The VENT

No Classroom, No motivation, want to GET OUT

>

GottaGogh

GottaGogh

No Classroom, No motivation, want to GET OUT
Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have become a statistic. I am a first year teacher and I 100% know I want to leave this profession. I started having doubts about teaching my senior year in college as well, but I decided to push through. I didn't know if I wanted a teacher job, but I snagged one anyway. Now I have a job I hate.

I have an hour commute every day. I am a traveling Art teacher...meaning I go between two k-6 Elementary schools and I have no classroom in either school. Half my free time is just getting my supplies ready and set up, since I have no space of my own. It's frustrating teaching without a classroom.

This is also a Title 1 urban school, and I feel like I am not the right type of teacher for these kids. Being a first year teacher Im not the best at having a clear discipline plan to begin with, but these are kids who NEED strong discipline. I'm normally a pretty zen person, but I have to spend everyday yelling I feel like. This is just not what I want to do. I don't want to drive an hour at 6 am everyday just to be called a "stupid ass ho" by an 11 year old.

I feel so fed up and it's only October. I have a nice support staff that I've gotten so many ideas from for ways I can improve my discipline, but to be honest...I just don't want this job. I haven't had an appetite since August, I always have a deep sense of dread whenever I think about work, and my anxiety is getting the best of me. How the hell am I supposed to get through the rest of the year?!

I'm sick of just "pushing though" these difficult feelings I have about teaching...to me it just seems I need to do something else. I WANT to do something else. I can't stand this job or these kids. I feel like I'm trapped for the year, but all I think about is quitting by Christmas.

Any advice as to what I should do? I'm desperate for answers.

elmo33

I would leave...
Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It doesn't sound like a good fit for you- I would leave and say you have a family issue if the commmute.... it's not worth the stress. If you're young without a ton of bills I would waitress or sub until something else comes up ..
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-27-2017, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd leave now. YOu've been dealt an awful job for your first year, but if you were having doubts in college, it's time to go. Teaching is not an easy job - if your heart isn't in it, it must be a nightmare. I hope you can find something else that suits you better.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

We can understand
Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't be upset about leaving this profession. Most of us can relate to your feelings.

It sounds like you've made up your mind and it is for the best that you came to this realization early on. Since there is no shred of doubt on your part, you only have one thing to do: quit and the sooner the better.

So what now? Write up your letter of resignation to HR and your admin. Make it very short, to the point, and with a date.

If you're in a union, have your union rep with you (it's best to disclose to them first of your planned resignation; then tell them you will need them there to ensure the message is clear). Let your principal know that this position is not a good fit for either you or the students. Admin will try and persuade you to stay on as long as possible, but don't let them. Thank them for the opportunity and support (verbally and in writing). Your admin will figure out what to do. They're prepared for scenarios like this.

If you decide to tell your students of your planned departure, emphasize that it was a personal mental health related decision and that they were not the reason for you leaving. The kids are resilient and will bounce back, but if you blame them, that message will remain with them for a very long time.

Good luck to you and your future.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's not for you. That's alright. It's a job.. and I hate to say this but if you tell them you are leaving today.. they will have another teacher in your place tomorrow. You .. gotta do whats right for you.

Dread isn't a way to live life. I usually don't recommend quitting one job until you have another but your happiness is worth something.

There are strategies to try to get your class in order.. but since that's not what your asking for.. that's not what I'm going to focus on.

Start job searching. Put in your 2 weeks and leave.

SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Identify specific problems
Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Talk to the principal and ask for help. Are there other art teachers in your school district? Ask to go observe one that has a good system going. This would be my priority.

Take Names and email the teachers about the kids who are causing problems. If you only have them for a short period of time, it's not worth getting into it with them.

If you can identify when the problems mostly occur, you may be able to change things around to fix it.

Can you ask a friendly teacher if you can borrow a few of her good students for 10 min. when you arrive. Some older students who are well-behaved could probably help you set up and maybe another group can help you clean up. The lunch ladies always have classroom helpers. They rotate it through the classrooms. You could probably ask for something like this. If you took the girl who called you a Ho, you might be able to build a relationship with her so she would want to be respectful.

Make a seating arrangement. Put the big mouths in back and put the best in front. Ignore the bad ones and just keep talking to the good ones during the demonstration.

Good Luck...Come back and tell us what you did.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 09-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You were fortunate to find an art job-rare in my area. Many elementary specials teachers have to operate without a classroom-hard but not unusual. I don't think it's a matter of the job being a bad fit for you. It sounds like you know you're a bad fit for teaching. It's not for everyone. Please leave and let someone who wants the job take your place. Good luck in your search for your place in the working world.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 09-28-2017, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Personally, I wouldn't resign until you have some kind of other job lined up unless you have enough money in your savings to pay your college loan bills (if you have any), car insurance, rent, etc. The last thing you want to do is quit and not have something that is bringing in a steady salary.

In the meantime, see a doctor. Get on some meds or go to counseling form your anxiety. It may help you tremendously.

Can you see if you can at least make it through until a clear cut end of the quarter or semester? I know that you dislike and resent the kids that you are teaching, but those kids are the ones that need someone to care about them the most. Yes, they need discipline, but they also need someone who cares and won't give up on them. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad so please don't take this that way.

Maybe you could sub for the rest of the year in variety of school districts. Maybe you will find that your personality fits better in a suburban or private school?

Whatever you do, good luck. This is never an easy situation.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Hotbox88

Old 09-29-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Get out while you can. Life is too short. Best of luck to you!
Hotbox88 is offline   Reply With Quote
NewGuest

NewGuest

Hugs
Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hey I've posted a similar thread but my situation wasn't as bad as yours. I ended up resigning as the teaching field just wasn't for me, so it was best to leave early, in my opinion, before the students could form a deep relationship. Anyway, a few things:

1. Sounds like my situation when you realize teaching isnt for you. I think its best to get out now because whats the point of lasting through the year? Will you see it getting worse or better?

2. I find it's best not to yell at students even the troublemaking ones. You need to project calmness because the students themselves have a lot of energy. Just ignore the ones misbehaving because those ultimately want attention.

3. I was fortunate enough to be supported by my bf financially, but how are your finances? How long will you be okay for?