Help

ARCHIVE

center time- when you're done,early finishers

>

BethNav

center time- when you're done,early finishers
Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i have a question. some of my kids are finishing their centers early and i need to figure out some choices they can have as far as what they can do when they finish a center. i would like them to be literacy based. i would like to create a poster with the class and list things they can do when they are done. has anyone ever done this or know what the kids could do? thanks a lot, beth

BethNav is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgal

shopgal

Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

okay, well I do understand what you mean about "early finishers". Right now I am ringing a bell when the kids shoudl switch centers, but eventually i will let them do it on their own. Anyways, good chioce time cetners are
computer, storytelling (with a theater), listening

try it out and just be careful that they are not rushing trhough to get to those centers..
Carole Webb

Carole Webb

1st grade teacher
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give them the choice to write in their journals, finish old work, read, use the writing center or work in their "weekly packet" a packet distributed on Monday to use on an ongoing basis all week. The packet includes letter & numeral formation practice, dot to dots and cut & paste worksheets. Good luck!

Smiles66

Debbie Diller
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've posted this tons because I really believe it has helped me run successful centers. Debbie Diller calls them workstations which the kids will never "finish". They are centers with practise from what you do in your modeled and shared leassons. The book is Literacy Workstations that Work and it is excellent. It is in the $25 range and I highly recommend it. When you read it you will understand what she means about workstations that they will never finish. I 'm using ideas from her book right now and its true...plus I spend a lot less time creating center activities. Good luck....it is worth purchasing!
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote