KetchupChips

Beach warning
Old 04-05-2020, 06:32 AM

This is scary and sad.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...140029412.html

KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-05-2020, 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting. Yes, seems logical. I was also thinking about not only going in the water, but all those particles being released into the air from the oceans too, yikes. Now, it's finally not good to live by the beach.

But of course there's always those diehard surfers that will still go out there.

I'm worried about how this will affect the water that we drink. We ALL have to drink water. Sceintists are going to have to create some kind of strong filtration system to remove the covid particles out of our water too.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 AM

The information coincides with what has been communicated by many scientists for several months and certainly illustrates the importance of wearing a mask . Thanks for sharing.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 AM

Wow, I would not have thought that would be dangerous!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 AM

So wind might be a problem, too, right?

anna, thank you for pointing out the wisdom of masks and not denigrating where people choose to live.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-05-2020, 07:41 AM

I think that we all have to use common sense here...

I don’t really think anybody is really going to the beach at this point. But, if I lived near the beach would I walk or run on the beach still? Yes.

There are so many things being reported right now that I really am taking a lot of them with a grain of salt. I only really listen to WHO, CDC, and scholarly science articles (and even then- they still don’t know with 100% certainty).

The ocean has always had pollution problems and the chance of getting a bacterial infection from the ocean or a lake as always been there. Not sure I truly believe that anybody is going to be “infected” from the beach. Just as many scientists have said that the chances of getting infected from a surface are close to nonexistent. Just because something lives on a surface doesn’t mean it is in a state that it can be transferred or cause an illness.

I think we should all be staying home and extra cautious when we go out.
However, I also think we can’t allow fear, especially of the unknown, to overtake common sense or our lives in a greater sense.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

All beaches closed
Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM

Parking lots shut tight. But folks are still parking on top of each other and crowding the beaches. Surfers out, they do not care. We were walking at beach but now we stick close to home. And yes, I ordered a box of masks from Walmart.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 08:00 AM

Lilbitkm, I seriously love you and your logic. Most sincere thanks.

juliet, not only are the beaches and parking lots here closed, thereís no surfing. How I look forward to seeing surfers when this is over!

lisa53

Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM

I am not convinced by this article. Could a virus get into the ocean? Well, sure, thereís a chance. If that particle is near the waterís surface, could it be aerosolized and inhaled. Yes.

But one of the things I was taught in civil engineering school was ďThe solution to pollution is dilution.Ē Well, not the only solution...but the volume of the ocean permits a lot of dilution!

You probably wonít get sick from a single viral particle randomly inhaled. A certain ďviral loadĒ is required. And Iím not worrying about the virus in my drinking water either. At least, not until there is better evidence than the speculation presented in this article.

We already have enough to worry about that has good scientific backing. So there.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Amiga
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 AM

They are not supposed to be surfing but they just do not listen...they think they are special. Wait until they start getting arrested...

juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-05-2020, 10:48 AM

It probably varies by where you live. But, I am in Florida and you’re not allowed to congregate on the beach or sunbathe. However, the beaches are open for “exercise purposes.” The parking lots are closed but if you’re in waking distance you’re fine.

That includes:
“... beachside communities will limit beach activities to walking, jogging, biking, fishing, surfing and swimming during Florida’s 30-day “safer at home” order amid the new coronavirus pandemic.”

Exercise, alone or with the people who live in your home, has not only been stated as being more than okay but it’s actually being encouraged.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist lisa
....not until there is better evidence than the speculation presented in this article.
Thank you, lisa. I trust your knowledgeable opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbitkm
Exercise, alone or with the people who live in your home, has not only been stated as being more than okay but itís actually being encouraged.
Thanks, thatís interesting. Itís fascinating to see how different states apply what weíre learning about the virus.

anna

Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM

This article was informative in the sense that the writer referred to scientists who are researching questions about the virus. I'm glad the article is published and most likely will encourage people to wear masks .
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 04-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Iím with lilbit. Our beaches are still open for recreation and exercise, just not hanging out on the beach. I went paddle boarding in our bay yesterday and plan to continue paddle boarding and swimming.

I think if the ocean is going to kill me it will not use covid to do it, plus if the ocean is spreading the virus there probably isnít a safe place in our whole state.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-05-2020, 06:46 PM

This is good to know! No gatherings are allowed on our beaches and they are patrolling them, but we can get on the beach to walk, ride bikes, surf, etc. Guess DH and I won't be going down there and walking as we were planning this week. Very interesting!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 AM

I'm pretty suspicious about this whole idea that oceans are dangerous. So many things weren't accounted for. What about sunlight and heat killing viruses? At some point, I'm going to get so tired of the dooms day stuff that I'll just throw my hands up and take my chances. There's a part of me that thinks this is just another way to keep people home and that later on, more science will come out to discount it. You know, kinda like the whole face mask thing. I've read too many sci-fi books, I guess.

I've been pretty happy at home, but I will reach my limit eventually.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote