Retired Teachers

Being productive- vicariously...

>

EdfromBama

Being productive- vicariously...
Old 02-25-2020, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
If you all were here- that might be a bit difficult to explain since here is my bedroom/office at home- you'd hear the sound of what might appear at first the noise of a mini-cement mixer. Kind of rattly and snappy.
that's the sound of the egg turner in our egg incubator which always occupies one of my chest of drawer tops when we're hatching eggs.
Most of you know that we live somewhat rural, and we have our own laying hens out back. Every year or so we hatch out another dozen pullets to keep the flock in good production- older hens don't lay as well as younger ones.
This year's batch of eggs have been in the incubator for a couple of weeks, and so they're due to hatch around the first week of March- if everything goes right. These things are not a sure bet. Sometimes the magic just doesn't work.
So around the first week of March, I should start hearing the peeps and chirps of babies- they do make noise even before they hatch, by the way- and with any luck, we'll have a batch of fuzzy little birds running around and taking up lots of time and attention for a while.
We'll see.
So even though I didn't have much to do with it, we're being productive right now.

good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a great post, Ed, thanks. I love how all of us have such different lives—and I love the glimpses. I can almost see those future chicks.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Chicks
Old 02-25-2020, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Chick hatching was one of my favorite science activities. Let us know how it all goes.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That brings back memories of when I was teaching first and second grade in a little rural school and was a young teacher. I had somehow acquired an incubator and we hatched eggs. It was so exciting and a great learning experience for both the students and myself! Since most of my students were farm kids we had no problem finding homes for the chicks. And yes, we had some not make it or were deformed. Then there was the lesson on “pecking order” . Those little chicks were really brutal to the deformed chicks. Thanks for bringing back memories of the good old days of teaching!

And we didn’t have a fancy incubator— we had to turn the eggs ourselves at regular intervals
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So glad to hear from you Ed....and thanks for the glimpse into your life these days. As Amiga said, we all have such different lives....but happy lives now that we're retired. Must be exciting to start hearing all those peeps....hope it's a banner year for you!

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

hatching
Old 02-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your hatching chicks brought back a memory. One year the kindergartners incubated chicks and one made it alive. But it had a short life. The principal graciously presided over the chick's 'funeral' on the edge of the playground. A few years later our assistant principal was killed in a car crash. One of the kids remembering the chick's funeral spread the word Mrs. T, the AP, was going to be buried on the playground beside their beloved kindergarten chick. I got tasked with correcting her precious misinformation.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Love It, Ed!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my school, the kindergarteners hatch chicks, ducklings, and baby quail. The chilKs and ducklings go to local farms, and the quail go to the secretary, whose family has many acres of land and a forest.

Those chicks, ducklings, and baby quail are so cute!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: hatching up some trouble
Old 03-02-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good afternoon to all-
Well, we are in the chick business again. We have three hatched and rattling around so far with several more eggs pipped and starting to come forth with little wet chickens.
Chicks in an incubator make a surprising amount of noise. Peep-peep-peep and they rattle around the other eggs. so the ones that are out and running around will go to the bin with heat and food and water tomorrow and the late ones will arrive as they please.
I do hope we get a lot more pullets than young roosters. I don't mind dealing with the excess young roosters- and they cook up so well! But I'd rather just add to the layer flock. It's much easier.

good evening to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote