Stupid LRA That I have to sign before the end of next month. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Stupid LRA That I have to sign before the end of next month.

>

Bobbies

Stupid LRA That I have to sign before the end of next month.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, I read the letter of reassurance that was sent me that has to be turned in no later than May 31st. I signed it, as I want to be a substitute for the next school year, but it states it explicitly prohibits subs from collecting unemployment throughout normally scheduled breaks, which the "summer months" fall under. I have read were there is a way to get around this by several other posters on here, but I am not smart enough to know how to do this. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can possibly continue to receive unemployment after what is supposed to be the last day of school like May 28th? What would a good attorney say to fight this? Is it even worth fighting? Now that I am finally receiving disability and it has been back tracked, I would like to get my tiny piece of the pie. It's not like I am the Dallas Hotelier who received over 100 million dollars in stimulus money and stated I would not return any of it and fired everybody anyways, and I hired a bunch of the big-wigs who are currently running the federal government in order to get all of that money.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-28-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think contacting a lawyer is a good idea. I was wondering how I was going to handle this, also. My letter doesn't have to be returned until June 24.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

Every year
Old 04-28-2020, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The letter states that every year.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Letter of REASONABLE assurance
Old 04-28-2020, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

NOT "reassurance." I wish folks would get the wording straight. Sigh.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

TexASS
Old 04-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My letter states that it has to be returned by May 31st period I probably should have waited until May 30th, however I know that I am at least in titled for the rest of this school year. The way that this state treats its substitutes makes me wanna throw up. The way I look at it, if I ought to spend $1500 on a lawyer so I can get $2000, I made a profit of $500.

Bobbies

Time to Unionize? Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also, I might add that I read on another substitute post that this is a teacher's market. There are many teachers who are refusing to go back to the classroom next year because of the way they have been treated this year. That gives us as substitutes more leverage doesn't it? Now would be the perfect time to unionize substitutes. I know our local Union doesn't give 2 hoots and I and about us since All of their members are teachers, And we all know what teachers think of substitutes. Look at what Amazon and are there companies are doing on May the 1st having a walkout because of their slave wages and horrible working conditions. In short unlike teachers, substitute have nobody looking out for their best interests. Oh, if I made any grammatical or spelling errors it's because my boobs are too big to see my keyboard today. I'm using another computer.

bodhimom

California
Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't think a consultation with a lawyer would be $1500, but I have no idea. The peace of mind would be worth something.

I haven't returned mine, yet, because I'm still waiting to hear about the teacher position I applied for, but I interviewed 8 days ago and haven't heard anything. That doesn't sound good. Hopefully, they're just slow. I wish they would call us, either way, so we don't sit around waiting.

I just checked and the job is still on edjoin. I guess that is a good sign. If I knew I had the job, I could be using this time to plan, instead of watching shark tank reruns. Very frustrating!

Last edited by bodhimom; 04-29-2020 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Checked edjoin

Sirsubalot

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My reassurance letter from my largest district was due on April 27.

I hope the new sub tech got it, but no feedback given.

None of my letters said we are not able to collect UI. In fact my largest district even provides an address in Oakland CA to write in order to file for IU, which I never quite understood.

I would not worry about the scheduled end of the year and just continue to fill out the claim forms every two weeks.
I doubt anyone at the EDD will question our claims unless a district administrator brings it to their attention.
As long as the start of the school year remains a question mark, I surmise our claims are safe.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

On most unemployment sites, you're asked if you received a letter of reasonable assurance, and if answer "yes," you're denied benefits. In regards to people thinking it should be fine. Unless the unemployment folks come out and say it directly, I'd assume this is the district once again stopping employees who've basically been fired since March from continuing to collect benefits that they've paid for since they began working.

I actually laughed out loud when I got my letter today, and I think I'll throw it in the trash (EDIT: actually gonna save it with the date on it for archival purposes). These people haven't contacted me at ALL throughout this entire ordeal, but now that I've finally gotten my unemployment set up, here they are with the mystical letter! We promise that when we open (at an undetermined date in the future, maybe) someone will get sick and we'll definitely call! . Despite what I said earlier, I'm going to just keep collecting. They canceled three months worth of work for me without even a letter, so any "reasonable assurance" from them means nothing to me. For all they know, things will get worse and we won't even open in August. Hell, they don't even usually send them until summer begins around here, but now they're sending them in April when they know people are trying to just collect unemployment to stay above water. Downright evil in my opinion.

Last edited by Aillya; 04-30-2020 at 12:12 AM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 04-29-2020, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They can't prove we got the letter. Just play dumb and reapply when things open up.

CC96

Wrong
Old 04-29-2020, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You can still get benefits. I had already received one letter of assurance, I expect to get two more. I answered truthfully “yes” —they are for next year. I am
laid off for this year as all of my schools are closed. I got all of my benefits. I will be honest and stop taking benefits at the end of what would have been my normal 19/20 school year unless they say I can still get them. I don’t want to be dishonest or have to pay money back.

Last edited by CC96; 04-30-2020 at 06:13 AM..

NJSubteacher

Depends On Your State
Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here in NJ, it has always been illegal to collect UI benefits as a substitute during the summer. So far this has not changed either. The only exception is IF you were laid off from another job in addition to subbing around the same time.

If the letter from your district clearly states you cannot collect during the summer, I would NOT collect. Otherwise you defintely risk being removed from the sub list for next school year. We do not normally get paid during the summer, so this would not be any different, unless a new EO is issued by your state Governor saying different.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Here in NJ, it has always been illegal to collect UI benefits as a substitute during the summer. So far this has not changed either. The only exception is IF you were laid off from another job in addition to subbing around the same time.

If the letter from your district clearly states you cannot collect during the summer, I would NOT collect. Otherwise you defintely risk being removed from the sub list for next school year. We do not normally get paid during the summer, so this would not be any different, unless a new EO is issued by your state Governor saying different.
I have to disagree.

First off, it's an EDD determination whether or not you may collect UI. It is NOT up to your district.. It's your right to apply. Also, these are NOT normal circumstances. Substitute teachers HAVE been laid off from their jobs due to the COVID-induced school closures. This has entitled them to collect unemployment insurance benefits.

The districts cannot even now "reasonably assure" that schools will reopen and on-campus classes resume at the usual time. So it is NOT a normal situation at all, and to say that "this would be no different" than any other summer break is unrealistic.

Under normal EDD policy, once you have qualified for UI due to a layoff, you continue to be qualified to collect payments until either your claim expires OR you resume working and routinely earning at least the amount of your UI weekly payments.

(P.S. I wouldn't use the term "illegal" in reference to filing for a UI claim! It is everyone's right to file for a claim, and up to EDD to grant or deny benefits. It's not a law enforcement matter! )

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-01-2020 at 10:10 AM..

bodhimom

California
Old 05-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was surprised that subs would even think of getting unemployment during the summer.

I am shocked to learn that teachers would even think of getting unemployment during the summer.

I still don't know what I'm going to do.

NJSubteacher

Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Not even sure what "EDD" stands for or what it means because I never heard that term used in NJ. Is that just a California thing? In the state of NJ it has ways been prohibited to collect Unemployment during summer months. I know this is not a typical situation, but in the state of NJ, this rule has NOT changed!

As I said before, UI benefits are determined by the STATES. This is not something where, yes you can do this in CA , so you can do this anywhere. Also, here in NJ, the STATE determines if you can collect. Right now in MY state, you CANNOT collect over the summer and I highly doubt that will change.

Just curious, why do you expect to be able to get FREE money during a time you wouldn't be working anyway??

Fractured

Old 05-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Because we are in the middle of a pandemic and economic crisis and some of us canít afford to work at A market or Amazon and get sick. We pay into unemployment. Considering Iíll never get my social security, Iíll take everything coming to me and more because I have been paying into for decades.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree that states SHOULD give us UI until we are able to work again. However, I highly doubt NJ would do that. Actually I think Federal Govt should give us a stimulus for every month this continues. Personally, I would try applying to work at a local grocery store or something for the summer. My UI plus stimulus should last me til the Fall.

Why dont you think you will get SS?

bodhimom

Sick leave - California
Old 05-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I just picked this thread.

I am hoping to get hired as a teacher, next year, and am bored to death, right now, so I was just poking around the district's and found this... By law...

"All employees must be notified of the amount of sick leave available, with each paycheck.". I am an employee, as a sub, in my district, but this has never happened. It says, "Labor Code 246.".

WTF?

Fractured

Old 05-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I don’t think anyone from my generation will get SS, or it will be such a small amount it won’t be enough to live on. Republicans have been trying to gut it for decades. If they retain control of the Senate and Presidency this Nov, look for them to start cutting it and saying they need to make up for the money they sent out to us, even though they waste most of our tax dollars anyway, and bailout corporations with billions and trillions.

Really I think I will just have to work until I die. People just aren’t going to have the savings to retire in twenty years. It’s already happening.

I think they should be giving us checks as well, or at least forgiving rent and mortgage payments. How is a person supposed to pay back 6 months of rent if they have no job and were barely surviving before this crisis?
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 05-01-2020, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
"All employees must be notified of the amount of sick leave available, with each paycheck.". I am an employee, as a sub, in my district, but this has never happened. It says, "Labor Code 246.".

WTF?
bodhimom:
My school district joins our county HR employee information system where we are notified with every paycheck what our available sick hours are. It gets updated every pay period. This is an online one-stop shop for employees to access their payroll information at any given time.

Does your district offer something like this?
Sweetsunset is online now   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Wep
Old 05-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Fractured, I empathize with your post…I hope when the time comes you are able to collect your share of SS.

I have doubled up working in retail/food services while working at public schools for many years- (Only way to survive here in my state, thereby, I have earned my 40 credits for SS eligibility). I have been contributed to social security and a state pension plan at the same time. I fear the Windfall Elimination Provision though, because it will limit how much money I will be able to collect from SS when my time comes (if there is money available). The online WEP calculator doesn’t give me promising numbers.

Quote:
The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) is a formula that can reduce the size of your Social Security retirement benefit if you receive a pension from a job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes.Feb 21, 2020
Sweetsunset is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
Just curious, why do you expect to be able to get FREE money during a time you wouldn't be working anyway
Seriously??? That's a ludicrous remark. You aren't even trying to understand the issue. So no comment.

BTW: So do you plan on turning down your "free" fed govt stimulus money?

Quote:
Because we are in the middle of a pandemic and economic crisis and some of us can’t afford to work at A market or Amazon and get sick.
Yep. I'll add that we were LAID OFF due to the pandemic and have qualified for UI as a result.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-01-2020 at 06:07 PM..

luv2teach2017

Nj ui
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Fact Check re: New Jersey UI: I had serious doubts about the claims someone here made regarding New Jersey UI policies. So I googled the New Jersey UI dept. Here's what I found out:

IN New Jersey, it's called the Department of Unemployment (or DU, lol).( In California, it's the Employment Development Department (EDD)). Here's a quote from the NJ DU web site:

https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/...mployees.shtml

Quote:
"School employee claims have distinct eligibility requirements.

For example, a school employee may not be eligible to receive benefits if all the following apply:

*A claim is filed during a recess period.
*Only school wages are in the base period of the claim.
*There is an offer to return to work for a school employer when the recess period ends."

Note that ALL those conditions must exist for New Jersey DU to render someone ineligible. Also note that one of those conditions is that the claim is filed DURING a recess period (e.g., DURING summer break). Finally, the wording is "May not be eligible to receive benefits." It doesn't say you cannot file a claim (and especially doesn't call that "illegal")!

NJSubteacher: I fact checked this because I (correctly) suspected that NJ and California UI policies were more likely very similar. You made a lot of false claims in your posts. You need to do your homework (it took me a couple of minutes to google it) and make sure you know what you're talking about before making assertions that may adversely impact others' perceptions and choices. Especially during this sensitive time!

People are struggling and stressed right now. They have every right to seek financial help by filing UI claims and collect benefits if they can. No one needs to be shamed for that or accused of doing something "illegal." What's wrong with you???? Seriously???

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-02-2020 at 04:19 PM..

Bobbies

Idiot
Old 05-02-2020, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Odd that you don't ask the same thing of your president's friends who are making out like bandits during this time. Why are multibillionaires cashing in and receiving hundreds of millions of dollars at this time? Why don't you question their motives? What I do is none of your damn business?
By the way, we are only talking a few thousands of dollars. You live in New Jersey. You live in a state where they care about education, and I am sure that you are taking full advantage of all of the incentives given you in your Union state, of which you receive benefits but I'm sure you vote against your interests.
Some of us live in sleazy right to work States where people are paid horribly. I happen to live in a district where over 70% of the students are disadvantaged. Everybody is allowed free meals. Average wages and New Jersey are more than double the average wage in this state. By the way, I am paying and paying a hell of a lot compared to what we are given for this unemployment and cares act and whatever else they are called.
You bet your large Polyester stretch pants from QVC that I am going to try and get all of the money that I possibly can in order to live on, and I won't be thinking of you when I do it.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
Odd that you don't ask the same thing of your president's friends who are making out like bandits during this time. Why are multibillionaires cashing in and receiving hundreds of millions of dollars at this time? Why don't you question their motives?
Yep. Exactly!

Tapdancesub

Old 05-02-2020, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I received my RA letter this week and started my UI claim the week after school closed. I am going to collect for as long as the state of California sends me a check. As far as Iím concerned I am reasonably assured of absolutely nothing! One argument is that there is no summer school either this year, therefore no jobs. I do many SEA jobs during ESY here.

The governor is talking about starting school in July here. Donít think thatís going to happen. I figure right now the EDD has bigger fish to fry than substitutes. Iím going to just take my chances.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Minimally
Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Since we were laid off for the remainder of the 19/20 school year we are at least allowed EDD until what would have been our last week of this school year. Anything beyond that is anybodyís guess. If we have reasonable assurance for September and then school doesnít start or jobs arenít available then collecting over the summer would have made sense because now you still ended up being unemployed due to the pandemic and its fallout despite the letter. Trying to go back and collect would be nearly impossible.

bodhimom

California
Old 05-03-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

That's what I was thinking. We couldn't work during the summer if we wanted to.