Help

Kindergarten

Help! First year in K- active class

>

2009jennifer

Help! First year in K- active class
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Its my first year in Kindergarten and I am overwhelmed. The students are all over the place. Very active, do not seem to understand that they are in Kindergarten to learn. I have three students with IEPs and two that will be addressed in an IEPs meeting. I am exhausted after teaching a lesson and the students did not grasp the material.

I need examples of how to get the students activily involved throught the entire lesson. ANYTHING! IDEAS PLEASE?

2009jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote

TDuck

Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello! First, I just want to say that my first day last week I felt very overwhelmed myself because I had way more children than usual (27 without an aid). However, the days have just gotten better because we are getting used to the routine.

In kindergarten, you really have to go over how to be in school. I have a few who have never been in school before. So, you have to go over how to sit on the carpet, sit at their table, raise their hands, listen to the teacher. I model how what it doesn't look like and what it doesn't look like. The students love when I show them what the behavior "doesn't" look like (I make it really silly) & they are so eager to show me what it does look like.

I also make sure that we do a lot of fun activities so that they are having fun while learning. My students LOVE to sing and dance. So, we will sing a lot of songs or play games while we are learning. We play a lot of games during math especially. I also try to make sure that we are not sitting in one place for too long. We will usually do a short, whole-group lesson on the rug. Then, we will get up to either do independent work at their seats or around the classroom.

I also make sure my students get to do a little "play (educational)" during guided reading time. I let my children choose what center they want to be in while I call over small groups. The children LOVE centers and will do anything to make sure that they get first pick. The students that do not behave throughout the day before guided reading time do not get to go to centers or only have a short amount of time in centers.

Kindergarten is definitely VERYY tiring in the beginning of the year! Just stick with it though because it is amazing how much they grow over the year. Keep going over the procedures and rules!
TDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with TDuck. Spend a great deal of time teaching the routine first (go slow now to go fast later). I also do a great deal of music and movement...it is hard to be still when you are 5. I would also make sure lessons are not too long for them. My first year I had great support from other teachers...if you can get support from experienced K team members I would do it and eventually you can take what they suggest and make it into a more "you" kinda thing.
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

2009jennifer

We have a lot in common! My class too!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have more children as well 25 with an aid I share between 3-4 other Kindergarten teachers, but I rarely see her. Some of my students are still not grasping the routine, but others are doing great.
We did activities to model what good behavior looks like. I love your idea about showing them what the behavior "doesn't" look like and making it silly! Thank you!

My students LOVE to sing and dance as well! They also get bored quickly from repetition so I really have to switch it up and have plenty of tricks in my hat!

Love the little "play (educational)" during guided reading time!!! Such wonderful ideas you have!

Center choices are another great tip!

Thank you soooo much for your help!

-Jennifer

2009jennifer

One more question!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So, is it too much for my Kindergartens to follow multi-step directions?

Like, raise your hand when you are finished with your work so I can stamp your paper, then place your papers in your mailboxes and sit quietly on the carpet with a book until I call you too get your lunchboxes.

Is this too much for them? Because the students get very lost it seems when I give more than a two directions at one time, but I was informed that I need to teach them how to carry out multiple step directions. They also need to read 4-5 step direction with pictures for one of the reading centers.

SUJunior1124

Try This
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would just break your directions into less complicated words and smaller parts.
SUJunior1124 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeffie

multi directions
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I give more than one direction and especially 2-3 steps, I ask a student that might have the hardest time to answer-what do you do 1st? another child what do you do next? etc. for the review of steps. EX. when I call their name to pass out papers, I ask them to get their folder, put their paper in their folder and then put their folder in their backpack. I ask a student that listens very well and can follow the directions to do it 1st. Oh did you see how Madolyn(one of my great listeners) did .... who thinks they can do that? I pass out papers this way and now it's the routine and we don't have to review anymore and it goes very quickly. Although anytime I give multi step directions I review this way. What will you do 1st? What will you do next? etc.
jeffie is online now   Reply With Quote

2009jennifer

Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you Jeffie for the helpful tips! I love the idea of asking "What will you do 1st!" That is something I have heard other teachers do before I just didnt think about it because the lack of following directions has been pretty caiotic compared to previous years. But, it is getting better!

Again,

Thank you for the helpful advise.