My travel business. Slightly optimistic but also a little discouraged - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

My travel business. Slightly optimistic but also a little discouraged

>

jazzer

My travel business. Slightly optimistic but also a little discouraged
Old 10-31-2017, 04:15 PM

Tonight I was perusing the Facebook page for everyone who attended my New franchisee training class last March. I closed up my music education business at the end of last school year and have been trying to make a go of it.

One of my fellow classmates said she has not sold anything and is looking at options to terminate her three year contract early. This is disheartening considering I also have not sold anything yet. It has been seven months and I know it takes time to build a business.

I am still hopeful as I have four destination seminars scheduled between now and the end of January, attended a big bridal expo and got names of 105 brides, and have a 230 bridal show this Sunday. However, hearing about someone else in my shoes who thinks that she should throw in the towel after only seven months makes me wonder if I am in a worse situation than I want to believe.

I think she was struggling financially because it was her only means of income. That could be the reason for the urgency. My husband and I have inheritance and investments to where he is technically retired and I could retire too if I wanted.

A number of other people in my training class have been quite successful. In order to avoid a yearly fee, one must sell $75,000 for the year in net sales. As of Labor Day weekend, which was almost 6 months in, a couple of guys claimed they had already reached that amount and had a goal of double that for the year. For a while they had a top five sales list every week for the training class and there were always five people on it. I wonder if there is anyone else in the same boat as me and the woman who posted.

In my last call with my coach over a month ago, she was surprised that I don’t even get phone calls let alone sales with the amount of events I have done. She felt I was not teaching the right audiences and should do bridal and business expos. Fair enough. I got some bridal expos. But she also asked me why I wanted to buy the franchise. I felt like she asked that because she wasn’t sure I really wanted it though she a minute earlier wondered why no one called after all the events I did. Oh well. I am not giving up yet. I will just persevere no matter what anyone else is doing.

jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Sales is a tough business
Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 PM

And that's why I wouldn't be a good sales person. It sounds as if you are working hard and working smart, but not seeing any results. I hope things turn around for you soon.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 PM

Are you with Dream Vacations? You don't have to answer here.. just wondering I know a little about it. A friend of mine is involved in it.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 PM

I think sales are an incredibly hard business. I'd be horrible at it.
I think sales in travel are especially hard. Travel is one of the first expenditures that go when times get tough because it is seen as disposable and not everybody even enjoys travel (which seems strange to me but there you go). One other challenging thing, to be honest, is that in today's internet do it yourself society you have to convince people that going to you would be better than doing it themselves.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM

No. I am not with Dream Vacations. I have never heard of that company.

annie_g

Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM

It sure seems like selling travel is a tough business nowadays. Donít most people just book through one of the big sites or do it themselves? Iím curious why you picked this area to buy a franchise in? What does it offer thatís unique? Hope it improves for you!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-31-2017, 05:53 PM

Actually, according to research, 90% of people who travel use travel agents. The company I bought from has been around for 25 years and is growing rapidly in franchisers. They have many who are bringing in over a million dollars a year for them. Agents are good for putting together group trips and luxury vacations. The big trips with a lot of people can be hard for people to manage on their on and they use agents. Definitely a business that is still healthy though some people donít realize that. I did thorough research before deciding to buy the franchise.

I also appear to be in the minority of franchisers who have not sold anything. Most have a decent amount of sales. Though yes, it is a hard thing to do.

annie_g

Old 10-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Well, interesting! I would never have thought that. I guess to me planning is part of the fun. But I hope you get some bookings soon!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, according to research, 90% of people who travel use travel agents.
I had no idea, either! I don't know anyone who has used a travel agent in the past 10 (20?) years. *However,* I don't book trips, just round trip flights here and there. I would imagine a travel agent would be helpful with bigger trips (especially with multi stops). I have a friend who travels to Europe frequently (on trips with stops all over the place) and she always books herself, but it would be easier to have someone else do it

I hope your business picks up soon. That's so frustrating.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 PM

I think the bridal market might be a good choice. It seems all the young couples who have gotten married in my area have used an agent to book their honeymoons. Stick with it and Iíll keep my fingers crossed that you find the right market soon!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 AM

Wow! I had no idea so many people used travel agents. I must know the wrong people, lol, as much like Grace I haven't known anyone to use a travel agent in the last 10 to 20 years.
For me, I'd view a travel agent as someone to use to save time or to best manage the logistics. I usually travel with enough lee-way to plan the trip myself even when I go to multiple places within a trip and enjoy the planning.
We've traveled a fair amount though so maybe if we hadn't I'd have gone with someone else to manage the logistics. Sometimes figuring out the plans can be complicated and stressful and in different circumstances it might be worth it to pay someone else.
It certainly sounds like you're doing the right things, that others are successful with the company and that it ought to pay off soon. I will hope for the best!!
And again, it takes a certain personality to do these sorts of jobs---whether it's running a travel agency or selling homes or anything of the like. It isn't easy.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote