Help

Teachers' Lounge

PLEASE please help me!!!

>

NoIDidnt!

NoIDidnt!

PLEASE please help me!!!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 AM

I am a regular but signed out. I'm typing quickly on my phone during my short lunch. Please overlook any typos. Please give me advice!

This morning at school I fell. I was fine but school policy says I must have a drug test in case I need to later file workmans comp. I went to the doctor and peed in the cup. As soon as I left they called me to come back. I had tested positive for amphetamines!!! I SWEAR to you that I have NEVER, EVER done any such thing!!! I also tested positive for opioids which I knew that because I'm on cough med at night that contains codeine.

I'm recovering from pneumonia. I've been very sick for past three weeks. In past three weeks I've taken amoxicillin, a z pack, levaquin, a steroid pack, mucinex dm, cough syrup with codeine, I'm on an inhaler, and I've had two shots. Right now I'm down to the levaquin, one more day of steroids, cough med at night. And every day I take a Zyrtec (not the D) and a beta blocker and fluid pill for my blood pressure. I know that's a lot of med but I was so very sick with pneumonia. It's very rare I take anything except for my BP med and allergy pill.

My principal is being very understanding but I'm worried sick.
What would you do?
Anyone have any experience with this???
Please help!!

SusaninNJ

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM

I have no experience, but I'd contact my union and my doctor asap.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Contact your doctor.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

deep breath
Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Go to your pharmacy and have them print out all RX you have had in last 30-45 days. Call your dr and have him provide documentation of your health issues.

My daughter failed her drug screen for her nursing job she had to get documentation for RX to show she was taking a prescribed drug that caused the postive test.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-03-2017, 12:21 PM

This article may help you identify the culprit

https://m.goodrx.com/blog/these-15-m...on-drug-tests/

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Good Advice
Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 PM

The others have given good advice. I'm glad you are okay.
Get the documentation from doctor(s) and pharmacy of all your prescriptions.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-03-2017, 01:58 PM

My tested positive for meth when he got a new job. The new employer gave him the opportunity to explain, then sent his labwork to another lab that was more specialized. His doctor signed a paper stating that my son was prescribed ______ (over the counter acid reducer, can't remember which one) to allow him to tolerate medicine prescribed for another condition. It probably would be a good idea to contact your doctor to document as much as possible, and your Union for advice.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 10-03-2017, 02:10 PM

What did you doctor say when they called you back? What did you P say? Did either of them give you any direction?

I've been on and off medicines for years.. I know that in the past when I've had drug tests my employer told me to write everything I am on down BEFORE taking the drug test. If they knew what I was on and something came up.. they'd know what medicines I was one and I guess cross reference the list.

Does your school have a union? I'd contact them. Was the fall something you had to write down and document?
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote
NoIDidnt!

NoIDidnt!

More
Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice! I was in a complete panic and needed someone to talk to.

I talked to my doctor who prescribed all this. She was very calming. She really couldn't point to which drug could do it, but she said she really thinks just all these drugs I've been on from the pneumonia has caused this. She knows me. She knows I have high blood pressure as well as episodes of tachycardia which scare me to death. Because of that, I'm very reluctant to take any medicines. She had to persuade me to take the antibiotics and steroids and cough medicine for the pneumonia because I was so afraid it would raise my BP and heart rate. So that just proves (to me anyway) that I would certainly never take amphetamines! I mean, she literally had to insist that I take this med when I was sitting there coughing my head off, trying to breathe.

She suggested I fight this. She wants me to get well completely, get off all mess except my BP med and then retest in about a week.

My principal was awesome. She googled these meds with me. She believes me. I'm going to get a copy of my medical records about the pneumonia, a list of my prescriptions, and turn that in. I'm also going to include print outs from reputable sources that show some of these meds could have caused this. Then I'm going to retest with MY doctor. (I was sent to a different clinic for the drug test.) I'm going to tell them if this comes back positive again, that I want it sent further. I will pay. I just want my name cleared.

Thabks for being there for me today. Any further words of advice are welcome!

CatLove

Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Well as I take Ritalin, I would certainly come up under amphetamines! I would hope that they can pinpoint the test a bit better than that .

CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Dalsmom

Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 PM

I'm thinking that possibly your inhaler could cause a false positive for amphetamines.
Dalsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 PM

Were you taking anything with Sudafed, or it's active ingredient? That come up on the link Teddi posted.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Call the doctor's office and let them know you need your recent records and why. I am not sure but the Musinex DM or steroids may have caused you to test positive for amphetamines. I also agree with notifying your school union rep just to be on the safe side. But if you have your medical records you should be OK.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote