Help

The VENT

Update: I did it!

>

MrsPhysics

Update: I did it!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have posted here before about being miserable at my current job, and in my last post I told how I sent an email to one of my principals basically saying that if we couldnít have a discussion about my future that I would be leaving. Well, her response was something to the effect of I let the higher-ups know but thereís nothing we can do at this point in the year. So...I resigned!

Interestingly enough, the superintendent sent a quick note back about wish she could do something but her hands are tied by the contract (this is BS) and hate to lose you, but there has been complete silence from my 4 principals and the assistant super. It is so weird to be seeing them in the hallways and there is no acknowledgement of the fact that Iím leaving at all.

I gave 60 days since the holidays count in there and I donít want a complaint against me, even though Iím not really expecting to find a teaching job. It is so freeing! There is so much toxicity around, and it just feels so good to not have any fís to give about it. I said what I have always wanted to say about our discipline system and how it is not working and I am done giving up all of my planning and lunch time dealing with a group of students who have caused problems since day one. I donít feel the constant pressure to have perfect lessons that the admin could stop in and see at any time. I am not worried anymore that all of my brightest students are leaving the district for better schools, leaving me with a group that will probably not do that well on the state testing.

I am sure that at some point I will feel sadness and a sense of loss over not teaching anymore. But honestly, my job didnít provide any of the things that I always loved about teaching anyway. I think I have been grieving the loss of that career slowly over the last years, and at least for the moment there is only relief.

MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am happy for you. I would think science and your background would be in demand. But if you are done with teaching, be thankful for all the good there was and the good you did. It is still a noble profession. good luck
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-17-2019, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sadly I think this is what is going to happen before education gets a turn around. All the experienced teachers that can get results are going to have to leave.

I hope that you do find something in return that is satisfying and works for you. The peace of mind is definitely worth the decision. Too many of us are killing ourselves working way too hard.

I left the classroom last year and LOVE my job this year. I am afraid, however, that this next year my position will not be available. Trying to decide now if I can go back in a classroom - which would be my only option to stay at my school. Or I could probably find a similar position with a 30 minute drive, but I would be working with a different population and the job would look very different from what I do now. I sure hope I am worrying for nothing.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think thatís fantastic. I dying to quit but I canít do it without another job. I have interviews, but Iím not hopeful.

I do think with your science background you could go wherever you wanted.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Mrsphysics
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It does sound freeing....and a healthy choice. Staying around toxic people isnít good for the soul.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 11-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congratulations! I hope you find something you love very soon.

Quote:
But honestly, my job didnít provide any of the things that I always loved about teaching anyway. I think I have been grieving the loss of that career slowly over the last years
This is how I feel every single day.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Congrats!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You did what many wanted to do over the yrs, but were either afraid to or couldn't afford to do. Working in a place w/ so many demands is not healthy.
I really "get you" about you feel like you have already grieved your loss. I had enough a long time ago. This yr, I got a cushy position, but next yr, it would be back to the classroom if I stayed.
I am hoping I have enough to retire and be done w/ it all. I love to teach kids who are open to learning, but am sick of how the system has changed. The inmates run the asylum nowadays. I really do not want any part of it.
Best of luck. I think you made a good life decision.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Me too.

Congratulations on making a decision that brings you peace. Wishing you the best in your new adventures!
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So glad it worked out for you!
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

quitting
Old 11-17-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good for you! Let us know where you end up. I know so many on here want to quit but don't know what to do with their degrees.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Emily 26...

Maybe it’s that some kids are not cut out for the expectations of a classroom. Or some principals are not cut out for leading. Or some parents are not cut out for raising kids. Or some admins are not cut out for making tough but sensible decisions. I wouldn’t assume that MrsPhysics’ leaving the profession is going to result in a positive educational experience for her students.
apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Emily26...

Wow! That was rude!

MrsPhysics' current and previous posts tell me she is a highly effective and conscientious teacher who was hired for one job and then pushed into a job split she never signed up for.

I'm so impressed that MrsPhysics took the bull by the horns and made a decision that was best for her and her family. That in no way means she is "just not cut out for teaching" or that her students have not had "a positive educational experience".
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 11-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So happy for you! Best wishes!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Good luck
Old 11-17-2019, 11:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I envy you! I'm also looking at giving notice at my job and I wish I had the courage to tell my Principal why I'm actually leaving. I'm very cowardly though
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Thank you everyone
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement! I realize that I am very lucky to have the means and support to quit my job. I wish that fewer teachers felt stuck in their positions. Just about every teacher I work with is wanting to quit but many feel like they have to stick it out until they at least hit an early retirement date. One of my coworkers was in tears with me today while discussing that sheís not sure if she can do it any longer.

Emily26 - not sure if you read any of my previous posts but I am an excellent teacher who has always gone above and beyond for my students. Teaching is a second career for me, and one that I am passionate about. But the career has not been good to me. First, 7 years of searching for a permanent job, always getting great performance reviews but never being at the right place and right time. I entered the market at the worst possible time (2011 in western PA saw hundreds of teachers furloughed and everyone on a hiring freeze) and I believe that I was a victim of age and fat discrimination after the job market turned around.

I finally landed a job and was so happy the first year, but unfortunately I was blindsided with a forced ďtemporaryĒ move to mostly MS computer courses from what was full time HS math. I tried my darndest to make it work. I just needed to know that I was not going to be permanently stuck in the wrong school and wrong subject, and they were completely unwilling to discuss my future.

I put in 60 days notice, which in theory should give the district plenty of time to find a replacement. However, this school typically has a lot of trouble filling positions, and it wouldnít surprise me at all if they canít find a replacement at all this year. For the studentsí sake I really do hope that they do!
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote