Help

Future Teachers

A Screaming Teacher

>

brifurness

A Screaming Teacher
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year my placement for student teaching is completely opposite from my experience last year. The students have attitudes about learning and towards the teachers, and the atmosphere is just completely different. Most of the time my teacher gets frustrated during her lessons and just screams at them or yells when they answer questions wrong. She has little patience, and I think her students notice that. They show her no respect, and learning becomes difficult for every. It is hard to see a good example from her, and my observed lessons are coming up. Do you think a more calmer approach will affect the students in a positive way, or is it a loss cause? Does anyone have any ideas on how to connect with the children in a positive way even if I am only there one day a week?

brifurness is offline   Reply With Quote

SUJunior1124

Try never hurts
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say you should alway try. There is no harm in trying out a positive approach. I would never say children are a lost cause. They may be harder to connect with since you are only one day a week; but i would try anyway. I would also suggest that you talk to your supervisor for the school about your concerns.
SUJunior1124 is offline   Reply With Quote

SUteach7

Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I definitely agree with SUjunior. The students are probably only reacting to the teacher. If I were a student and my teacher screamed, I wouldn't be perfect in response. I think speaking with your supervisor is a great idea. The teacher should not be screaming at her students, she needs to work on her behavioral management and overall control of the classroom. There should be no reason to scream!
SUteach7 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think that you were put in a no win situation. If the teacher doesn't have any procedures in place that are positive, despite you being kind and positive, I think it will be a struggle. How do I know this? From experience and from being placed in an urban environment during student teaching, plus subbing in Urban environments for two years. The ones that work, have teachers that are positive and firm. If you want to be a positive influence, that's great, but you will also have to be firm. You are the boss and the alpha and you will need to let them know that you are not there for nonsense and not there to play. Screaming isn't good, no, but you do need to have an "authoritative" tone. Does that make sense? This means "no you can't go get a drink" while you are talking. Don't let students walk up to you while you are giving directions or teaching the lesson. You don't have to call on every single person. You are there to do business, the business of learning. Being firm is the kindest thing you can do, because that means you are actually able to do some teaching. Good luck!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

rburns

You can do it!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That must be a very frustrating situation. I agree with the other posts, but also wanted to encourage you and remind you that you are not that teacher. While you are not getting a good example of what to do, you can learn what not to do. You know that she is not handling the situation correctly, but that does not mean that you have to be that way. The students know you are not her and if you treat them differently with respect and firmness they will treat you with respect in return.
Remember to have patience and encourage their participation in class. Just don't let them run the show. That is why you are there. It is not a lost cause to do the right thing. It never is. A calmer approach is def. the way to go!

rburns is offline   Reply With Quote

blynn7

Try try try!!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I definitely would try the different approach. Not only do our students learn differently, but teachers teach differently as well. I think teachers can be positive and negative role models for us. They can teach us what to do and not to do. I feel as if you treat the students with respect, they should realize that and treat you back with respect. These students like to play these types of games, just remind them whose in charge. You as an adult and their student teacher, not them.
blynn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

brifurness

Thank you!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you to everyone who replied! Your thoughts and comments were much appreciated! I do believe in positivity so I am definitely going to try that approach in my first lesson. In my lesson, I get to run the show so maybe if the students hear encouraging words and upbeat remarks they will respond better to me and look at me for guidance. Not having the best role model is extremely hard, but it is good to learn bad examples before I have my own classroom in the future. I teach next week so I will let everyone know how it goes! Wish me luck
brifurness is offline   Reply With Quote

rburns

Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes! Let us know. The students will respond better to you if you are encouraging, no doubt about it!
rburns is offline   Reply With Quote