Help

Third Grade

Is Brain Pop worth the cost?

>

MunchkinLand

Is Brain Pop worth the cost?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've used a few free samples and really liked them, but it's $145!! And if you do use it, do you subscribe to Brain Pop or Brain Pop Jr.? I'm concerned the Jr. might be too easy for third. Thanks in advance for your input!

MunchkinLand is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

Brain Pop
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I LOVE Brain Pop and think it is worth the money. I definitely reccomend the Jr. version, because the regular Brain Pop is a little advanced for third graders. It follows our curriculum perfectly and is very engaging.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

40-love

It's worth it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love BrainPop Jr and use it often, mostly for science and social studies, but recently have tried the math and ela areas. Kids love it. Each one is short enough to be a quick introduction or mini lesson; and they're short enough to play a second time. I always check out the writing and other activities. They're not always the greatest but sometimes I use them. The level of the Jr. site is just perfect for 3rd graders.
40-love is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is so, so, so worth it. The kids LOVE it and the videos are really informative. Highly recommend you use it! Our school purchases licenses for all teachers.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught 3rd I'd use a mix of regular and jr. To be honest I do not think it's worth the money. If my district pays for it, I use it and enjoy having it as a resource, however I would not pay for it myself or ask for it to be paid for. The videos could be helpful as an intro to a topic and my kids actually enjoyed doing the quizzes, but I would not spend $145 for it. I also think the videos appeared to teach things well ( to me as an adult who is familiar with the topic) but i didn't see a whole ton of extra retention or understanding from using the videos. It's hard to put into words, but I don't think that it's a good way to spend money. Plus with third, I agree that it is hard to pick which to buy. A lot of the stuff in the regular will be over you kids' heads, you will be able to use some jr., but some will be way too easy.

Just my two cents and I know a lot of people LOVE Brainpop and I do like it, but don't think it's really worth the $$.

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinitbest

Our system buys it for us!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use Brainpop and bp jr. We also love Ixl.com for math, spelling city, and united streaming! I guess we're lucky our system buys these for our students! Totally worth the $!
teachinitbest is offline   Reply With Quote

KrisKElem

Check if your district
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

already pays for it. My district has a number of fee based sites for us to utilize and brainpop and jr are among them. I love it and use it often. I hope you find out that they do
KrisKElem is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

I love it
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use it and all the stuff that goes with it. The note taking sheet and activities really help the kids get the most out of it. I'm not sure I'd pay out of pocket for it. Our school pays for it. I utilize it often!
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

vern250

Old 09-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district has a brainpopjr and brainpop account. I use for 3rd grade brainbobjr A LOT! Rarely do I use brainpop because it goes over students heads. Some of the brainbobjr is easy for third, but others are perfect. You have to pick and choose. I use it a lot for social studies and science.
vern250 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Brain Pop Jr.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I absolutely LOVE Brain Pop Jr. and so do my kids! I use it quite a bit in my classroom. It really gets their attention, while still being educational. The videos are organized nicely with good stopping points for discussion or notetaking. Some of the games are great for clarifying or checking for understanding too. I use the joke and the comic as a reward for the class when they have been attentive to what we are learning. I sometimes even use the online quizzes with whiteboards at the end or as a quick review. Occassionally, I'll print the quizzes and use them for an easy grade when times get desperate. I think our subscription will be running out after the first semester, and I am really hoping we will be able to renew it!

MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

2MuchFun

Public Library
Old 09-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our public library has a link on their Kid's Page that we can access with our library cards. We use it all the time. Another great site that is FREE is the Scholastic Study Jams. SJ has great presentations with "Try It" items AND karaoke songs on some of the topics. Our classes always love the Quadrilateral song!!
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote

SUJunior1124

Deffently Yes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love Brainpop and Brianpop jr. . They have great videos. I'm still a student teacher but i use both of them alot. It depends on the grade you teach about what subcribtion you get. I would suggest you find out if the county you work for might already have a account that they allow their teachers to use. I love using it and children love them. They are very educational. So yes i think it is more than worth it.
SUJunior1124 is offline   Reply With Quote