at grade level for reading, so picture books are their best choices. what i'm going to do is make sure they read some sort of book every night and i'm sending home different activities that are to be done once they have read the book. one actvity is to draw the beginning, middle, and end of stories. another, they pick 4 words that were in the story (important words, not works like a, and, etc!) then they graph how many times that word popped up during the story. they will draw/write about their favorite character or part of the story. basically, e every night they will have one worksheet to do. and to make it easier for myself, i'm probably going to keep it the same five worksheets especially during this new part of the year. we'll see what happens.
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

Last year in 2nd
Old 09-10-2006, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I sent home regular homework each night but on Mondays I sent home a reading log for the week. On the back was a sheet that did beg, mid end, connectionse... some kind of response. they could pick a book on their reading level and do it any night. The completed log and worksheet was due on Friday. Other reading hw was added when needed. Hope this helps. I just kept stressing that reading logs are hw and same consequences go for all hw.
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles66

Model it!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi there,
This year I have created a classroom book log and have explained to the kids how important it is, to see what kinds of books we are reading. We classify the books into different categories too....like fiction, non-fiction, poetryetc..I model the importance of recording the books for the first three weeks..then I give them their own to use at home and they are usually more motivated to do it.
Here is my book log form if you want to try it....
Attached Files
File Type: doc My Reading Log.doc (41.5 KB, 129 views)
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeChick

Old 09-10-2006, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds interesting, I'm wondering if it would work for me. I send home a log where they record minutes of what they read aloud to parents. I require 240 minutes each month.

I would love to add some comprehension questions as well...not sure how to except with a report they would fill out and i might try that.

2ndGradeChick is offline   Reply With Quote

tbsrwilson

Reading Logs
Old 09-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I send home a reading log for the week on Mondays. My kiddos are requires tor read for 20 min nightly and record a brief summary or connection to what they read. I give 50 homework points for the week for completed logs (10 points per day.) In the first week or so I had some that were not doing it, but as I held them accountable for that reading time and it effects their grade if they choose not to do it, I am now having much more success with it. I didn't give in just because they didn't read. I think that it is really important that they read at home, and so it is a requirement. I am attaching the reading log I use.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Home Reading Log - Frog.doc (162.5 KB, 76 views)
tbsrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

reading logs
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach third and do have a reading log similar to smile66's log. I require them to read 20 minutes a night for a total of 100 min. a week. Yes, this means they need to read on Friday night or one night on the weekend. If they turn it in on the following Monday they get a 100 for a reading grade. They usually catch on quick that it's an eay 100. My homework grades only count 20% of the grading period, so it's not that big of a deal to me.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

gaither3

love the log
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We do reading logs at our school as well. Fortunately, it is required school wide to read thirty minutes each night. During registration parents sign a home reading compact that is put in the child's file. We also keep a log on a spreadsheet in a shared file so that the principal can keep track of the reading minutes of each student, class, and the entire school. The students are really motivated when they find out the principal is watching, and we continually remind parents that they have signed the contract stating that they will read to, with, or listen to their child read each night.
gaither3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mamahawk

Reading Challenge
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do reading logs similar to others here for 3/4 combination (17 students this year). On Mondays I use construction paper rings to form a chain. Every time a child reads 100 minutes they get their name put on a strip and stappled onto the class chain. I use a new color each month. As the chain gets longer I wind it around the classroom. I use a simple Excel form to record actual weekly minutes. Kids are always amazed at how quickly the minutes add up (also connects to math lessons )
mamahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
brittany

brittany

what is this??
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

what is this progam i am new help me out

thanks,
brittany williams

brittany

brittany

o.k
Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

hi me again is this for teachers or not?????

fun_friend

Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I taught 6th graders and my reading log requirement was definitely unsuccessful. The majority of the students didn't DO the reading, or recording, and the parents didn't do any initialing. I collected reading logs every Monday, but it was light grading because the kids didn't do it. I made a flyer for the kids to take home explaining the independent reading requirement, but to no avail. I expected 100 minutes per week, but it just didn't happen for 80 percent of the kids. Sigh.

My 3rd grader brings home a folder each night with a log stapled in it. The sheet has homework on it plus behavior and comments from teacher. Each day has a place to record reading at home. This teacher requires 15-20 minutes per night. Parents are expected to initial daily that we've seen the homework, behavior record, and comments, plus that the child has done the reading. I wonder how many of the students don't really do the reading.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote