Help

Second Grade

Phonics Lesson hurry help please

>

SUJunior1124

Phonics Lesson hurry help please
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to teach a phonics lesson to my second graders and I've never taught a phonics lesson before or seen one taught. Could anyone give an idea for a lesson plan. I have no clue what to do. I need to write my plan for my observation by monday. please help me.

SUJunior1124 is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so confused that I don't know where to start...

Are you a regular classroom teacher? And you've never taught phonemic awareness? How long have you been teaching?
DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

SUJunior1124

Education major
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a elementry education major; I am student teaching in my junior year. I need to teach a phonic lesson and I've never taught one before.

Song of Joy

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What to teach depends on what your students need. What are the other Second Grade teachers in your school doing for phonics right now? You could go to Spelling City and search until you find someone who has posted lists that are appropriate for Second Graders and phonetically based. You might teach short "a" vs. long "a", or beginning blends, or mid-word vowel combinations like oi vs. oy. There is no magic to teaching phonics, but the skills do build on one another. We're reviewing r influence vowels right now, for example, ar, er, ir, or, and ur words. You can sometimes find some catchy songs for some phonics rules on You tube. I've seen some cute ones for hard and soft c and g.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

What are the students reading?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Phonics lesson are really an important part of primary students' reading instruction. All of the basal reading programs have the lessons incorporated. It cannot be an isolated random thing. Your supervisor should tell you specifically what needs to be taught. BUT if your assignment is to simply teach a "phonics lesson" it is WIDE open!!! google "phonics lesson" and you will probably get a million hits. If you could find a story or text that illustrates the focus of your lesson it would be more meaningful! I agree with Song of Joy... vowels can be a fun lesson and the perfect place to start! I used "Mr. Long Vowel" and Ms. Short Vowel. He was crazy about long vowel words, while she only loved the short vowels. Students would sort words and put them on their clothes. Or you could have them make a book of long vowel words/ short vowel words.... OR you could collect short a & long a words/ pictures. Always good to have students find words that apply to the phonics lesson in their reading!

LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

SUJunior1124

Great Ideas
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks you so much! Those are some great ideas. Those will help me write my lesson plan. Thanks.