Help

New Teachers

Is calling in sick a mistake?

>

ElizabethJoy

Is calling in sick a mistake?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new teacher this year, and since I started my job 3 months ago I haven't taken any time off.

This morning is the last day of term for us. I woke up feeling sick- not dying sick, but sick enough- with inflamed and painful sinus' and a cough.

Also, my dog ingested poison last night. I took him in to the clinic and we did the whole making him vomit thing but the vet wanted me to bring him in today for a blood test to double check he's alright.

So with those two things combined, I decided to take the day off today. Now I'm worried it was a mistake, and I feel sick with guilt.

My administrator was -not rude- but also not his usual warm self when I called him this morning. I'm worried I have committed a terrible faux pas by taking the last day before holidays. I don't think I thought it through because I just felt so awful this morning & I barely slept last night due to the poison incident and my sore throat.

So my questions are: do you usually feel guilty for taking a sick day? Is it unacceptable to take the last day of term? Could this affect my chances at getting permanency? (Please say no!)

Basically, I'd like someone to talk me out of regretting my decision so I can just relax and actually enjoy this day

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it varies from school to school how frowned upon sick days are. I also think a less than warm response could just be him thinking, "ugh, now I have to find a sub. I've got a meeting at 7:30. I'm running late." And so on. In other words, nothing to do with you, except that you're one more thing on his plate.

I don't feel guilty for taking sick days (though I average 1 a year). What I feel is stressed about sub plans and picking up after returning.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

No way!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never feel guilty for taking sick days, especially when I am actually sick! Also, if you have a doctor's note, then do not worry! But like a previous post mentioned, it all varies from school to school. In my school, taking a sick day on Friday, Monday or on the last day of a long break or the first day after the break is not a good ides, but if you are genuinely sick, and have a doctor's note, then who cares. In NYC, not sure about NYS, teachers earn one sick day a month. They can take this day and do not have to provide any sort of documentation. If they are sick for two or more days, they have to provide a doctor's note. I have been sick a lot this year but I have always had doctor's notes. So, if it is possible for you to obtain a doctor's note, do so.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I started teaching if I thought I was going to be out sick I was literally up all night worrying about it (not the way to make yourself feel better when you're already sick). But over the years I've realized that while I don't do it ALL the time if you're legitimately sick it's okay to stay home. Honestly, some days I feel like if I'm that sick I'm really of no use to anyone so I'm better off staying home and recovering then picking things back up the next day. Also, you need to take care of yourself so if you need the day then you should take it. I agree with pp that it could have been about stress of finding a sub etc. that caused the response you got. I think making sure you have plans just in case helps take a little stress off. Also, if I really am that sick I try to call the night before to allow for more time to find a sub. Like recently I came down with the stomach bug right after school. There was NO way I was going to feel better by the AM so I just called in that night and explained.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Foundations

Not a Mistake!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The school gives you sick days because everybody gets sick! Do not feel guilty for using them! Just try to give your principal enough notice for him/her to find a sub. (My principal requests that we call him by 5:30.) Your principal probably didn't look forward to calling a sub, but that is his job- and we all have elements of our jobs we do not like. So use sick days when you need them. I found I don't use too many because I hate making sub plans and playing catch-up, but if I'm sick, it's best to stay at home!

Foundations is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks everyone! I actually got a lovely email from my AP that made me feel tons better. She thanked me for sending in work and said she hoped I'd feel better soon.

I agree with you all, it is a pain to send in work and it was equally painful to see the parts of my plans not followed. (Not that I blame the sub, she is wonderful and I think things came up because it was the last day of term)

Quote:
think it varies from school to school how frowned upon sick days are. I also think a less than warm response could just be him thinking, "ugh, now I have to find a sub. I've got a meeting at 7:30. I'm running late." And so on. In other words, nothing to do with you, ]
I think you were right about this Gromit.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

That's what sick days are for.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm amazed that your principal gets the sub for you! We have to find our own subs. There's a computer system, but we're required to input everything, and call for a sub if no one picks up the job in the system.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 07-01-2016, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't feel guilty for taking a sick day! That's what they are there for. I always make it a point to only take them when I really need them. Then, when I end up needing them, the principal is less likely to be annoyed with you. (Nobody wants a teacher who constantly calls in).

A personal preference of mine: I hate calling in sick. Not because I feel guilty, but because I hate making sub plans, and having to come back to chaos sometimes. So I only do it if I absolutely have to.

But don't feel guilty. Use the day to feel better!!!
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

missamanda_20

Old 02-26-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Take care of yourself first
missamanda_20 is offline   Reply With Quote