Help

Substitute Teachers

Admin hate early subs

>

subasaurus

Admin hate early subs
Old 09-18-2019, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone else try to arrive to schools a half-hour before the job is scheduled?

I always do when it's a school I've never subbed at, just to be on the safe side. I like to learn rules and routines, see the lesson plans, get situated, etc...

Well, I did exactly that today, and was told by admin I was too early and shouldn't be in the building yet. (Principal let me in.)

Anyone else experience this kind of awkward situation? Some admin hate us early arrivers.

Subbing is the only job I can think of where people frown upon punctuality.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only equivalent is at one school I work at the secretary is supposed to be there at 7:45 but never is. School starts at 8:10. If she is not there I lose precious time reading the lesson plans. However, that is the only school where I know where the keys are, so I take them myself! Roll sheets are accessible in a notebook. Some schools already have the keys and roll sheets laid out, but if not, yes I stand and wait, but it's not usually for very long.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

District wide elementary school offices open at 7:30. Thatís when I arrive. I donít need/want the surprise of early yard duty at 7:50. Most assignments have a start time of 7:50. I need time to read the plan, locate the emergency backpack etc. before the day begins. Most office managers are annoyed by my early arrival. Whatever.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's crazy when you think about it... Our job performance depends heavily on secretaries showing up on time. If they arrive late, we're less prepared for our morning than we could be. Nothing worse than having to "wing it" for the morning due to lack of time to prepare.

What really drives me batty is when there aren't any lesson plans there.

subasaurus

@tapdance
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If they give us attitude for arriving early...

Imagine the attitude we'd receive if we showed up a half hour late?

Lol, my goodness, we'd be banned for life.

mooba1

Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I routinely arrive 30 mins before the kids are allowed in the classrooms, b/c it allows me time to deep read the lesson plan for the first half of the day, pull up needed websites, and take a last minute restroom break. Sometimes I have to go pick up the kids from the gym, which cuts 5 minutes from that morning prep time.

One school I’d never been to before wouldn’t let me in until the kids were walking into the classrooms. That in itself was annoying, but the added bonus was that the office staff was in the office, and had a clear view of me through the window, not to mention they could also see me on camera and hear me ringing the buzzer. I guess they thought I wouldn’t see them, since they had the lights off. One of the women finally told me via the speaker that “the office doesn’t open until 7:30”, even though I’d already told them I was a sub.

I had one more job already booked at that school, so on that day, I walked around until I saw where the kids were being dropped off to go to the cafeteria for breakfast, or to the gym. I simply walked in that door, flashed my badge, and said, “I’m here to sub, and I’m going to the office to sign in. Thank you”. The teacher on duty didn’t seem to have a problem with it, but then I didn’t break my stride on the way to the office. After that day, I put that school in my rear view mirror, because I didn’t like being ignored by the office staff. No one puts Baby in the corner. Lol!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Sometimes
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Honestly, I prefer to be present at any job 45 minutes before the students walk in the classroom, however, that does not work at every school. I am always there at least 30 minutes before the students walk in the classroom and that does not seem to be a problem at any of my schools.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sometimes I email the teacher and ask if they can email lesson plans so I can review ahead of time. I only do this for a teacher I have never subbed for. Everyone seems to appreciate my seriousness about subbing the class.
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At our annual sub meeting last year before the start of the school year, our sub coordinator told us that one of the office managers complained that subs arrive too early.

I knew she was talking about me, since I arrive at least 45 minutes before the students are to be in the room when I know the office manager will be early and get me ready.

Fortunately, our coordinator informed us that she was on our side, and did not validate this complaint.
Office managers get inundated with phone calls and parent questions before they even sit down, so I guess having us there early is added stress to them, especially when the computer is slow.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@sirsub
Old 09-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

"Our sub coordinator told us that one of the office managers complained that subs arrive too early."

How silly of them.

We're literally penalized for being punctual.

Many of us want to be prepared for what we have to teach, not "wing it."

I see teachers arriving early all the time. Amazing some schools don't want their subs to be prepared.

TheMercenary

Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my two main schools, they open the school doors when the busses begin to arrive. If subs arrive before that, we have to phone the office from the front door to be let in. Secretaries say they're supposed to be doing "other work" until the kids start to arrive. The morning is always pretty unmanageable if I haven't arrived early to read plans, get computer going, and (too often), etc.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Anyone else experience this kind of awkward situation? Some admin hate us early arrivers.

Subbing is the only job I can think of where people frown upon punctuality.
I always arrive at least 30 minutes early and am often thanked for being early.

But there is the occasional school where the office admin tends to arrive late or won't open the gate/office door till the last minute.

In that case, I go to the outside cafeteria door, flash my badge, and am welcomed in by food service staff (who are always on site early). I can usually get into the office (via the "staff" door) and get the help I need (from the principal or a teacher) once I'm inside the school buildings.

The districts I've worked for ask subs to arrive 30 min early. So yes, it's really frustrating when we make the effort to arrive early but are not able to get in and get prepped!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-22-2019 at 02:39 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Long ago, when I first started subbing, I arrived at an assignment :45 minutes early as I knew the teacher would be out for the week and had mentioned to me that she might not have time making copies of needed papers. I wanted to see how much was done and what I needed to do. Principal made me site in the office until 8:15 - normal sub report time.

I currently sub in a district that has a 5-6 middle school. If I go early to this building I am given clerical work (generally making copies) to do until the normal sub report time of 8:00 am. My cousin-in-law also subs in this district/school and has experienced the same thing. We don't let on that we know each other and often compare notes on assignments in this district.

Now I sit in my car until 7:55 before starting the walk from the "sub section" of the parking lot (farthest from the front door, don't dare park in the visitor's section).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

I have
Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I went in early for the exact same reasons, a couple of times. I ended up sitting outside, freezing my butt off. Someone goes in (doesn't unlock the door), and acts like they don't see me sitting there.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've had that happen so many times I've lost count.

It's like, you DO see me standing here in the dead of winter, at 7am, right?

Heck, even if it's springtime I'd wonder why they'd ignore someone who looks dressed professionally with their lunch in tow.

NJSubteacher

Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Only had this problem once at an elementary school I rarely sub at. I showed up about 30 min early and secretary gave me an attitude telling me I am too early and not to come this early again. However the teacher I was covering for was already in her room and was very glad I came early so she can explain the plans to me. I made sure to actually tell the secretary before I left that the teacher I was in for appreciated me being early! Had to rub it in. I decided not to return to that school since.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote