Help

The VENT

non renewal

>

marlenag62

non renewal
Old 12-31-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A sped student accused me of pushing him. I was placed out the classroom for two days while they investigated. When my principal called me in to relay the message, she stated that she was going to recommend a nonrenewal. I said, “well I will just resign”. She said, “I won’t accept that”. The next day I spent one day in the library and I took one sick day. When I asked them, how the investigation went they told me that some kids agreed with the sped student and others did not. I told them that I never touched the student. My principal said “Remember what I told you what might happen in February. This time she stated this in front of my Assistant Principal. She asked me what I needed. I said “I need in class support on a consistent basis. She said “unfortunately social studies do not have in class support every day, I have several children in this classroom who should have in class support which has not happened on consistent basis. When I had my formal observation, my principal scored me very low. I thought it went well but she kept referring to my other classes. I was not surprised. When I had my post observation, my principal bent over backwards to accommodate me. She offered me a soft drink. There was not mention of nonrenewal. She asked me what my goals were for January and February. She asked if I wanted to discuss my observation. I said that I would respond in writing. A day later, our principal announced that she was taking a position as an Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction this semester. I had planned on writing a letter of resignation to avoid a nonrenewal but now I am not sure. I have had an ear infection for two months and have spent my entire Christmas break trying to recover. I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advise for me. I am extremely stressed and physically worn down

marlenag62 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-31-2019, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don’t know your whole situation so I’m just throwing some questions out there for you to consider.

1) So you have tenure?
2) Do you have a union? Are they involved?
3) Is DCFS involved in the pushing? If so that will change everything.
4) Has your principal actually finished your evaluation or will she before she leaves? If she doesn’t finish your eval who will? Will it go better for you if someone else finishes it?
5) Do these students have para minutes that aren’t being met due to the lack of support?
6) Can you transfer within the district?
7) Are there other districts near you where you can get another job? I’ve found that non-renewals don’t cause a problem near me. What’s the situation by you?
8) Can you start getting letters of rec now?
9) I’m assuming you’re a SpEd teacher. I’ve found districts are hurting for SpEd teachers. I bet you could resign now and find something this year. Something to consider.

Just some things to think about. Your health, mental and physical, are more important than a job. But, if your P is leaving is the person taking over going to be more friendly?
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Surly

Unfortunately,
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The actual facts of what happened are completely irrelevant. The administrators know you didn’t do it, but they’re pretending to believe the kid because it’s the politically expedient thing to do. This happens everywhere. I’d be doing whatever you can (getting letters, etc.) and applying for other jobs like crazy. If your state is anything like mine, you’ll have little trouble finding another job because nonsense like this has chased many people out of education, so there aren’t many applicants to compete with.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

marlenag62

Old 01-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a member of ATPE. My principal has finished my observation. I believe that the observation is ongoing meaning they can go back and make changes based on informal observations. My principal did my observation which went well and then she came in my worst class with the sped children minus my para and stayed almost the entire class. She knew that this was my problem class as it what the class with the sped children. I am not sure if i can transfer because my principal said earlier that she would not allow me to transfer. I suggested transferring to a High School and she said she would not sign off on it. Yes the students have para minutes that are not being met. In fact, there are districts closer to me and I have started applying within the district. I have received glowing references from my former chair and coworkers from my district. Also, I have attached a recommendation letter to one of my job applications from a retired administrator of one of the districts close to my home. I am not a sped teacher. I have a Sped Supplemental certification. I appreciate your feedback.

marlenag62

Old 01-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with you, I have received references from my former chair and my coworkers and i had one recommendation letter. I have been applying for jobs. I think i will ask for recommendation letters from my sped coordinator. I have lost confidence in myself. I hope you are right about not having a problem finding a job. thanks so much for your feedback.

marlenag62

Surly's message
Old 01-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you. I have been applying like crazy collecting references, i have one recommendation letter from a retired administrator from one of the districts close to my home(i worked as a long term sub). I live in Texas (i am over 55) and I hope you are right about having little trouble finding another job. This is pure nonsense. Thanks again for your feedback.

ZipLine

Atpe
Old 01-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you have not reached out to ATPE for support, please do so. They’ll be able to guide you and answer your questions.

https://www.atpe.org/en/Protection
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

marlenag62

Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

DCF was not involved at all. In fact, I had to contact the student's mom involved in the allegation because i gave him a N in conduct. The mother questioned me because she said no one had contacted her. I stated that i could not speak to that and that I did not speak to that. Thank you for your input.

marlenag62

ZipLine
Old 01-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have contacted ATPE ( and will stay in contact) but as i am home on holiday break I wanted some educators perspective. Thank you.

Summerwillcom

Your post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

really poes me about the abuse of power. I'd start emailing that P, "As we discussed 4 x, ___ children are not being given their sped minutes during my class. "
Then I'd copy it w/ her no response ( because she will not reply via email) and turn her butt in because she is throwing you under the bus. I am sorry you are dealing w/ such garbage.
P's are given power to destroy or make careers and it seems like their are a lot out there lately who are choosing to do the 1st.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-02-2020, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Wow, a P who already knows you'll be non renewed, won't seem to help but won't let you transfer??? What's up with that

I'm glad you're being proactive and getting out of there. Good luck!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

marlenag62

Old 01-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have had 2 other meetings. The next one she said" Remember what we talked about that might happen". The last one- my post observation, she was overly nice and was complimentary. She said "Lets discuss your goals in January and February. We did. The next day, she made an announcement after school in the library that she would be accepting a Assistant Super. of Curriculum and Instruction this Spring semester etc etc.

hikinghiker

I'm seconding that
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Non-renewels don't mean much where I'm at either. Granted, I'm in Nevada where there's crazy teacher shortages, but no one would blink twice at a non-renewed. I'd ask around your area and job forums there (if there are any) to see how non-renewals are treated there.
hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote