Help

The VENT

too bad

>

Vet3Teacher

too bad
Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We were chatting away in the teacher's lounge last week and something came up about teacher burn out. Well, we know a teacher in the district who is quitting not because of burn out but because of feeling like she's not supported and that teaching is now what she expected.

I'm actually surprised because this person is a leader in her school, a facilitator in meetings and is very tech savvy.

She put in her resignation already and will be done at the end of the school year.

I feel so bad! Our principal has been talking to us about teacher burnout and self care. We actually will be doing a book study on how to keep from wanting to quit.

I couldn't quit if I wanted to. I support myself and 2 teenagers with the rising costs of insurance (dang speeding tickets: not me ...them) and living.

Thoughts? Have you ever felt the way this teacher has? We will call her Jane.

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I would
Old 01-14-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

love to know what book you are reading on this subject for your book study.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-14-2020, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in the last five years, we had one teacher leave because of teacher burnout. She was in her 3rd or 4th year. We have had several teachers (3, I think) who were able to retire. They were not ready to leave teaching but were tired of what teaching has become - I call that teacher burn out.

Read all the books you want, it isn't going to help unless administration can lessen all the mundane and ridiculous demands on teachers and replace them with policies that allow teachers to use creativity as they see fit, work with students on developmentally appropriate skills, control behaviors, and limit the requirements to what actually can fit into a school day.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Fortunately, I have been in school districts that have been pretty supportive for teachers. I think a lot of burnout is how you handle stress. Some people are able to find ways to work within the school day, not take work home on the weekends, and stay under the radar (meaning do what your district wants you to do while still maintaining your creativity in your classroom). After being on PT for many years, I've seen that, unfortunately, many teachers are not in districts where their expertise is valued and supported. All that being said, I do feel somewhat burnt out because of the way students behave nowadays. Respect and compliance have become 'optional', and I spend way too much of my days dealing with behavior.
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 01-14-2020, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught for 42 years in two different school districts in two different states. Thankfully, for the majority of my career, I never felt that way. The last 5, I definitely did.

The politicians in our state changed the evaluation system an eliminated true tenure, creating a layer of stress, even for good teachers. My long-term principal whom I felt respected and truly knew her staff, became terminally ill, and the new hire was a much younger woman who definitely played favorites. I felt marginalized by her, not valued as a professional and that was stressful and sad.

The state implemented a premium sharing law for healthcare that superceded what the districts negotiated for healthcare. This resulted in public employees, including teachers and support staff, earning significantly less than their negotiated salary each year.

Requirements, including data collection and standardized testing, a new standards-based report card and curriculum changes that seemed to be constant resulted in the loss of personal time. The principal would preach the importance of taking time for yourself and family, but the reality was just to stay above water, it was taking hours, leaving very little left.

My state now is looking at legislation called Path to Progress, where if it comes to past, I expect to see more teachers leaving and/or not entering the profession. I feel so fortunate to have taught at a kinder, gentler time for the most part, and that I had the option to retire and not suffer too much financially. It has been tight because I am waiting till July to collect my full social security, but I am making it work.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Vet3Teacher...please share the title
Old 01-14-2020, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Vet3Teacher....please share the title of the book you are going to read. I'd love to take a look at it. Thank you!
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got out of teaching quite quickly already and I hope I never have to go back!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh my, here do all this extra work that is on top of your regular work. We promise it will help you lighten your load so you can function better.

Who thinks up this stuff?
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Me!
Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught for 30 years. The last several were very stressful. I finally needed to be DONE in 2017. Not looking back.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-14-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Reading and discussing a book (ie more work) won't help. Reducing the meaningless bull#### administrative workload that has come to be the main part of teaching will help. Let teachers TEACH.

Or, if you must read a book, make it "Teacher" by Gabbie Stroud. It's an Australian book by an Australian teacher, but I think a lot of it would resonate with people here as well. It's on both Amazon and Audible.

Or "The Life Breakers" by Sandy Stalenberg, about teacher bullying (ie bullying OF teachers, not BY teachers). On Amazon, not sure about Audible.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I taught for 30 years, and thank goodness burnout and those 30 years dovetailed. Took some time to regroup, then got persuaded to sub, which Iíve been doing for nearly 10 years. This will be my last year, as Iím feeling the same way I did my last year of teaching. So tired of all the crap. I cannot imagine just starting out my career with the way things are now.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Read all the books you want, it isn't going to help unless administration can lessen all the mundane and ridiculous demands on teachers and replace them with policies that allow teachers to use creativity as they see fit, work with students on developmentally appropriate skills, control behaviors, and limit the requirements to what actually can fit into a school day.

Can I get an amen?!?
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Countingdown

Not burnout
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We were discussing teacher burnout the other day. My teaching partner found a great article. It stated that itís not burnout. Itís demoralization. Burnout implies that the teacher is at fault. The person gave and just emptied their reserves. Demoralization is when teachers know what is being asked of them really isnít going to improve education and in many instances is hurtful to students. Teachers speak up about these things and their opinions are pushed aside. The article discusses the constant evaluations and the constant statements of more teacher training is needed. It implies that teachers donít know how to do their jobs. A college degree, years experience, and in many instances a masterís degree and we are told we donít know how to do our jobs. Itís demoralizing. After reading the article, I refuse to call it burnout. As long as the people overseeing education donít realize that they are hurting the very institution they are trying to fix, I refuse to blame myself and feel guilty because I just didnít have enough to give.
Countingdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was actually just thinking about this today. The requirements in my school/district have become pretty insane. And really my P has protected us from some of the more busywork type stuff. The thing is that what we're doing is working. A lot of what P says really does make sense, it just takes A LOT of time. We've been a high poverty/high performing school for a few years now.

So I can see that it's really hard to say- well let's just stop doing this stuff because the teachers are burnt out. But- there has to be a line somewhere. I wonder if people would feel differently if the salary were very high/more commensurate with the work load? The other factor in my area is that salary doesn't match COL, especially for housing. I know at least a couple of our veteran teachers have expressed that they are definitely out at the end of this year (of course, we'll see if they follow through). A lot of our teachers are young/new. I'll be interested to see how many stay. I wonder if they simply don't know any better/different.

I will say, I would be LIVID if I were told to read a book (and spend time discussing it) that was going to tell me how to avoid burnout. We're going to do more work to figure out how to not be so stressed by the amount of work? This sounds like it's from The Onion. Beatings will continue until the morale improves?
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

kahluablast said

Quote:
They were not ready to leave teaching but were tired of what teaching has become - I call that teacher burn out.
I retired early precisely because of this. I just got really tired of not being supported by admin, disrespectful students and parents, and so many demands with no more time or money to fulfill them. I'm lucky I could afford to retire. I really love teaching. If I could just teach with none of the other demands, I'd do it.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 01-15-2020, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Teacherprek6- AMEN!

I agree with the other posts. As others have stated I was not being supported or encouraged. I was teaching for about 15 years and my P suddenly died. Our vice principal was thrust into the new role which we all thought was going to be great. We were so wrong. Our new P lacked leadership skills and most importantly how to communicate with others. My opinions during committee meetings were dismissed and suggestions during faculty meetings were not valued. A chosen few were clearly the favorite ones. I was ready to quit.
Fortunately, DHís job required us to move. I took a semester off the following year in my new district and found a loving, caring school with a encouraging P. I was able to retire with 30+ years.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-15-2020, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I saw this and it seemed to fit here:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 01-15-2020, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I will say, I would be LIVID if I were told to read a book (and spend time discussing it) that was going to tell me how to avoid burnout. We're going to do more work to figure out how to not be so stressed by the amount of work? This sounds like it's from The Onion. Beatings will continue until the morale improves?
P is suuuupppperrr inconsistent. She has told us many times that we might be doing a book study. She is about self care, but I think the book is called 180 Days of Self Care for Educators.

I also think it comes down a lot of testing. We are constantly testing. It's almost like teaching to the test, instead of teaching to succeed.

TchrFvr

I just looked it up on Amazon...
Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

...and while I agree that the ideas (some of them, anyway) might be good for anyone, not just teachers, doing it as an "assignment" given by admin means just another bunch of work that we don't have time for when we have all the other work to do - mandates, IEPs and IEP meetings, testing, and, oh, by the way, actually teaching (lesson plans, classroom teaching, grading, recording, etc.) etc...
When will it all stop? Or WILL it all stop? Will they ever let teachers just teach again?
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

exactly! We have so much on our plates. I don't see her looking into it too much. We know that this will be too much. But I'm all about spending more time on myself!!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I left my old district and moved to a new district and I have to say that it's amazing. It's not perfect, but it's amazing. I'm treated with respect, phone calls to downtown are answered or returned promptly, my P is present and amazing, the other teachers are kind and warm and the kids, though not perfect, don't throw things at me, don't curse, don't hit me and don't run the building.

I also left the classroom so while I'm busy I don't feel overwhelmed.

I agree with Zia, it's not burnout, it's exhaustion from being treated like crap. And I'm still fighting with my old district over my insurance.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote