The VENT

504 Plans

>

learn

504 Plans
Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
What can I possibly write to a parent whom is upset their child did not pass the Gifted screening and now wants to have her child be on a 504 plan. Yes I know it doesn't make sense, she is crazy.

How and what can I possibly write her letting her know professionally that I don't see any need for a 504 plan for her child.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

504 reply
Old 01-28-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, read this:
The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.

So, child doesn’t have a disability so no 504.

I would tell parent something along the lines of

“I understand you are disappointed Child Q did not qualify for Gate. Q is bright and will be highly successful in his/her schooling.

To qualify for a 504, Q must have a disability identified under the law. In my professional experience, Q would not qualify for said 504.”
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You don’t. Forward it directly to the AP or counselor, whoever is in charge of 504 and take your guidance from them. Once a parent makes a request like that it needs to be looked at from a committee standpoint. Don’t say anything to the parent until you talk to the person in charge of 504.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-28-2020, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the pp. Let the person who is in charge of 504s handle it. That way mom knows her request was at least heard and passed on to the appropriate person.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-28-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yup. Especially, if she put it in writing. Here we have 10 days to honor a parental request for evaluation.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

well the counselor...
Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is taking the easy way out and asked me to write her back putting it on me. However, the counselor and myself spoke to our Assistant principal and she somehow agreed for me to write her back, but not without them both looking at the response from me first. I hope this clarifies or I've written it clearly...

So again, what should I write this mom back?

jov

Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I couldn't put this on the counselor's or administrator's plate, then I would follow Keltikmom's suggestion.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-28-2020, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Call her. No way would I put it in writing.

Ask mom her concerns and what makes her want the 504 and then talk to her about things you are doing. Explain kids need an educational need to get a 504 plan.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I so agree with this:
Quote:
You don’t. Forward it directly to the AP or counselor, whoever is in charge of 504 and take your guidance from them. Once a parent makes a request like that it needs to be looked at from a committee standpoint. Don’t say anything to the parent until you talk to the person in charge of 504.
Since you say the counselor wants to put it back on your plate, I think the counselor is making a risky request-- especially if mom put that request in writing (via email). I would tread carefully with a paper trail. Ideally, you'd talk in person, as TexTeacher mentioned. But since the AP and counselor want an email, I would say this:

I would in no way, shape, or form put something in writing indicating you don't think said child would qualify for a 504. That is not a decision one teacher gets to make for a child. It is a 504 team decision. I would list very briefly what the requirements for a 504 plan are in an email (with a direct quote and link to the district info, if at all possible) to provide information to mother about what she is requesting. Brief, as in "In order to qualify for a 504 plan, Child needs to have a suspected or identified disability, and the need for classroom accommodations LINK TO DISTRICT PROCESS" I would also give her the contact information if she wishes to pursue evaluation.

You want to avoid any semblance of predetermining eligibility for a 504 plan. If mom knows her stuff (or reads up on her rights), she could go to town if she thinks you have prevented her child from an evaluation for a service without going through the process.

I'm sorry you've been put in this position. That bites.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Nope. Not happening. I would E-mail your counselor and CC both the AP and the P. Make them put it in writing.

Make sure you include your timeline. My state gives us 10 days. To be clear it doesn’t mean the child will get a 504 or an IEP, but they have to be evaluated with in 10 days of a written parental request.

Ignoring this request can get everyone in hot water, and you’re being set up to take the fall.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

My school
Old 01-29-2020, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Supposedly this mom has been rejected the 504 since last year for her kid...they all know she is crazy parents. Thank you for advice

hikinghiker

At my old school
Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We had to take that request and start action on it, even if it was ridiculous. If a parent asked me, I would immediately forward it to the school counselor and she would either advise me on what to do/say or would take it over herself.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 01-29-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Pass the request to the special education coordinator (whoever runs your IEP meetings). A 504 plan requires a disability documented by a therapist, counselor, developmental pediatrician, pediatrician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other professional. You can't actually decide if he needs one or not, so let the person who does that as a role convey that information.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote