Need some math center ideas for first grade! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Need some math center ideas for first grade!

>

Mrs. M

Need some math center ideas for first grade!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am particularly looking for some activities that have to do w/ apples (not necessarily real apples, I would rather use die cut apples), but any counting, number sense, more/fewer, pattern activities would be helpful. THanks!!

Mrs. M is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Book
Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have Games for Math by Peggy Kaye (public library should have it). Many of the games use things like poker chips, etc. and you could modify them for apples.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

txteach07

Apple Activities
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could have several short story problems for them to solve using the apple cutouts and a larger tree (or basket) picture/cutout. Maybe...There are 6 apples on the tree. Four fell out. How many are left? Or something similar.
txteach07 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

file folder games
Old 09-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are some file folder games on http://www.busyteacherscafe.com. I believe one of them deals with apple contractions, which you can print in color. There are three free ones and you can also buy packages of file folder games for download for like $4.00. I got the sports one, which has all math games.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote

cariokie

some ideas
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Cut different colors of apples (red, green, yellow) Have the kids make patterns and glue them onto sentence strips.

Make a memory game with numerals on one apple and the matching number word on the other.

Give them a cut out apple tree and apples. Write math facts on index cards. They have to show the problem with the apples.

Write numbers on cards. Have another stack of cards that has the words "more" or"less" . Kids have to draw a number and a card and show an example using apples. If they drew the number 5 and "less" then they might show 3 or 4 apples.

cariokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

Poison Apple
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Poison Apple is a "thinking" game; Cut out 13 red apples and 1 brown apple (the poison one). Spread them on a table between two children. The children take turns removing either 1 or 2 apples from the set (their choice) but the trick is NOT to end up with the poison apple.

Make a game board and use sets of green and red apples to play X's and O's with.

Using real apples, designate one as the "teachers" apple. Have the children compare the other apples to "your" apple on a balance scale and record if the apples were heavier or lighter. Or weigh the different apples in pennies.

Have each child in the group choose a real apple, and from a hank of yarn, estimate (without touching the apple) how much yarn it would take to make a "belt" (circumference) for the apple. After they cut their yarn, they try it around their apple, and display the belt under the headings "too short" , "too long" "just right".

Easy numberword vocab review game; make 11 trees with colored paper on a white background. Print a number word on each tree, zero to ten, and give the children a handful of die cuts. They set the correct number of apples on each tree. You could make it self correcting by letting them lift a flap on the bottom or turn the tree over to see the numeral printed.

Ordering seasons; pictures of apple trees in the four seasons - the child orders them and labels with the name of the season.

Smiles66

Higher/Lower
Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A fun game that you might play with the entire class first, might just be to put apples (with numbers to 50 printed on the back) on a tree on the wall. Then have one student turn an apple over and say the number aloud. Then have a second and third student choose a number and say them aloud. Then the three students need to get in order from smallest to biggest or vice versa. I found out early on this year that my grade twos can print the hundred's chart perfectly but they don't have a solid understanding of higher and lower numbers (18, 27, 40).
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Erica Steb..

Erica Steb..

Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm graphing the flavors (colors) of apples that the students like best. All I had to do was draw and photocopy the apple cut-out. Each student will put their name on it, color it and then togehter we will add them to the graph. After, we'll add the apples from each group and add the apples from all three groups. Then we'll dicuss which group has the most apples, the fewest, or where ever else it leads us! (I'm sticking to red, yellow and green apples!)
andymary

andymary

How to verbs using the inductive approach
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have to give a class for students in fourth grade. I have to teach past and present tense of a list of verbs how can I teach them in a meaningful way and using the inductive approach.