Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Christmas cards, yes or no?

>

mrteacherguy

Christmas cards, yes or no?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught middle school (6th, 7th, and now 8th), for the last 7 years. Out of that, I think 4 or 5 times I have take the time to handwrite brief notes on Christmas cards and stick a mini candy cane with each one into envelopes for each of my 115 to 130 students.

This year is the worst year of my career, and I can honestly say that as a whole I don't like (I might even go so far as to say that I hate) the students I have this year.

I'm debating about doing the Christmas cards again. Whether or not all of the students appreciate them, I know that some do, and it makes me feel good to do it. However, my wife feels like this group of students don't deserve it, and that it's just that much more time and effort (and money) that I'm putting towards them, when there's been almost no respect shown to me this year.

Do I go with my gut (heart?) and do the Christmas cards for my students this year, or do I go with what my wife says and not put the time and money into it?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Maybe
Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe this group is the bunch that needs the gesture the most.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Just my thoughts
Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

(24 years middle school) - Unless you intend to write a nice thoughtful note to each student I would not take the time for this. I think you will end up resenting the time and money when, based on how you feel already plus how they behave, most simply show no sincere expression of gratitude for your thoughtfulness.

Perhaps you can spend your time coming up with a fun holiday activity instead or something simple as a gift. Several years I gave the students a little bag of seeds that I put together. I bought a mixed bag of seeds and one of those little tiny plastic bags. Added a few different labels about planting the seeds of Christmas trees. Some will grow the tree and others will pitch the seeds, but I also told them to at least pitch the seeds outside and maybe they will grow. (And you will feel all the better for helping to plant some seeds, both as trees and as curiosity in students.)

Link below:

You can get a big bag here: https://www.amazon.com/Selling-Spruc...95N1PS3JQ3MQGV
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote