Help

The VENT

What do you think

>

bruinsfan

What do you think
Old 02-14-2020, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was told in December that I did not have to do my circle time due to our pageant. I get it. I work with my director (she is a head teacher in the room I work in). She told me to look for ideas for Nursery Rhymes for January for circle time. I researched and find cute ideas. I was very excited about it too. I only had a chance to do one of my circle times for Nursery Rhymes. I was upset. She never gave me guidelines what to plan. Then we did Chinese New Year... I submitted ideas but she came back and said I got it. Then I submitted her ideas for our Pet/Vet unit in February early so I had time to change my ideas. Guess what she said no for my circle time ideas. I even had ideas for Valentine's and she still said no. I don't get it. Then today (we are on school vacation next week) I asked her, do you want me to do anything over vacation. She said "N0, have fun and enjoy your vacation" what do you think? I don't know why she is being so mean to me about curriculum. She never tells me what she plans for her circle time either so I had no idea what I should do. She also told me before this (Oct./Nov) to make my story time to become more interactive which I did. She told me before Thanksgiving break that I was really getting it and your family now. I submit her my ideas over the weekend for her to approve or disapprove but she never responds back. She loves talking behind my back and is very chummy with our assistant teacher in the classroom. She told me to work on communication with her but its hard because she is always talking to the assistant. Everytime I try to say anything she is like its not time. BTW this is my first year teaching at this school. I have been teaching over 25 yrs and I feel so useless this year. What would you do?

bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

What is your job description?
Old 02-15-2020, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you co-teaching with her? if so, especially given your experience of over 25 years, I find it strange that you have to go to her for approval of your ideas. And this is even more true since she isn't sharing her planning with you. If you are an assistant, that would be different. You aren't working as a team right now.

I would schedule an actual meeting with her at a time convenient for you both, and I would honestly lay out my concerns, especially about communicating with her. I would tell her it is difficult to communicate with her because she is always talking to the assistant. I would also review your actual job description. It sounds like she wants to be in control, but then why have a second teacher plus an assistant teacher in the room?

I would also possibly consider finding another job. Working with her might not be the right place for you. Good luck. I hope the situation improves.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry you are having to deal with situation. It's got to be stressful.
Can you again request (through an email) that you can have some sit down time so you can better understand her expectations for circle time. An email will give you the documentation needed that you are doing your part to communicate.

You need to know exactly how far in advance she wants your plans for circle time, so that if a lesson is not approved, you have time to change it. Ask her to give you some written guildlines. Write them down if she gives them to you orally and have her check them. Ask if you need a set scheduled planning time to go over circle time plans with her to get her approval, if she is wanting approval each time.

You need to make the above requests in an email so you have documentation that you are indeed communicating with her. When you submit your ideas over the weekend, request in your email that she respond with an approval-some type of response to hold her accountable/and that you get proof that she is reading your ideas.

You need to have some solid proof that you are doing your part in submitting ideas, that you are communicating, etc. So that if she complains about lack of communication,you have proof. Each time she responds to your request for communication with "it's not time", ask right then for a time that would be good. If she gives no reply, follow up with a request for time in an email to her. When you get a chance write down the dates and exact time she responded with that "it's not time" remark and how you requested a different communication time.

It might be the case that she is insecure about you having more experience than you and nothing will please her. Or it might be that she is not comfortable with turning over any teacher making lesson plans/decisions because she thinks her ideas are better than anyone else's ideas-she might like to be in control.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-15-2020, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
What would you do?
I'd be looking for another job! That is ridiculous! You have 25 years experience, yet are being treated like a student teacher!

No way. No how.

Sorry you have to deal with this. I'd have zero respect for this person and would have a very hard time working with her. Honestly, I'd have quit already. Kudos to you for trying so hard to make it work!

Keep us posted!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-15-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Time for a sit down to clarify expectations. Maybe she's not used to having someone with experience and doesn't know how to use your skills effectively. Maybe she doesn't like giving up control. Whatever it is, you need to ask exactly what she expects so that you aren't frustrated and doing more work than necessary.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote