Help

BusyBoard

After school tutoring job advice

>

MsBTexas

After school tutoring job advice
Old 07-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hoping some of you have worked extra tutoring jobs or second jobs after school so I can get some advice!

So, I've been offered a part-time position at a tutoring center near my school. In order to accept the position, I have to be able to commit to at least two evenings a week (4:30-7 p.m.) and every other Saturday (8-12). The hours aren't necessarily what bugs me if I'm honest. What bugs me is that at the very end of my interview, the owner said it only starts at $12 an hour (a review every 6 months to potentially make more). I'm not trying to sound snooty at all--but I feel like most tutoring pays more than that from what I've seen at other places.

Now, I've never had a second job outside of my district if I'm honest. I have in the past worked extra duty here and there (tutoring on Saturdays and Thursday school for kids making up credit). But that has always been for $20-$30 an hour each time! Obviously those hours are never guaranteed though, so for any extra money, I can't really depend on it--as it's all about volunteering at the right time before other teachers get to volunteering before you!

Specifics about this tutoring job are-- I don't have to prep anything they said. I also don't have to talk to parents. It's only 10 minutes from my school and 13 minutes from my house. It is three students to every 1 teacher. They said they're pretty flexible since their teachers are all teaching in the district too, as long as you let them know there are times you need off.

I'm not strapped for cash, but hey, who can't use extra money in this profession?

What do you think? Worth the effort?

MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Short answer, no. Long answer--I'm guessing this is someplace like Kumon or Mathnasium or something like that. They have a set curriculum that you must use, whether it's appropriate or useful for the specific student. As a result, they don't require a ton of training. (As an example, my DD, who was then 18, got a summer job teaching at Mathnasium. She was a rising college sophomore. After training, all she had to do was walk around among the students, monitor their work, and hand out stickers.) If possible, you should look for private tutoring jobs where you can charge what your experience is worth.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yep- itís not true teaching, so you need to figure out if itís what you want to do. My old roommate used to teach elementary reading at one of those centers- her real job was middle school Home Ec. I knew she wasnít equipped to be tutoring 1st grade reading, so Iíve always kinda disliked any of those programs when parents use them.

Itís nice that you donít have to prep, but to me, I wouldnít do it for that amount.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
it only starts at $12 an hour (a review every 6 months to potentially make more). I'm not trying to sound snooty at all--but I feel like most tutoring pays more than that from what I've seen at other places
I am gonna say NO! I live in a very expensive area though and 12 is minimum wage. It might be better elsewhere?

I tutored privately and set my own cost based on the demand of the tutoring. If its just homework help and a little one on one helping them write paper I only charge 25 an hour. IF its serious remediation for a far below grade level student I charge 35-40. I know other people who charge more.

yes with private tutoring you aren't given supplies or lessons, you have to find your own students, and people often want to drop in and out based on their personal schedule and extra curricular. This means sometimes its not as dependable and a little more work but at least I am being compensated at a rate that isnt insulting. I am not a high school student for crying out loud.

I did work for 12.50 an hour as a respite car worker-for me it was worth it because I needed some time away from kids and education but if you are doing something similar to what you get paid a lot more for it seems insulting to me pay someone so much less. I feels like it devalues your skill level.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did after school tutoring at Huntington for awhile. I got paid a little more because I was doing ACT prep. I loved working one on one with high school kids (it was a nice change of pace), but if the kids didn’t show I got nothing even though they charged a missed session fee.

In the end it wasn’t worth the crappy pay. I certainly wouldn’t do it for $12/hour.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No way. I tutor through my district. I get paid $46 per hour. I don't have to deal with parents- other than when they sign their kid out for the night, and if they have any concerns I refer them to our coordinator person. We use an intervention program that is very easy to follow, requires no real advance planning and very little prep time (I spend maybe 5 minutes during the school day gathering up the materials we'll use).

I know I could make even more doing private tutoring, but I don't really know how to get clients. I also don't want to deal with finding/paying for my own materials, dealing with parents/collecting money, dealing with no shows or people who are late, ridiculous complaints, etc. To me it's worth it that the materials are right there, I already know most of the students, and I don't have to commute anywhere else.

I only did 1 hour per day, 3 hours per week. Honestly, that was plenty for me. Teaching is already pretty exhausting- I can't imagine doing it for the hours you posted, especially getting up and spending a half day teaching on Saturdays. I'd have to be making MAJOR money to even consider that. For $12 per hour? That's downright insulting. Even if you earn the raise in 6 months, how much more is it going to be? Nowhere near what you're worth.

I would say that if you really wanted a second job, for that kind of money I'd just get some sort of non-teaching job so at least you're getting to do something different. I have a teacher friend who works at Starbucks and loves it. If you're not strapped for cash though, IDK why you'd be looking into a second job. Sure, extra fun money is nice, but not if you have no time/are too exhausted to go out and enjoy it!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Haley23 - just responding to your last couple of sentences here: While I'm not strapped, I would like to get a second job just to help chip away at a debt that I have from my dog receiving bone marrow disease treatment the past couple of years! It's not an absolute need to get one, as I can make payments like normal, but I do have the time and was just starting to look into things!

I'm glad I'm not crazy though! I was balking at the pay and my non-teacher friends and boyfriend don't quite get why. They're more of the "try it and see if you like it" mentality with it!
MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Eh, I donít know. I might try it out and see how it goes. It doesnít seem like a ton of work or commitment. You wonít be making a ton of cash, probably only what, $200-250 a month? Thats enough to pay off a bill or two or have some fun money.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

No way!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If I were you, I would try privately tutoring some students instead. Many schools will have a list (with guidance?) of teachers who are open to tutoring and will give parents the information when requested. You can also post on Craigslist or Nextdoor. Parents are willing to pay pretty well for good tutors, depending on the level or subject that you teach. My colleagues in the math department charge an average of $50/hour but I think about the lowest anyone charges around here is $30/hour. You could find 2-3 students and make the same as working all of those hours!
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm guessing its Kumon. Most tutoring centers pay minimum wage but they are usually employing high school or college students.

I would attempt to negotiate your pay. The owner can advertise tutoring by a credentialed teacher and that will bring in more clients.

At a tutoring center you have a steady income. You can make more per hour on your own but that income fluctuates. I charge $30-40 per hour for private tutoring whic is great income when I have several clients but this time of year I have no one and will not until 6 weeks into the school year when the first progress reports come out.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote