Corona school closure + substitute teacher = supreme disrespect - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Corona school closure + substitute teacher = supreme disrespect

>

Aillya

Corona school closure + substitute teacher = supreme disrespect
Old 03-13-2020, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am sort of at a boiling point right now and I need to get a lot of #### off my chest. I feel like I should preface this by noting that I have nothing against individual teachers and staff members, but it's going to come across like I hate everyone, and for that, I'm just sorry in advance. If you don't feel mentally prepared to read something rather scathing, maybe hit the back button!

Okay. Hi. Hello. I substitute teach for a living. Whenever you're sick and need someone to cover your class, I'm there making sure your students are safe, protected, and kept on task so you can deal with what you have to deal with and come back without being too far behind. I enjoy my job and I take pride in doing it well. I'm requested often, and even though the higher demand for my services doesn't translate to higher pay than anyone else, I still take pride in doing a good job.

Today, my county, despite having no cases of corona, just decided to close all of its schools for three weeks. Teachers were alerted via email as soon as the news came out; substitutes were, of course, left in the dark. Apparently the school had been planning for something like this all week, which was why the work for this week had been dry as hell, but the sub coordinator couldn't even send out a mass email with a heads up or anything. I knew that there was a possibility of it from the news, but until today, nobody had even hinted to me that we would close. I found out today on my way out of the payroll department, from someone who happened to mention it to me in passing.

That was how I found out that the next three weeks of jobs I had lined up (roughly 2,200 dollars, money I had budgeted, money I was counting on to be there) were canceled. No notice. No compensation. No email. No phone call. No apology. Nothing.

Then. Then. As I'm wondering how I'm going to cover my ####ing bills at this rate, I have to hear teachers in the office down the hall complaining about having to set up a google classroom curriculum. "Oh man, I have to do my (high school) lessons online now" Like. Are you ####ing kidding me? You're still being paid. You're being paid. To come to an empty classroom. And teach online with no distractions. And you're complaining in the same room as someone who just lost a month's pay and has no compensation for it.

I'm furious. I've cooled down a lot since then, but I'm still furious. They arranged this whole setup, a way to do distance learning, for weeks prior. They held meetings talking about how they'd still get paid while the schools were shut down. They had union meetings where they discussed how it would all be handled, and they found a way to keep everyone getting paid. The teachers still get paid. The office staff still get paid. The principal still gets paid. The administrators still get paid. Even the ####ing attendance secretary, who's keeping attendance for NOBODY, still gets to come in and keep getting paid. But not the subs. Nobody ever wants to help out the subs. We're there for you all ####ing year, every time you get sick or have some last minute emergency, teaching YOUR kids in YOUR classroom for ####ing minimum wage on an annual scale and nobody ever has our backs. Nobody ever raises a hand at these meetings and goes "what about compensating our substitutes?" NOPE. Never. Throw them to the wolves.

Every time.

Every ####ing time.

Zero compensation. Not even a ####ing apology. Not even a ####ing email.

And then I have to hear these people who already make 6 times my salary in the office complaining about still being paid to show up to an empty room and basically do online courses. And then to top it off, the CDC releases a statement saying that 2-3 weeks off doesn't even curb the virus (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ol-closure.pdf). We didn't even have a case in this county [edit: actually we did, I was wrong] and they're shutting it all down, for no verifiable reason, and the only people getting screwed are the independent contractors so nobody gives a ####.

If I have to hear "you're just like a real teacher" from anyone else in this district ever again, I am going to ####ing snap. I go to work and teach as much as I can. I always hear that empty ####ing compliment. "You're just like a full time teacher!" But it doesn't translate to full time teacher pay. It doesn't translate to full time teacher benefits. And it doesn't translate to basic ####ing human respect. #### this profession. The next time you wonder why there are no subs, THIS IS WHY. THIS IS WHY.

I'm done. I am ####ing done.

Last edited by Aillya; 03-13-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

I get it!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My daughter is in the very same boat as you. She isn't subbing for just "something to do." She needs the money. I wish there were some type of
compensation for the substitutes.

