Teachers' Lounge

Coronavirus restrictions vs. religious freedom

>

SDT

Coronavirus restrictions vs. religious freedom
Old 03-18-2020, 09:56 AM

I just saw this:

https://www.wafb.com/2020/03/18/bato...outputType=amp

This is exactly the kind of thing that is going to cause more restrictions from the government. I believe in religious freedom, but worship is not restricted to one place. Surely the Faithful can worship from home and support one another without such large meetings.

SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-18-2020, 10:01 AM

That angers me that he's ignoring rules and I'm sure other kinds of groups out there will ignore rules too.

Religious or not, I know God can cure miracles, but we still need to take precautions. Why risk it?

This reminds me of those pastors who play with poisonous snakes because they know or think God won't allow them to be killed by them. Now whether any were killed by those snakes, I never heard/knew.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM

Many of our churches are satellites and stream online for their members. That is such a relief for many who canít go.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 AM

What an idiot!

Churches in my area (with more logical and rational leadership) are switching to some sort of online services, either recorded or streaming. We are doing meetings and small group studies, etc. by Zoom.

Clearly people's spiritual needs do not stop because of the need for social distancing and quarantine. If anything they may increase. It's a time to figure out how to meet people's needs, as well as safeguard the health of all.

But then, you all are educators. You knew that!
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 03-18-2020, 10:53 AM

My church has gone digital for the time being. We had one last n person class on Monday night that has very few people present. Many of us stayed and talked till 1030 in the parking lot.

Since then I've only left the house to go to work or go to the grocery store.

Our pastor is encouraging everyone to observe the 10 person limit recommended from the CDC and check in on any church members that are older or have health issues. We've had a 16 person group text going on since yesterday morning of encouragement and check ins on everyone's physical AMD mental health.

Tonight the church plans on showing some previously videoed worship and our associate pastor will do a short message. Our head pastor is currently stuck in Japan after a few weeks long visit with his son and daughter in law.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 AM

They always seem to work so well. Were the snake handlers on site?
Quote:
Tuesdayís service was held at Life Tabernacle Church in the City of Central, located in East Baton Rouge Parish. Rev. Spell says he does not believe his congregation is at risk of getting COVID-19.

ďItís not a concern,Ē Spell said of the virus. ďThe virus, we believe, is politically motivated. We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.Ē
Well, okay, then.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The virus, we believe, is politically motivated.
How ridiculous!

The virus is a snippet of RNA with a protein covering.

It is incapable of any sort of motivation, even political.

It's only "motivation" (if we can call it that) is to reproduce. We can invite it to be our guest...or give it the cold shoulder.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-18-2020, 11:33 AM

Synagogues in my city have all closed. Different rabbis are taking turns live streaming from home at a set time nightly where they recite specific psalms (and viewers can say it along at home), then give a sermon type speech.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Scary times
Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM

My church has suspended services for now. I don't know where it's going to go with the religious restrictions. For now, I will just accept this as a way of stopping this virus. Today I called a couple of the elderly from our church to check on them. I'm sure they are very upset about services being cancelled. I think our answer has to be to pray and worship at home. The good thing is there are online messages if we choose to watch, but I imagine this would be a good time to have in home services for those we already come in contact with in our little groups. Another thought would be open air services if they are allowed. Of course there are other religious beliefs, but from mine the Bible says, (loosely quoted) where two or three are gathered in my name I will be there also. That's important to remember. While we have strength in numbers, we are not alone in our little groups.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 AM

My Mom, fiance', and I who usually go to the big Easter service won't do it this year. The church we go to for that is BIG.

Last edited by MAsped; 03-18-2020 at 11:58 AM..

teacher4

Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 AM

Jim Jones mentality. Why risk your flock to a virus. God gives us wisdom and common sense.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2020, 11:58 AM

A friend I went to HS with just posted a message from her pastor on FB, which stated this was all a liberal media hoax and they will "not give in." Something about coronavirus actually being here since last fall (as those of us who are educated and watch the news know, there are lots of different coronaviruses) and using that as proof that it's not real. He advises they stock up on food but otherwise continue living their lives as normal, and thinks that God will use Trump to end this/show the evil ways of the world . I knew she had become ultra religious but didn't realize she went that far off the deep end. What happens when someone in their congregation gets sick? Thankfully, most churches around here are doing the right thing and are closed/holding services online.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

snake handling preachers
Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
This reminds me of those pastors who play with poisonous snakes because they know or think God won't allow them to be killed by them. Now whether any were killed by those snakes, I never heard/knew.
I just Googled this, and there are a number of stories about preachers who have died as a result of a snake bite.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I was shocked
Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM

to see a video posted on facebook that showed people standing close together in a church while the pastor told them that they were safe in God's house and that they could not get coronavirus there and they needed to show that they trusted God by spreading his love. He encouraged them to shake hands or give a kiss of peace to at least 3 people.

I support religious freedom but this is not the way a minister should lead his flock. JMHO.

Snake handling-https://abcnews.go.com/US/snake-handling-pentecostal-pastor-dies-snake-bite/story?id=22551754
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 03-18-2020, 12:52 PM

I think that the minister/pastor only wants attention for himself by having the press film this.

and on another note, did you notice the behavior of his wife? She seems to be his puppet. (I know that's not nice, but that's my opinion.)
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-18-2020, 01:02 PM

Yep, I'm not surprised quite a few ministers have gotten killed by the poisonous snakes.

Ruby tunes

Crazy pastors and their followers
Old 03-18-2020, 01:05 PM

People who deny scientific realities and act like fools make me want to scream!
Oh, and I have zero sympathy for any pastor or minister who dies from snakebite as a result of deliberately handling poisonous snakes.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

There are a lot of people defying
Old 03-18-2020, 02:03 PM

the instructions/advise/etc. We saw pictures of full Florida beaches, and full bars/nightclubs etc. There are also a lot of churches who have cancelled in-person worship services, including mine.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 03-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Our diocese (huge) has cancelled daily and Sunday Mass at all parishes. They are being streamed from the Cathedral. Shaking hands at the sign of peace has been discouraged for quite a while.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 03-18-2020, 02:17 PM

Iím dealing with mentality with my ex-husband. Itís like talking to a wall.

Bless their hearts! Letís just pray for them and hope they donít become an epicenter for their area. I donít think they would be able to live it down.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The virus is a snippet of RNA with a protein covering.

It is incapable of any sort of motivation, even political.
That made me laugh!

The Bible says God gives wisdom to anyone who asks for it. Maybe this church leader should ask for wisdom.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM

I left the house for the first time since Friday to go pick up my cat's medication at the vet. People were standing at a busy intersection holding up signs saying something along the lines of "honk if you don't believe the hoax" and things of that nature . Thankfully I didn't hear any honks! I mean, really! You feel the need to go hold a sign at the street corner??
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

This is where I live...
Old 03-18-2020, 11:32 PM

I actually taught the pastor's son. He was a precious child. The dad wouldn't let any of their kids do home work. He said school was for school work and home is family time, which I tend to agree with. My whole class had a homework free year.

But this was terribly irresponsible. Just found out we now have our first confirmed case...

Every other church in our area has cancelled services. Most are doing a Facebook live service.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

This
Old 03-19-2020, 10:55 AM

is nuts
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...church-goers\\
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote