Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Holy Thursday I wonder...

>

Teacherbee_4

Holy Thursday I wonder...
Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM

I'm not sure if other Christian religions do this, but I know in the Catholic Church on Holy Thursday, they do the "Washing of the feet". The priest washes the feet of some of the people in the congregation. The pope is known to do this to prisoners on Holy Thursday, too.

I wonder what will happen this year. With Italy being so effected by COVID-19 and so many precautions being taken, I doubt the pope will do the washing of the feet.

With live masses cancelled, our local parishes are streaming masses, but of course, no one is in the congregation. There's usually someone singing/doing music, a priest, and maybe a deacon and that's it. With no one in the congregation and health concerns, I wonder if this will not be part of the mass this year.

I know it's the first time in modern history there hasn't been the washing of the feet on Holy Thursday.

Just a thought that popped into my head today.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

No
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

It is to be omitted when no one is present.

This year also will be the first time Pope Francis will celebrate the evening Mass of the Lord's Supper in the Vatican instead of at a prison, hospital or other institution. The Congregation for Divine Worship said that "the washing of feet, which is already optional, is to be omitted" when there are no faithful present.

https://www.catholicnews.com/service...eek-easter.cfm
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Palm Sunday will be very different this year. Although some area churches are doing drive by pick up palms, my church isn't . (And even if they were, I would not be going t get the.)

The Holy Saturday service is my favorite of the year. I am missing it already.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-03-2020, 05:35 PM

We are Lutheran and also have foot washing on Maundy Thursday. Holy Week has always been very special to me. Growing up my parents made these observances a priority and we always attended all the services throughout the week. Our pastor is doing online scripture and sermons for PS, Maundy Th, Good Friday and of course Easter. It just isn't the same though.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote