Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Stimulus checksóplease spend them!

>

amiga13

Stimulus checksóplease spend them!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM

Please spend your stimulus checks to help our faltering economy. I read many of you are putting the money in savingsóI might be tempted to do the same were I to receive one. But the goal is to stimulate the economy. A synonym for stimulate is encourage; I encourage you to help our economy by spending, or better yet as some of you are doing, donating it to the needy. Please help.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 04-15-2020, 06:46 AM

I didn't get one to spend. I didn't qualify. Dh and I are both still getting paid so I'd rather it go to someone who needs it. I've been doing plenty of online shopping to stimulate the economy
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 04-15-2020, 06:52 AM

The only reason I am moving it to savings is that I can't spend it right now. I am buying furniture with it. I need the store to be open so I can see exactly what I am buying. But don't worry- It will be spent.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-15-2020, 06:55 AM

Iím spending some and saving some. Paying off some bills, saving some and I really need a new couch.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Clothing sales...
Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 AM

There have been some fantastic clothing sales lately. I shop Talbots, Chicos and Chicos-Off-The-Rack. They have had sales between 30 and 60% off lately. Today, I got a trench coat I needed that I had my eye on at Talbots for $59.60. Originally, it was $189. Usually, these sales, if they have them, are much later in the season when things are picked over and you don't have the size or color selection you do now.

I do think that some people will need to save that money, or apply it to basic necessities, and that is certainly okay. Initially, I would not be getting a check if it was based on the 2018 return, but with the 2019 returns, I qualified since none of my teaching salary was factored in. I am also hoping to use some of it to pay for some home improvements that will employ someone.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 AM

Ours is going to help pay toward a new roof!

We hired my nephew who has his own company and he has not had much work lately.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Does paying my property taxes count
Old 04-15-2020, 07:02 AM

as stimulating the economy? Because that is what I will be using it for, if I ever actually get it.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

who got the stimulus already?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:03 AM

I didn't. But irs didn't take out the money I owe either.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

Planning on it
Old 04-15-2020, 07:04 AM

We came up with some outside projects we wanted to do last year at our house but never got around to doing. So, our plan is to make a new patio area for our fire pit that we got 4 years ago for a wedding present instead of trying to keep up a garden.

Also, we need to re-stain our deck and seal up the driveway so money will go to that too. If there's anything left, we might finally buy a Nintendo Switch .

Of course, our stimulus check hasn't come yet so hopefully in the next couple of days it will be here.
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 AM

I got mine today... I filed my taxes for 2019 the first week it opened up to be able to do so.

Iím doing a combination of things with mine. Some is being donated, some to buy a few things, and a chunk in savings.

While yes Iím still getting paid my full salary (thus why I donated a large portion), we donít know what next school year will bring though as far as budget cuts and starting school on time. We also donít get paid over the summer so I need to be prepared for that and this extra helps. So, if we were to start school late (Iím praying we donít)... it could be months without a paycheck.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 04-15-2020, 07:13 AM

I have a future needs for this money that I am saving for. I am also going to help family members if needed. Not spending it on myself now. I am also donating to a food bank. I stimulated the economy yesterday by buying a gift for my pregnant niece.

Last edited by JanetL; 04-15-2020 at 08:08 AM..
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Stimulus checks
Old 04-15-2020, 07:19 AM

I think I might give mine to oldest DH... she doesnít get paid during summer, her DH might be getting laid off at the end of May, they seriously have to think about moving, and she is pregnant.

I would like to give some of it to my housekeepers.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Me
Old 04-15-2020, 07:23 AM

I'm planning on spending mine too. Not sure on what, but I have a few ideas:

-New Cell Phone
-New Couch
-New Mattress

Maybe I can get a new phone and one or the other, couch or mattress!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-15-2020, 07:27 AM

For those of you who donít believe me, look at one headline from today:
Quote:
Stocks tumble amid historic declines in retail sales, manufacturing
And another point, many teacher retirement funds, like my CalSTRS, have our money invested. IMO teachers should want the Stock Market to recover so that their pensions are safe.

Even if you donít have your own money invested, IMO you would be wise to want the Market to recover.

Just my opinion.

Dr. A

Not spending money now-No Place To Shop or Go
Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Please spend your stimulus checks to help our faltering economy.
I got my stimulus this morning

Due to COVID-19 & shelter in place There is no place/way for me to spend money now. All fun places are closed.

Iím saving my money until I am able to have fun-

when malls & Disney World opens for vacationing

I believe each persons knows how to save or spend his/her money in a manner that best suits their individual situation.

Whether it is saving or spending,

I encourage people to do what he/she wants with their stimulus money.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Stimulus
Old 04-15-2020, 07:55 AM

My check will pay for my knee surgery. Iím happy for the help.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 AM

Well, before all this happened, we had several things around the house we were planning to do. This stimulus money will probably cover having the house painted, but I don't think we can do that right now. So I will be putting it into savings until we can proceed with that.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-15-2020, 08:03 AM

I have bought some clothes and a new bathing suit online. I shop mostly online anyway.

As far as Disney— if you wanted to spend now you could always buy a gift card.
Side note— Though, living in Orlando I did read somewhere that Disney could be closed for two years before they start losing money... which I found quite interesting!

I bought a few gift cards to spend later to local, family owned, places when this all first started. And I’ve ordered food from smaller businesses in the past few weeks as well.

We are in a stay at home order but all lawn and maintenance companies are allowed to operate. My townhouses started being power washed and painted last week and continue for the next two months based on buildings.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 AM

If I had any hope that the government will let things return to somewhat normal in the next year to year and a half, I would spend. Since I donít trust that to happen, ours will sit in our savings account to prepare for the oncoming financial meltdown.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 AM

never mind

Last edited by Gromit; 04-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: don't want to end up on politics board
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

postteacher

We are!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:36 AM

We are using ours to support some of our family owned local restaurants.
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-15-2020, 08:39 AM

I thought the point of the stimulus checks was to help people who have lost their jobs, not just save the stock market. Many people I know are going to use that money for basic things, like paying the rent or buying groceries.

I had an emergency plumbing repair that this check is going to cover. And I'll probably put the leftover in savings, because I am genuinely worried about having a job next year.

Big picture: Our retirement shouldn't be tied to the stock market. When it crashes (and it seems to do that often) people lose significantly when they can least afford it. My mother tried to retire right when the market crashed in '08. She lost thousands, with no way to earn more income. She struggled financially for a long time. I wish we would make social security more robust instead of forcing people to rely on what is effectively a gamble.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Unless we can figure something out, we wonít receive ours for months because my husband likes to do it the old fashioned way and mail in a paper return. They are not going to be processing paper returns at this time and may not get to them for months.

We are considering re-doing our taxes online since they wonít see our paper form anyway. The amount we will get will cover the money my husband would have made with Uber for a month or so. I donít know what we will do with it yet.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-15-2020, 09:12 AM

If you know what youíre going to use it for but are just waiting for the store or restaurants to (hopefully) re-open, you can get a gift card now. Gives them the money now and you can shop later.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 04-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I thought the point of the stimulus checks was to help people who have lost their jobs, not just save the stock market. Many people I know are going to use that money for basic things, like paying the rent or buying groceries.
You're right - for folks that have lost employment/wages, this check is meant to help cover basic costs.

I think Amiga was taking into consideration that there are many teachers still receiving normal paychecks and we (myself included) might not "need" the check in the same way others do. So what should we do with that money? And to that end, using it to make purchases that support our local economies might be the prudent thing to do.

To support my neighborhood I bought a new pair of shoes from a little store that I love and is trying to stay in business. When my husband rolled his eyes at *another* shoe box, I got to say, "But it's for the economy!" Best excuse I've ever had! We're also donating some to a local food bank, and purchasing/installing a new kitchen faucet from a local plumbing store.

And, because I'm already on my soapbox, Amazon is fine. They don't need our money. Our local business do. I know Amazon is a necessity for some things right now, but putting that money back into the places where we live could really help some folks.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I believe each persons knows how to save or spend his/her money in a manner that best suits their individual situation.
Our economy needs some help, but I do agree with Dr. A, and I think that people will do what best suits their individual situation.

Quote:
If I had any hope that the government will let things return to somewhat normal in the next year to year and a half, I would spend. Since I don’t trust that to happen, ours will sit in our savings account to prepare for the oncoming financial meltdown
Englishish also makes a good point here. I imagine this very fear among many people will drive their decision making on whether or not to save or spend their check.

May we all feel free to make our own decisions on what to do with this check, if we receive one.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

Stimulate OUR economy!!
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Buy AMERICAN products NOT other things from other countries!!
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Good point, SeaGlass, I'm so very much aware of this now when I consider spending money!!

I research the company to see where the products are made. Some countries, other than the USA, are a NO DEAL for me!

I hope our country will return to making more products right here in the USA.
As a matter of fact, that was a major must when furniture was recently purchased. It had to be made in the USA.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM

Well, I'm planning to spend at the same rate that I normally do. My charitable giving is already fairly extensive, but I may bump that up. I have a family member who has been hit pretty hard financially so I'm looking to free up some $ in case I need to float a loan in the coming months.

I am in a state that has a fully-funded retirement system and that has a long-range investment plan. We are told that our slight bump in benefits scheduled for next month is still on and that we don't need to be anxious about our pensions.

My yearly evaluation said I'm recommended for rehire but I'm going to wait until I have a contract in hand before I assume anything. So, if my stimulus $ arrive before my contract, it will definitely go into savings until I have a good picture of what next year will look like.

I have a couple of home improvement expenditures in the works and I plan to move forward with those.

I'm not going to go buy things I don't really need in order to stimulate the economy.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

LucyDoo

Old 04-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Whether it is saving or spending,

I encourage people to do what he/she wants with their stimulus money.
Those of us with a furloughed spouse have to save the money. My family does anyway. Not everyone is in a position to donate. Thumbs up to those who can, but many if not most cannot do so. We have a mortgage to pay. Car payments to make. We didn't plan on cutting our income so drastically. Sorry economy and stock market and teacher pensions. We are just trying to survive.
LucyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 AM

My $1200 check was deposited this morning. I feel a little guilty getting free money when my monthly pension check is not affected (we won't talk about my tanking 403b) while others are struggling. I spent the morning choosing 3 perfect organizations to donate half of my windfall and I'll try my best to spend the other half at small and local businesses!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-15-2020, 10:10 AM

I lost half my income (which is basically half the family income), and checks for dh, my daughter, and me barely cover rent. No worries, it'll get spent--- on rent. The other two of my kids still living at home (18y, 19y) are apparently too old AND too young to get "encouraged" by a stimulus check

We have been spending here and there the whole time- mainly at grocery stores, a few "fun items" from Amazon, and some take-out (a few times a week for the past several weeks, actually). We don't want the economy to tank. It *would* be nice to afford to get into a house, though....
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 04-15-2020, 01:25 PM

We spent money buying gardening supplies and soil. Shipping soil is expensive but I wanted it to go to a small business. I couldn’t think of anything else to buy. I bought some gifts to have delivered for the grandkids as well. But full disclosure, we own a lot and are able to grow and can food, and we have an RV that is paid off. We don’t need a lot to live happily anymore. I’m also high risk for dying of this virus should I catch it, so , depressing as it sounds, I can’t take my money with me. We already have memorial costs and cremation costs paid for.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

No problem
Old 04-15-2020, 04:29 PM

DH has to spend his on Medicare. He turned 65 in December, and got a bill for $1100 to pay for the next 6 months of medicare. After that, they will take it out of his monthly checks, but he has to pay this much up front. We wouldn't have had it if it hadn't been for the stimulus check.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Linda, that sounds weird. Are you sure it's legit? When my husband turned 65, they just started taking it out of his SS payment.

sbslab

Printer
Old 04-15-2020, 04:57 PM

My stimulus check hit the bank today. This is week five for us. I had to buy a printer/scanner in order to do my job, so a decent amount of mine went to that, along with the cords, ink, and paper needed to run it.

I teach in a Catholic school and am concerned that if we can not be in school physically in the fall, I might not have a job, so the rest goes to savings for me. .
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-15-2020, 04:58 PM

We got ours today. We didn't get the full amount. (DH makes too much, I suppose (?)).

I really don't have anything to spend it on...

I did donate to a food shelter, but beyond that...

Not going to buy gift cards as I don't want to be stuck holding them if they go under during this economic downturn...

I guess there are bigger problems to have!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-15-2020, 05:15 PM

I teach in the state pre-k program, but since I am housed in a private center I am furloughed. Unemployment hasn't started yet and will be awhile. So, outside of some painting and having someone come to clean our roof, repair our gutter, we are paying bills and holding onto sum in case unemployment doesn't start till summer, which is possible.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Not Buying Gift Cards- Business may close
Old 04-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Not going to buy gift cards as I don't want to be stuck holding them if they go under during this economic downturn...
I totally agree. This is the reason why I will not be buying gift cards during this time pandemic

Especially not to local shops that may not make it through this pandemic.

I don’t feel comfortable buying gift cards from large retailers either.

I don’t want to risk losing any money unnecessarily.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Mine will be going to part of rent and to pay dd's college deposit fees.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-15-2020, 06:00 PM

Dr. A~Thank you. Not too many people agree with me in my town...
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 04-15-2020, 06:09 PM

I agree completely with pdxteacher! Thank you for saving me time and saying what I would want to say.

I’m also of the same mindset as jov. I wish this money had gone to help people who have become unemployed due to this and to help small businesses which were forced to close.

I’m not buying gift cards either, but for a different reason. When our local businesses reopen, they will need cash coming in at that time too.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-15-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
A~Thank you. Not too many people agree with me in my town...
I agree with your reasoning too.

Our town has started something that I like where you can buy gift cards and designate a nonprofit for them to go to. So you can buy gift cards to a restaurant or grocery store, for example, and designate the food bank as the recipient and they will pass it on to those who need them.

It's a win win win!
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 04-15-2020, 06:36 PM

I'll be donating a chunk to local food pantries. My local paper has a list of restaurants that are still open, but doing curbside pick-up, so I'm thinking this may a good time to try some local restaurants and cuisines that I might not otherwise try.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-15-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Our town has started something that I like where you can buy gift cards and designate a nonprofit for them to go to. So you can buy gift cards to a restaurant or grocery store, for example, and designate the food bank as the recipient and they will pass it on to those who need them.

That's really neat!
Some local restaurants near me are delivering meals to healthcare workers in local hospitals. You can buy a meal online to be delivered. One even has the option of typing out a note that they'll write on the box!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

annie_g
Old 04-15-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Linda, that sounds weird. Are you sure it's legit? When my husband turned 65, they just started taking it out of his SS payment.
When you aren't collecting social security, they bill you for Medicare separately. My first payment was for 3 months, so they must have changed it. After that initial payment, you can choose to have them deduct it automatically from your bank account each month or get a monthly bill.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-15-2020, 07:09 PM

Thanks, jov, it sounded like he was already collecting SS, but maybe not.

Ima Spedtcher

Iím sorry but
Old 04-15-2020, 08:42 PM

If I ever get mine it will be put into savings.

Our governor announced today that he is cutting all salaries of state workers by 20% (teachers are all state workers) including first responders (well some first responders are only getting a 10% pay cut, but my DH is a first responder getting a 20% cut) and these pay cuts will last a minimum of 2 years.

We live in a very very high cost of living area, I am lucky to say that we are not living pay check to pay check and have some savings, but for both of us to take a 20% pay cut for the next two years is really huge. My effort to stimulate the economy is going to be by paying my mortgage and basic bills and trying not to fall into debt, one or both of us may need to be taking on another job just to keep up.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-15-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Spedtcher
Our governor announced today that he is cutting all salaries of state workers by 20% (teachers are all state workers) including first responders (well some first responders are only getting a 10% pay cut, but my DH is a first responder getting a 20% cut) and these pay cuts will last a minimum of 2 years.
Ugh! I'm so sorry to hear that! I doubt teacher salaries ever went back up far enough after the great furlough of 2009- a 20% cut is HUGE What is UP with HI governors?? I think saving your money does make the most sense.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Spedteacher
My effort to stimulate the economy is going to be by paying my mortgage and basic bills
Iím so so sorry about your cuts. 20% is huge. I hope you can feel me sending sympathy and concern.

Of course youíre not spending the stimulus check frivolously. I really wasnít recommending that. I am so sorry that I posted originally. I truly was thinking of the economy. I didnít mean to be bossy and apparently thatís how I came off. Of course people should make their own choices and spend/save as they wish. Please accept my most sincere apology.