Help

The VENT

Australia

>

Tiamat

Australia
Old 03-22-2020, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our prime minister has just shown himself to be an incompetent, bumbling arsehole. I mean, I knew that, but didn’t expect him to show it quite so clearly. I wonder who will settle Australia after it’s vacant?

We who are about to die salute you.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We need more than that. Be more specific. Maybe I read where he kept the schools open.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

I was
Old 03-22-2020, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So glad that the basketball season ended so my son came home before travel restrictions. He got home on the 10th.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

marcy46

be ready
Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what exactly is going on but I'm assuming your schools are not closing? As someone living in New York State my advice to you is be ready! Things can change in an instant. We walked in to school on Friday the 13th (yes! really!) and all was status quo. By 1:00 we were handing out chromebooks and told we were closing for one week. Now we are officially closed until March 31.

If I could have given myself advice this is what I would say to me the week before we closedI'm grade four teacher)

Get the class on Google classroom or whatever your school uses. Get them used to logging in! Use it as much as you can! They will learn so fast! Give them all of their passwords to the school learning accounts. Make sure they all know how to log in! Get used to technology as much as possible!

Get all parent contacts up to date.

Make sure you have all of your passwords in a place you can access them.

Start taking things home like plants, personal items, grade books, etc. whatever you may need at home. I am not allowed back in my building.

Talk to your students! Tell them what they can do IF you do close. They are probably thinking about it anyway. Let them take books from the classroom to have at home. Give them reading logs, tables, charts whatever may be useful at home.

Ask who does not have computer/internet access and keep a list.

Make sure you are connected with co-workers by text/facebook. They are my support !

Go grocery shopping and start stocking up! Start with paper products, but also do health/beauty aids, pasta, frozen food, meat. These are things that are still available but sometimes hard to find.

I do not know what is going to happen! This is just advice I which I had known the days prior to closing. I hope you stay healthy and safe!

Dina
marcy46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

He has closed “social gatherings” - pubs, clubs, churches, etc, and reminded parents not to allow their children to congregate in public spaces so as not to spread infection. He scolded the country like a bunch of naughty children for not following the social distance rules that are so vital, as he says, and our disobedience is why he’s having to take harsher steps.

But schools are staying open because there is no evidence that children spread the virus.

I am so angry right now I can’t think coherently. The virus is now in our region and we are expected to just front up.

Oh, and parents can decide to keep their children home and online learning will be set up. Just doubled the workload right there.

He has no clue. He’s incompetent and dangerous and needs to be removed. Our Only hope in this state is the premier overriding him, which is unlikely because they’re the same party.

I hate him. I hate him so much.

anna

Old 03-22-2020, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hate him too. Every day there is more ominous news regarding children,young adults and Covid 19. Weeks ago scientists knew that children and young adults can be carriers of the virus. Now more of them are getting sick .
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-22-2020, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow....I didn't realize Australia's schools are still open!!!! I would be upset too!!! I hope the upcoming days bring some changes because our young ones can be carriers. In our state alone, we now have children who are as young as 1 and 2 testing positive for the virus. I can't imagine many parents sending their students to school and expecting teachers to do online and in classroom teaching will be too much. Hopefully, many students will stay home.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-22-2020, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yikes, thatís stupid on a whole new level. The only hope is so many parents keep their kids home schools have to close.

Iím so sorry you guys are dealing with this.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 03-22-2020, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hope parents keep their children home. Also, can you teachers organize and have everyone call in sick? You might be able to force their hand.

Honestly didn't think there was anywhere in the world that still had schools open.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ugh, I'm so sorry.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

chanan

Old 03-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm so sorry as well. Hopefully he will sense very soon. I can't imagine your frustration right now.
chanan is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Covid
Old 03-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The craziest thing is that the PM says school is still open but the NSW premier has told parents not to send their kids. It feels like Mum and Dad are arguing + no one's sure who to listen to. They need to be united at the very least.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 03-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Tiamat, well that certainly surpasses the level of stupid here. I am so sorry that your incompetent leader is putting you and your countrymen at risk.

My governor didn't order our state's schools closed. He left it up to individual districts. I am so proud of our superintendents in MO. Every one of them closed their school. Our governor has not ordered anything except municipal election will be moved from April 7 to June 2. We had school on Monday and Tuesday of last week. We have our first positive test in my county today.

I read about a 12 yr old girl in Atlanta, Georgia who has gotten pneumonia from the virus and is on a ventilator. This is beginning to effect the children. Our students were feeling invincible the last few days of school because they heard that only the elderly were dying of this virus. Some kids were playing Corona touch tag at recess. Very upsetting that this is not being taken seriously.

We are about to go through a massive population adjustment.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Old 03-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That has to be the most ridiculous thing Iíve heard in a while.

Children can become infected. Children can be carriers. Does your leadership think there is a magic bubble around the children? The second case in my state, was a fifteen year old. He was immediately quarantined. His school was immediately closed. It was the first school closed in our state. And, letís pretend that we arenít sure whether children can become infected, or not. Letís pretend that we arenít sure if children can be carriers, or not. Why not err on the side of caution? I believe ďOut of an abundance of cautionĒ has become our new motto.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-22-2020, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

That's crazy. What I've read about COVID-19 and children is that they can definitely get it and sometimes they get quite sick, although they are likely to survive. Often their symptoms are mild and sometimes they're asymptomatic. To me, that means they're quite likely to be unknowing carriers. Add to that the fact that they often really don't get how germs are spread and that it's hard to socially distance yourself from a child and you sort of have to assume that they're adorable little virus bombs!

I will say this, though: where I'm at, school has been cancelled for a week now but it definitely doesn't mean that kids are staying at home.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 03-22-2020, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Weíre referring to them are ďour little disease vectorsĒ.

We were open today, but absenteeism was high (I had six kids in my class). Parents are being strongly encouraged to keep their kids at home unless they (the parents) are essential workers But we know there will be those who just want babysitting. One teacher was sent home for the duration (sheís pregnant) and we will be making it up as we go from tomorrow.

Just close us, already!