((hugs))
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-13-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You should have been notified, I agree. But you are not a certified teacher with a contract, so you don't get the same benefits. I subbed while going to school to become a certified teacher many years ago. So I do feel your pain. But since you are not guaranteed any jobs at all, I'm not seeing why you would feel you deserve compensation. Teachers still have to plan, prep, and grade lessons and do all the other things they normally do.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
But since you are not guaranteed any jobs at all, I'm not seeing why you would feel you deserve compensation.
I had a month's worth of work already scheduled. I declined on other things so I could be available specifically for that work, only to have all of it evaporate with 0 notice. I know there's no obligation for the school district to cover this. I get that. One hundred percent. But on the other hand -- If I can't make my rent and pay my bills, then I have to get a different job or move somewhere else, or both. Then when this overblown panic ends and you need people to cover your sick days again, there's nobody to do it. I'm not the only one in this boat.

It's proactive to take care of your supply staff. It's proactive, it's an investment, and it's the right thing to do from a basic moral standpoint. I know they won't do it though. And that's precisely why I'm changing careers during these three weeks.

annie_g

Old 03-13-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do agree that many school districts will lose subs due to this. Why not get certified and get a full time teaching position? Then you will have the stability. There is a teacher shortage. Or even a long term sub position. I'm not sure what your qualifications are.

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
My daughter is in the very same boat as you. She isn't subbing for just "something to do." She needs the money. I wish there were some type of
compensation for the substitutes.

I hope your daughter has something saved or can lean on you until it's over. Sincerely, best of luck to you both. Ty for the kind words.

sonoma

Old 03-13-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You should have at least been told that closing was a possibility. I fear that many people will not be able to pay their bills because of so many closings.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I do agree that many school districts will lose subs due to this. Why not get certified and get a full time teaching position? Then you will have the stability. There is a teacher shortage. Or even a long term sub position. I'm not sure what your qualifications are.

Because getting accredited costs money that I do not have. Subs out here make like 20k a year. Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is 2,500 a month. I split with a roommate and barely make ends meet. But every month I get people asking me why I don't just get credentialed. You'll have to pardon me, this conversation is actually making me even more frustrated than when I started. It's not you, it's just the situation is reminding me of how poorly the system is designed. Ideally subbing would have a path to teaching, but it does not. I would have to either take (expensive) online classes or cut down on my work time significantly to take day classes, or find some rare night classes. Either way I'd still have to pay, and I don't have the funds for that. Then when that's over, you're expected to be a teacher's aide or something for a year, and since that schedule directly coincides with substitute teaching, I guess I'd just be expected to quit my job to come and sit in someone's room for free. It's not feasible. None of it is feasible. Especially not anymore, when I just had a month's pay slashed with no notice.

annie_g

Old 03-13-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, I don't mean this meanly at all, but teachers do have to have at least a BA (and many have a MA), pass certification tests, and jump through a lot of hoops. Then you have to get hired, sign a contract, be constantly evaluated, and do all the things teachers have to do. And they will still be teaching, just in a different way. That is why they are still getting paid. You clearly recognize the steps needed to get there. In many places, subs don't even have a college degree. I do feel bad for you, but I don't really think the school district should be expected to pay subs for days not worked. I hope you will have success finding another job. It will be a tough time to get hired right now, I would think.

annie_g

Old 03-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have you looked into financial aid like Pell Grants? Sounds like you might qualify if you really would like to back to school.

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In my state, being a sub requires a Bachelor's degree as well. It also requires you to pass certification tests. It isn't like some states where they just take people off the street. But the pay is still abysmal anyway. I know you don't mean it in a mean way, I'm just not in a good mental state at the moment, so I'm going to back off for a bit. Thank you for your kind words, and have a good afternoon.

annie_g

Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse, but it seems like you do like teaching. If you have a BA, many states have alternate post bac routes to getting certified. Maybe something to check into?
ChessandChec

ChessandChec

big picture
Old 03-13-2020, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

annie, look at the bigger picture. there's a significant proportion of the american population that's treated as largely disposable by employers. we still have bills to pay. the reminder that we are disposable is not a good feeling. and "why don't you just blah blah blah?" comments are incredibly short-sighted, willfully ignorant and lacking in compassion.

fwiw, i'm working on my master's right now. but that doesn't pay the bills, and the district couldn't care less that the income that feeds my kids (who will now eat two more meals a day at home) just evaporated. it's very easy for you and other teachers to shrug, because it's not your problem. i get that.

that doesn't mean it's not a problem for us, or that we're stupid for having taken the work we could find to feed our families!

Tiamat

Old 03-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I do feel bad for you, but I don't really think the school district should be expected to pay subs for days not worked.
I work in an area where a casual teacher (what you call a sub) has to be a fully qualified teacher. They have the same, or better sometimes, qualifications and certification and requirements as I do. And I work in an area where there is a teacher shortage and there are NO casual teachers. We have one L.O.L. (little old lady) who will come in sometimes but her time for recertification is nearly here and she won't do it- she's 70 and I don't blame her. So she'll retire and instead of her once a fortnight we will really have nobody.

My K-6 school is small - only five classes - and if one teacher is away their class is split to the other four. You get an extra 7 or so kids in your room. If two teachers are away (and we have two with ongoing health issues, plus I had cancer last year) you get 14 or 15 extras. If three are away (it happened once) the two remaining throw their hands in the air and put a movie on in the hall. You can't split 95 kids between two adults and stay sane.

And the reason there are no casuals? They aren't valued by the system. If we end up closing down for a period, any casuals that exist in this state (not this town because there aren't any) will be in the same boat as Aillya. And it's wrong. Either they are valued employees (individual schools value them, but we don't control the pay cheque) or they aren't (and head office is firm on they aren't). It sucks and it's wrong and I'm so sorry you're in this position Aillya.

We need a better system for this. We really do.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 03-13-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Your frustration and fear are certainly justified. It seems the people who are going to be impacted the most are the hourly wage earners, part time employees, and those without benefits. It is scary. These are the people who donít have a safety net of savings, live paycheck to paycheck, and canít afford to stock up on essentials for future use.

I certainly hope that communities are mindful of those less fortunate and help our neighbors to get through difficult times.

Iím still reeling from the way in which the closures are going to effect me, personally. Thank you for the reminder that fellow educators are going to need our assistance!

chelseeuh

I understand
Old 03-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes, the system is frustrating. I think all states require a bachelor's degree (or more) to be a certified teacher. I went to college right out of high school and I get frustrated thinking about how I had to spend so much money on a degree to be a teacher, a job I love but has a cap on how much I can ever earn. I took out student loans so I could get the degree and I'm still paying on them, 14 years later. I decided to have a family very young and life really just feels like one big payment sometimes.
chelseeuh is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-13-2020, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That's got to be really frustrating, and scary. The district really should have notified their subs about the cancellations as well. I hope you're able to find something to get you through these tough times (financially and emotionally) a little easier!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would be pissed if I were in your shoes. To have the expectation of work and then have it taken away. Not that anyone is truly at fault - this is something that has taken everyone by surprise. But I definitely understand where you are coming from.

I do hope that someday you are able to find a way to get your credential. You sound like you would be a dedicated and passionate teacher. There is going to be a teacher shortage sometime soon, and maybe then some alternate paths will open up or maybe some grants will be available.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 03-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it's awful that you're suddenly out a month's pay. I'm so sorry. I could not afford that either and I can see how it would make you feel unappreciated. I know a lot of other people in our community will soon be hurting like you -- not everyone is salaried and a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. These closures are going to be rough.

Does your union include subs? I know our union does and they have been trying to get more subs to join. They can't advocate for you unless you're a member. I know the union costs money, but it's worth it in the end if you get better pay and more stability.

I also think districts should just hire a pool of subs who are regular employees with benefits. We have such difficulty finding people - maybe we'd get more people if the job was more stable.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fed Up in OK

Fed Up in OK

There is NO teacher shortage.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am in Oklahoma, where there is a reported teacher shortage! I taught for two years, and I lost my job to politics. I am not from some podunk town and I am brighter than the average teacher candidate, so I can't land a teaching job. Due to the walk-out two years, business leaders HATE teachers, so trying to land a job outside of education is tough!

Side note: I got beaten out by a teacher, who has been fired FIVE times mid-year, in the last 10 years.

Fractured

Old 03-13-2020, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Anyone saying we don’t deserve pay is flat out wrong. The state is mandating this closing, therefore I should be compensated by the state or the school district. This is my only job. I have a MAT. I am paying out of pocket to renew my license. There are only teacher shortages in states that pay 30k and don’t have unions and schools are horrible. No one is going to be hiring right now. Some schools near me are closing for six weeks. Guess what, my rent is still going to be due at the end of the month.

I am in a union and the sub office already sent out a letter saying they will not pay us. The union better ####ing fight for us. We also can’t file unemployment because of our job status. School districts can’t keep ####ing over subs.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I think the National State of Emergency should qualify you for some financial help. Make sure you copy off whatever documentation you have for the jobs you would have had so that you have it. I know that our state declared a state of emergency and that is one of the things they are saying that should help with.

I don't know where you go to get it, but I am sure there is info somewhere.

Personally, I think until all states find themselves with a severe lack of subs, that this will stay this way. I don't think subbing is a "career" in most places. Here only people who have been stay at home moms and either need something to do when their kids go to school or while they are looking for better, more permanent positions or retired teachers make up most of our sub force. As long as there are people who will do it for no benefits, no guaranteed dollars and no job security it is going to stay the way it is. Why would it change?

Thank you for subbing. I am sorry you feel not respected. I hope you find something that wroks better for you.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I'm sorry. It must be really hard to be in your position. Vent away!
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

If I'm interpreting this statement correctly, our district is still paying subs:

Quote:
For all other substitute categories and part-time hourly employees, the District will look back to Jan. 1, 2020, and calculate average earnings per week based on regular hours worked. This average will be paid as weekly earnings during the extended school#closure. Earnings will be paid according to the typical payroll calendar.
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

subbing
Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Aillya, Where were you when all the conversations about this were taking place? Surely you must've had some sort of heads up? You must have heard people talking about this.
I'm sorry you're so frustrated. It does suck but I feel like you must have had to hear something if you were subbing so you can prepare in some way.

I respect subs very much. I think you have a super hard job as a substitute teacher. I'm really sorry you feel disrespected.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 03-13-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Please immediately apply for unemployment benefits. Some states are making the eligibility rules easier due to the coronavirus situation. You need to bring proof of hours worked over the past year.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I see you are in California. You can file for unemployment now since you are directly impacted by Covid 19. Govenor Newsom made the declaration earlier this week. It will be something. This situation sucks for everyone involved. I'm sorry your income is dried up.
tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
Aillya, Where were you when all the conversations about this were taking place? Surely you must've had some sort of heads up? You must have heard people talking about this.
All the heads up I got were from news outlets and this forum. Subs in this district don't even get a functioning district email. Mine expired as soon as my long term job ended, and IT never renewed it (despite repeated requests), so I was effectively out of the staff loop. I'm not the only one in this situation; I don't know why they give us emails and then refuse to activate them.

We have a sub coordinator who, in my opinion, failed to do her basic job of keeping us informed on this. All of us are registered with a personal email and she could have sent out a groupwide email giving us a heads up, but it never happened. There were basically no jobs this week except a couple, which were scooped up immediately. If you're not working, then you're not at school, then you don't hear news directly. If I hadn't worked today, I'd have found out my district was closed by watching the nightly news. All week, and in the week prior, the sentiment was that it might happen, but our status wasn't there yet. Then today, seemingly out of nowhere, this.

Last edited by Aillya; 03-13-2020 at 11:26 PM..

sevenplus

Old 03-14-2020, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Quote:
Then today, seemingly out of nowhere, this.
That's how we're ALL feeling right now.

We didn't know we were closing until 24 hours before it happened. Then the general public found out before we did.

Decisions are being made minute by minute.

I'm sorry you're feeling disrespected.

It's not a conspiracy, I promise. It's an unprecedented time that everyone across the globe is trying to figure out.
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-14-2020, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

How is this different than any other employee who works part time, which in essence a sub is because you don't have a full time contract.

My SIL works security at sporting and concert events. Boom! She's basically unemployed.

This is a horrible situation for all. Everyone is stressed out. No prior protocol for this because it's never happened.

Many have to continue to work (outside education) now have the financial burden of paying for childcare, 8f they can find some.

My work is per diem and I work in schools. I'm out of work and I'll just have to figure it out.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-14-2020, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I was at a school on Friday that made a ďteachers check your emailĒ announcement just after lunch. It was the announcement that school was closed starting Monday for two weeks. A couple of friendly teachers told me that school was closed. The school secretary told me to ďhave a nice weekendĒ as I left.

After getting my hair cut I went to the supermarket, where wow, it was like the end of the world. I saw a family of five pushing four overflowing carts, other customers were taking all the remained of dishwasher tabs, why I donít know, to sell on Craigslist I assume.

I stopped in at my evening and weekend employer and spoke with the manager. He said heíll look at the schedule and see if he can provide additional hours, this job already pays me more than subbing. Other than that Iíll be working on applications for jobs other than subbing and projects around the house.

I was booked solid for both March and April and those jobs are still in Aesop so Iím going to look at district web sites to see who I can contact to find out what to do; do I go in and help staff prepare? Many schools are open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for staff to write lesson plans, prepare materials, and parents to pick up items from the office.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-14-2020, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Yeah, it's reasonable to assume that the county's decision blindsided most people, and the schools were just prepping in case they were ordered to close. I was REALLY angry yesterday, but with a clearer head that much is obvious.

I've applied for unemployment at this point, and I'm going to spend the next 3 weeks studying for a basic IT certification exam since there's virtually no guarantee that school will resume when they say they will, and it's incredibly stupid (in my position as an unpaid independent contractor) to sit around hoping districts will just do what they say they'll do when clearly they have no idea what's happening and everything is up in the air. Thanks for all your kind words, and I hope you all stay safe in the coming weeks.

Lady Teacher

I'm so sorry
Old 03-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

It's a shame you were treated this way. My district is paying teachers, paras, food service, bus drivers and long term subs and building subs during the 3 weeks we are gone. It sounds like you are a daily sub and wouldn't be eligible but at least I feel my district is making the effort.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-14-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Teachnkids- your logic fails in that a school is supposed to be open a certain amount of days a year and offer work. Just like a sports arena will have this many home games and you know how much work you will get. If they go to digital classes they have to help us out. This bootstrap attitude is why we are where we are at as a country now.

stephenPE

Old 03-14-2020, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Quote:
Yeah, it's reasonable to assume that the county's decision blindsided most people, and the schools were just prepping in case they were ordered to close. I was REALLY angry yesterday, but with a clearer head that much is obvious.
I live in Fla. My wife is a teacher's aide and I knew all schools would be shut down here a few days before it happened. I could see it coming with all the colleges and sports that had stopped. This is unprecedented but I think necessary. I really feel for you. I keep hearing how great our economy is but too many people are just a month or two from being on the street or bankrupt. I did hear that Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks was going to pay his hourly employees that did tickets and concessions and all that for the next few weeks. He is a good guy. I hope you find some relief. Prayers for you Aillya. My room mate in college was name Illeya. He was Syrian.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-14-2020, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I'm so sorry you were blind sighted by this. I have no idea whether this was the norm in other districts (I'm not currently working in a school district so have no idea who was notified around here), but if they were planning this it would have been so good to have gotten some sort of notice of the potential for no jobs. So many families live paycheck to paycheck, and this is devastating.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-14-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

The governor of my state ordered all schools to close for two weeks. The largest district here was resistant even though two others had closed and several private schools were moving to long term online classes. The school I subbed at on Friday had about 20 regular teachers out. The union was pushing for them to close as our spring break was the week after next anyway. I get why people are mad( Iím mad Iím losing work), but it seems like the best thing to do.

I sensed that schools were going to close, but I was asking a lot of teachers and office staff and they were all in the dark. The best guess was most likely.

ElizabethJoy

Covid + casuals
Old 03-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I just wanted to chime in and say I'm so sorry you're in this situation. I subbed for the first 3 years of my career and loved it. To me, it is as valid a career choice as permanent teaching. Here in Australia casual teachers (subs) are very well paid. They will still miss out if schools close though. It sucks, no doubt about it.

This is such a hard time, but it will pass. To any subs reading this: we see you. You are valued and amazing and I wish you all got the pay + respect you deserve.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

We do need to communicate with substitutes better. I totally agree with you and you have every right to be upset. I do know that at our school, we were informed the evening before by an email which was quickly followed by an all-call to parents. There was very little time to process the information and the next day was "optional" for students so I never was able to say goodbye to my students as only a handful showed up on the optional day. This has been such a scary and anxious time for so many. Parents are upset and so are the students. It is all very surreal.
cutecat is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-14-2020, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Aillya, I feel for you and am mad for you! I was a sub for a good 11 years myself (mostly while in school and/or working a part-time job at the same time). Subs are truly treated like the lowest guy on the totem pole. I never had a district email either back when I did it.

Can you apply for unemployment? I did that quite often when school was out for the summers (yet, of course, the bills don't stop for the summer) and I got approved.

You say you're requested quite often, so it's too bad none of those teachers you sub for didn't mention it to you know either. I would think you might have met a few of them at some point, but again, not necessarily, even for years because you're always subbing when they're gone. I know it's not their responsibility to tell you, but you'd think one of them would have said a little something.

It's the fault of the substitute coordinator who couldn't even send that mass email like you said.

So, other than looking for other work ASAP, what else do you plan to do?
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Oreopete

Sorry
Old 03-16-2020, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I'm sorry for your situation. In our school we knew nothing until it happened...we got a robocall a few minutes before it was out to the county where I live. No for warning, no discussion what we would do in the event of, nothing. I understand how you feel and we are teachers under contract at the school.
Oreopete is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I totally feel your pain. I understand both sides of the picture - close schools to stop the spread of the virus and to keep our vulnerable school staff (many whom are elderly) safe. At the same time, closure affects people in ways that can't be avoided. Parents have no one to watch their kids, hourly staff aren't getting paid, subs have no jobs, etc. It's a lose-lose no matter what we do.

I have an idea for you, however. I tutor quite a bit and it's great money. If you have a bachelors degree you can charge up to 30-45 bucks and if you have a masters degree you can charge between 40-75 dollars, depending on your area.

Many families are going to be pretty desperate right now having their kids at home and not any way to teach them. You could (if you are willing to take the risk, since you have no cases in your state right now I don't see why not) advertise in your area to tutor children at home. For low income families you could offer a discount rate (all the kids in the family for one rate, or just an extreme discount). You could potentially make more money than you would sobbing by doing that!

Just an idea. If the virus wasn't so bad here I would be doing that!!! (I actually am just getting over a bacterial pneumonia so I am considered high risk right now, so I had to cancel all the tutoring sessions I had lined up!)
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
DearGod!

DearGod!

What?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Oh! Wow. I get why you are so furious: you got bills, you canceled plans and you don't feel valued as a staff member. However, I can not say that I agree with you on your rant. The teachers are on a contract and are on a permanent contract. They don't have the freedom to choose the days they are coming in to work. They have a permanent responsibility and with that comes benefits and privileges that subs jobs don't have. This is not a teacher versus substitute thing, this is just the way it is. The answer is simple: become certified and apply for a job as a regular teacher. Please, don't get me wrong, substitutes are good as gold in my mind. In addition: many subs I know also have several other jobs lined up and don't depend on one salary alone.

Secondly, I don't see anything wrong with the school using precautionary measures to keep the students not to mention the whole community healthy by closing and sending the students home even if that ruined your plans. I get that people have been saying this is a hoax but real people are dying. I rather be safe than sorry. Yes, if I had my choice between a 3 month salary and my life, I would definitely pick my life. This is from someone who has been ill many times.

Just so you know, more times than not, teachers are treated the same way you described. We get the information the last and believe me if they could get away with not paying certified teachers they would. No, we don't feel any more special than you.

eliza4one

Old 03-16-2020, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Quote:
"Oh man, I have to do my (high school) lessons online now" Like. Are you ####ing kidding me?
I agree with this and have heard it IRL and on this forum. It saddens me, actually!

We should be VERY thankful we still have a job. VERY thankful kids will still be learning. VERY thankful we have this new challenge (I look upon it as a challenge, which I love).

Instead, I hear teachers complaining about it, which is their right, of course. I just don't understand it is all.

My heart goes out to you.

My DD is in a very precarious position. I plan to do everything I can to help her out during this trying time. I hope others/someone will reach out to you if you need help. I am very sorry for your struggles and understand your vent!

{{{hugs}}}
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 03-16-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

If we come to the point of closure (being resisted at all levels other than on the ground right now) I am willing to give online teaching a red hot go. However, it is completely new to me, so I will be a beginner, and I have a class of academically very low 6 year olds. I'm not sure how it's going to work.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza4one
I agree with this and have heard it IRL and on this forum. It saddens me, actually!

We should be VERY thankful we still have a job. VERY thankful kids will still be learning. VERY thankful we have this new challenge (I look upon it as a challenge, which I love).

Instead, I hear teachers complaining about it, which is their right, of course. I just don't understand it is all.

My heart goes out to you.
Thank you for this!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote